Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, the bike suddenly won’t start. It’s kept indoor garage 60+ degrees room temperature at all time, checked the battery level is 98% charged. The digital gauge runs perfectly fine when I turned the key and no error code displayed. Pressed the ignition button just clicking sound and engine won’t run... Anyone have similar issue and were able to resolved it Please let me know! Thank!
I attached a link where you can see and hear how’s happens
https://youtu.be/pvTClyIDgJg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dash lights check ok when key is turned to on position? Does the fuel pump prime? Blown fuse?
Dash lights runs perfectly fine and ticking sounds when pressing the ignition button, I guess that means starter is working

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would start by trying with a different battery you could have a bad cell which limits the cranking amps available to start the engine, when was the last time it started with the same battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would start by trying with a different battery you could have a bad cell which limits the cranking amps available to start the engine, when was the last time it started with the same battery?
Started the bike 2 weeks ago no problem at all, I plugged the battery charger and it shows 96% charged and only takes few minutes to fully charged. But still won’t starts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jump Her...

@Kitt; what's your status?
Do you have a friend who can come by and attempt to jump your bike. I ran into a biker at a gas station last summer. He pumped and when he went to re-start...same situation. So, I pulled up beside him and a lady let us use her cables and VROOM.

Keep Us Posted...Ducati Speed

·
Registered
439 Posts
Replace the battery.

It can show 99% charge, but it isn't the full capacity of a healthy battery and you aren't performing a full diagnostic of the battery with a charger. It doesn't take much to light the dash and click the solenoid, but there doesn't sound like it has enough oomph to turn the starter motor.

Reactions: Dingo and Kitt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Replace the battery.

It can show 99% charge, but it isn't the full capacity of a healthy battery and you aren't performing a full diagnostic of the battery with a charger. It doesn't take much to light the dash and click the solenoid, but there doesn't sound like it has enough oomph to turn the starter motor.

If you have jumper cables, attach it to a car battery without starting the car. This should give you enough juice to turn the starter verify if its the battery or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Kitt; what's your status?
Do you have a friend who can come by and attempt to jump your bike. I ran into a biker at a gas station last summer. He pumped and when he went to re-start...same situation. So, I pulled up beside him and a lady let us use her cables and VROOM.

Keep Us Posted...Ducati Speed
Yea, it turned out to be a dead battery, I took it out and hook up the jumper directly to positive and negative and it fired right up. I believe even the charger indicates 96% charged but it doesn’t have enough amp to crank it up. Btw, is this the oem battery? since I’m not the original owner not sure if this is a replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got it working, look on the old battery for a date stamp should be there somewhere, it does look like OEM

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yea, it turned out to be a dead battery, I took it out and hook up the jumper directly to positive and negative and it fired right up. I believe even the charger indicates 96% charged but it doesn’t have enough amp to crank it up. Btw, is this the oem battery? since I’m not the original owner not sure if this is a replacement.
I switched mine to a Shorai on both the Panigale and the RR. Saves weight, provides more cranking amps, and you can go longer without charging.

Yuasa looks like the stock battery, but I wouldn't go back to stock if I had a choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I switched mine to a Shorai on both the Panigale and the RR. Saves weight, provides more cranking amps, and you can go longer without charging.

Yuasa looks like the stock battery, but I wouldn't go back to stock if I had a choice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts