Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see Akrapovic produce any performance dyno charts for the 959 Panigale specifically comparing the full exhaust system and their slip-on exhaust relative to stock.

Prior to purchase, we should demand to see line charts showing both torque and HP:
a) for the Stock exhaust
b) for the slip-On
c) for the full EVO exhaust system

Without the above, we're just buying pie-in-the-sky. You know what PT Barnum said...

In the absence of adequate disclosure we should starve the beast until they produce evidence to support their claims.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which one of us has the coin to drop on a 5k (1/3 bike cost) to even test? :/
Of course, but that's not an issue for Akrapovic. They have all the access to the Ducati line-up.

Price will compress only if: Buyers demand full disclosure or Does NOT buy without it.
Either way, price will come down. Buying blindly only serves to exacerbate the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I can't imagine they're selling numbers equivalent to the Termi systems of old.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
their bread and butter is making exhausts for race cars - doing the bikes is an afterthought... I'm sure they have the charts and numbers but it'll take a "I know a guy" type of relationship to see them I think

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For cars! really? I did not know that to that extent. It still doesn't excuse them for their lack of disclosure but certainly explains their indifference.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I didn't already have the Nismo 370Z with the racing cat back exhaust and factory engine performance tuning, I would add an Akrapovic system to it. The GTR kit is crazy.

They have awesome Porsche, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, and Lamborghini upgrades as well.

The motorcycle exhausts are so much more expensive than the car systems due to the use of more Ti and carbon fiber. A car can afford the slightly heavier SS headers since the overall weight of the car and power.

Since we measure upgrades in grams not kilos, demand higher performance gains for minimal changes, and those welds, expect to continue paying a premium.

If you want Two Brothers for your Yamaha, then you will spend less. However those systems will fit a very wide range of bikes. One exhaust will fit anything in two models years of Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc.

That Termignoni and Akrapovic will fit Ducati Panigales and that is it. More expensive for R&D, fabrication, and inventory management.

Don't tell me about Austin Racing or SC...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Prior to purchase, we should demand to see line charts showing both torque and HP:
a) for the Stock exhaust
b) for the slip-On
c) for the full EVO exhaust system
You can get a decent deal on Slip-ons - I paid 3K CDN including install and the MAP Key. So the dealio is that this map key takes an otherwise fuel starved engine and improved the bike performance dramatically for me. Easier starts, excellent throttle response (especially at low throttle inputs - none of that on/off sensation). I don't know if the bike is faster (they say it's a 10% increase in HP) but it's much nicer to ride.

So if you figure a fuel management system is about $600 and installation of pipes $100 it's about $2300 CDN for the Slip-ons or $1700 USD. Still expensive but the same as Termi prices.

·
487 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks Akra's have gotten way too pricey now? I think its time to go back to the classics and use Termi's on Duc's again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Akra for Pani's are way to expensive.

$5500 locally for a full system for a Pani, yet $2000 for a full system for a S1000RR. One of the stupid things on owning a Ducati, the Ducati Tax on everything.

Ive seen a few Akra's for cars, but at 3-4x the price compared to a Japanese Go-fast brand, no thanks. (I paid $1600 for a full 3" Trust exhuiast for my "15 subaru STi. Akra was $6000 for a Cat back only)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I thought I read that Akra alip-ons had little gains 2-3hp peak. Full system was about 8hp peak. All for 5500!!
That's a rip-off. Plus: Show me the 959 (slip-on) chart please!
and that's on top of your $5500 valid exclamation.
Pie-In-The-Sky...boys (or snake oil to soothe the ego's) that's what their selling.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll tell you guys the full system for the "I know a guy" situation is about 2600 bucks with a map key, the markup is insane, and if you buy the system from an akra dealer it wont come with the mapkey, that is only included if you buy it directly from Ducati.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What’s the point
All exhaust Mfg can “create “ any result with in the dyno chart with a little tweaking of the fueling here or there. And they surely do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts