Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Carbon Fiber wheels but the ones I would like for the 959 are 6" wide as opposed to the 5.5" OEM's.
I'm concerned with altering the handling and traction control of the bike by using a bigger size rear tire than the 180/60 OEM to properly fit the new wider wheel.
For those of you who have replaced your 5.5" OEM with 6" forged or CF wheels, what size tire are you using?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm looking at Carbon Fiber wheels but the ones I would like for the 959 are 6" wide as opposed to the 5.5" OEM's.
I'm concerned with altering the handling and traction control of the bike by using a bigger size rear tire than the 180/60 OEM to properly fit the new wider wheel.
For those of you who have replaced your 5.5" OEM with 6" forged or CF wheels, what size tire are you using?
I put the stock size Supercorsa tires on my Rotobox wheels and am not seeing any ill effects or significant changes in the feel of the handling. Though, I did make the change early in my ownership, so I had not spent a great deal of time getting used to the bike before moving to the 6" rear.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had reservations at first, however Jarel (Ducati Omaha) and Sasha (carbon 899) both went with the 180. I appreciate the link and the opinions of the contributors, however there does not appear to be an agreement as to whether it is advisable, safe, or advantageous.

And this can be applied to many aftermarket wheels that are not available in the stock 5.5 width or going with a 190 on the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be great to have an official opinion from Ducati about alternate tire size recommendation for 6" wheels such as they have provided for the DTC level 7 setting which has been calibrated using Rain tires (Pirelli Diablo Rain size 190/60 ZR17 at the rear) which are bigger than the OEM size for the 5.5" rims. ( see 959 owners manual page 65~66)

·
Registered
439 Posts
It sure would. But short of that, I can only go on anecdotal evidence and it seems to point toward there not being any issues. I realize that I have made mention of DTC as it relates to changing tire sizes and wheel changes are not much different. However, with all the SSSA conversions and moves to 200 rears, I am not sure that going up or down one or two levels on the DTC will be all that noticeable unless you are really pushing it in the corners and only then it would take a little fine tuning if you are not finding it engages soon enough or engages too soon.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would agree with that from a TC perspective as it may not be noticeable, especially for me.
From a proper fitting perspective, I'm thinking about a 190/55 for a 6" rim.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes, I would agree with that from a TC perspective as it may not be noticeable, especially for me.
From a proper fitting perspective, I'm thinking about a 190/55 for a 6" rim.
This chart would support your choice:

https://ridewrightwheels.com/pages/motorcycle-tire-wheel-fitment-chart

180/55-17 5.50 - 6.00

180/60-17** 4.50 - 5.5
** Only 180/60-17 Dunlop GT502 , Pirelli Night Dragon and Michelin Scorcher 31 tire fits on 17x4.5 rim

190/50-17 6.00 - 6.50

190/55-17 6.00 - 6.50

190/60-17 5.00 - 6.00

"Correct rim width may be critical to handling and stability. A tire which is installed on a wider than recommended rim will have a "flattened" profile, and a rider may easily reach the edge of the tread during cornering. A narrow rim will alter the tire profile, with a smaller contact patch during braking. Fitment to these rims may result in slippage or air loss. And roughly each additional 0.5" of rim width will be approximately 0.25" more in each tire width"

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very interesting. AMS Ducati Dallas didn't seem to have a problem when they recommended sticking with the stock size or didn't encounter any issues installing the tire on the Rotobox 6" wheels.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Stock size would be preferred.
Getting lighter wheels that require less input only to mount wider and heavier tires which require more input defeats the purpose.
I'll try to get more guidance on this before proceeding.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds like a rotobox specific problem, the BSTs are 5.5"

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not just Rotobox unfortunately. The BST Rapid TEK's I'm contemplating for the 959 are 6" only.

Rapid TEK Carbon Fiber Wheels | BlackStone Tek
Oh yeah I forgot about the new ones, I guess I assumed that they would be the same. Interesting, I guess they are kinda take downs from the SL wheel. Unless you are in love with way they look why not just get the orig style?? Negate this issue all together.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, I guess they are kinda take downs from the SL wheel. Unless you are in love with way they look why not just get the orig style?
Yes, they do take an SL spin and they're also available in red cf. I can't deny that there is a bling factor involved.
I can wait and see if BST intends to make them in 5.5" as their other models.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would think a 190/55 would be ideal in that situation. Same circumference as a 180/60 but in a tire width made for a 6" rim. Just a quick off the top of my head thought.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest news about BST Rapid Tek Wheels

Just received a reply from Charmaine at BST.
She wrote:

"We do have it planned to produce a 5.5” rear, however it won’t be available in the next couple of months as the factory is jam packed with Rapid TEK orders as I am sure you can imagine and we will first concentrate on getting those orders out and then only start focussing on other sizes."

·
Registered
385 Posts
^^ Interesting, but man if Were you I would try and find a good deal on the orig style if everyone is trying to get the new ones. Mostly because 959 doesnt have the SSA so you wont really see as much of the wheel. JM2c

1 - 20 of 29 Posts