Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need a new chain and sprockets for my 959 soon. What have you guys switched out to? And is it easy to change yourself? Or is this something I'd be better off to pay the dealer? I have over 12,000 miles and 10 track days on it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sprocket Center

DID and superlite sprockets (go +2 rear!)

Sprokects are ok, front takes a little patience if you keep the foot rest mount on.

But, to be honest if you need to ask on how to swap a chain out then you better get somebody else to do it.
Rivet chains are not something to mess around DIY if you dont know what your doing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what about -1 front? or is regular 15T ok?
-1 is ok. There are a couple of reports of chain rubbing on the front chain guide.

For me -1 Front was to much drop. We have 130kph road speed limit and I also do track days and -1 cause bike to hit limiter on straight too early.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@avigil
Changing the front sprocket necessitated a bit of work which I witnessed while my Ducati tech performed the change. I'm very pleased with the new ratio (-1F) as I can now use the 6th and we're not as lucky here in Canada as @D-StyleNZL to have a 130kph speed limit. Since I did not need a new chain, I just changed the front as it was the cheapest way to go including labor. However, given the need for a new chain, my choice may have been different.

Varied opinions and good info about front vs rear are discussed in details here:
http://www.959panigale.net/forum/959-panigale-drivetrain/1153-959-gearing-change.html

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
If you're replacing your chain and sprockets, I would recommend doing the 520 conversion. I did as @D-StyleNZL did. (DID ERV3 chain / Superlight Sprockets. Stock front, +2 Rear) New chains do not come assembled for obvious reasons, so you'll have to install the rivet style master link. Quite easy to do if you have a decent chain tool. One tip I would mention - it's much easier on your chain tool (and you) if you grind the rivets down flush with the link on the chain you're removing. Otherwise it's easy to break the pin on the chain tool that pushes out the pin on the chain. The attached pic is a small bicycle chain but it will give you a visual.

Attachments

Reactions: avigil

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you're replacing your chain and sprockets, I would recommend doing the 520 conversion. I did as @D-StyleNZL did. (DID ERV3 chain / Superlight Sprockets. Stock front, +2 Rear) New chains do not come assembled for obvious reasons, so you'll have to install the rivet style master link. Quite easy to do if you have a decent chain tool. One tip I would mention - it's much easier on your chain tool (and you) if you grind the rivets down flush with the link on the chain you're removing. Otherwise it's easy to break the pin on the chain tool that pushes out the pin on the chain. The attached pic is a small bicycle chain but it will give you a visual.
I had no problem with my Chain tool (Motion Pro PBR) breaking the chain. My bike is in a apartment building so no grinding unless I want the firemen to turn up.....

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I had no problem with my Chain tool (Motion Pro PBR) breaking the chain. My bike is in a apartment building so no grinding unless I want the firemen to turn up.....
I hear ya! I just found it to be much easier that way.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
They're already 520 from the factory but the Regina chains are crap

I have an AFAM chain and hard alloy sprockets on mine and they're very good

Renthal don't last long the AFAM shows no signs of Wear at all yet
Are you in the US? You may want to look again, I believe it's a 525 stock.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Echoing @D-StyleNZL, according to the service manual, 959's have a 106 link Regina 520 ZRDK chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I may have been hallucinating too... lol!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I want to put this one to bed. I measured mine...calm down ladies.

As you can see by the attached, the measured width of my chain is just above 6mm and congruent to a 520 pitch 6.35mm.
Do you realize the work you guys have made me do to bring this info to your attention?
I actually had to clean and lube my chain to be presentable for these photos...imagine that!
You'd think Motul and Pit-Bull should pay me a royalty check for this shameless plug.
Oh! the things I do for this forum...sheeesh!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Nice work, @DarR. The size should be stamped on the links too.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I took a peek at my stock chain, and it is a 520. Sorry about the hallucinations earlier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts