Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, superbikes and the duc as well! I noticed one other thread about coring, but that was about suppliers in Sydney, Australia. What I'd like to know is if anyone has cored their 959 exhaust, and would they recommend it?

Thanks all, looking forward to connecting.

Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm guessing you're only looking at at the Akrapovic cans too. The forward exit, Termigoni Evo exhaust (slip on) is more affordable last I checked. Its still a $2400 vs $700 battle though compared to coring it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing you're only looking at at the Akrapovic cans too. The forward exit, Termigoni Evo exhaust (slip on) is more affordable last I checked. Its still a $2400 vs $700 battle though compared to coring it.
Hi DJ Shrug, actually I find spending even 2400 for a slip on to be a lot. In the MX world, a slip on is well under a grand $ CAD.

It seems most agree that there are 3 purposes to aftermarket pipes; 1) sound 2) weight 3) asthetic. Personally, on the 959 the asthetic isn't much of an upgrade, and certainly not worth $1500 to me. If I were after weight, I think I'd start with wheels, which really leaves sound. From what I read, coring is comparable to the sound of slip on's, possibly even louder.

Maybe a better question, in the abscence of those on the forum who have cored, is what is the downside to coring?

Best,
Geoff

·
Registered
892 Posts
I agree. I can only speculate why the Panigale's exhaust choices are more expensive than other superbike exhausts - full exhaust systems for a R1 or RSV4 are ~2.5k MAX.

What is the downside to coring?
I've contemplated coring vs. the termi evos quite a bit. From what I've found, probably the downside to coring really only comes down to modifying a stock part (ie. can't go back to stock) and its associated downtime (yay winter). If you just buy another set of cans to core out, both are no problem.

On this site, @rrcap2001 did it to his trackbike, but eventually switched to full Akras(?). Here's the thread with a dyno chart for ants: 959 Coring and dyno. Not sure if he's active, but he'd be someone good to chime in since he made the switch.

Reactions: GL68

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I can only speculate why the Panigale's exhaust choices are more expensive than other superbike exhausts - full exhaust systems for a R1 or RSV4 are ~2.5k MAX.

I've contemplated coring vs. the termi evos quite a bit. From what I've found, probably the downside to coring really only comes down to modifying a stock part (ie. can't go back to stock) and its associated downtime (yay winter). If you just buy another set of cans to core out, both are no problem.

On this site, @rrcap2001 did it to his trackbike, but eventually switched to full Akras(?). Here's the thread with a dyno chart for ants: 959 Coring and dyno. Not sure if he's active, but he'd be someone good to chime in since he made the switch.
Very helpful DJ Shrug. Thanks mate!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Glad to help. I'm thinking about improving the fuel mapping where I could take the opportunity to simultaneously core the exhaust for next season.
The benefit boils down to sound, less heat retention and a bit more punch in the mid section.
I'm still hemming and hawing about it as it's not much to justify a $1500CAD decision where that cash could probably be best used elsewhere.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If I had to do it over, I'd probably just stick with just the slip-ons. 4k for an exhaust system is pretty ridiculous when the big four is about 1500 for a full titanium system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to help. I'm thinking about improving the fuel mapping where I could take the opportunity to simultaneously core the exhaust for next season.
The benefit boils down to sound, less heat retention and a bit more punch in the mid section.
I'm still hemming and hawing about it as it's not much to justify a $1500CAD decision where that cash could probably be best used elsewhere.
Excellent! I'm a total newb, so things like fuel mapping would never have been part of my contribution! :) So you're planning on coring with Phil as well? Very exciting. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had to do it over, I'd probably just stick with just the slip-ons. 4k for an exhaust system is pretty ridiculous when the big four is about 1500 for a full titanium system.
So @SixShock, when you say do over, you mean you had yours cored?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know plenty of Panigale owners with cored exhausts done by Phil and they are all very pleased with the results. The only caveat is that when he asks how loud you want it, you better be certain that you are prepared for what you are wishing for.

I went with the Termi on my 899 because the dealer was throwing it in at a bargain when they built it to be a replica of the R with the decals and R rear seat cover. It had the upmap and Sprint filter installed as well. Otherwise, I would have gone with the Akrapovic, but that is just me.

Now, I would consider the front exit Termi, but it wasn't available then.

Either way, removing the cats and smoothing out the midrange torque by using the upmap or another method of tuning are the main benefits of moving away from the stock exhaust. There isn't nearly as much performance being left on the table with this bike as compared with Japanese models.

Good luck and you will in for a treat if you decide to have Phil core your exhaust and you are inclined to have a deeper and louder exhaust note.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know plenty of Panigale owners with cored exhausts done by Phil and they are all very pleased with the results. The only caveat is that when he asks how loud you want it, you better be certain that you are prepared for what you are wishing for.

Good luck and you will in for a treat if you decide to have Phil core your exhaust and you are inclined to have a deeper and louder exhaust note.
Yes, deeper & louder is what I'm after. Phil recommended the mid-range loudness vs the insane loudness! ?

My understanding is the mid range is comparable or slightly louder than Ti-Akra slip on's. Does that seem right?

Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Indeed... by removing the cats and increasing the airflow, you should be getting an exhaust resembling the Akrapovic or Termignoni more closely just without the lighter Ti.

Just make sure that you consider replacing the air filter at the same time to match the flow of air in with the flow out.

The recommendations between the brands vary and I went with the Sprint provided by the Ducati Termignoni kit. Another option is the MWR.

If you have given Phil a sense of what you are looking for, I would follow his recommendation.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@GL68 lives in CANADA
A full system that you're suggesting would cost him as follows:
$3928.46 USD
$1178.54 USD:CAD FX @1.3
$663.91 Taxes (GST, PST, or HST)
-----------------------
$5770.91 CAD
Plus a flash or fuel map system ($500~ $800 CAD)
Plus import tariffs. ($422.21 CAD) as these parts are made outside of the NAFTA region.
Plus shipping and custom brokerage fees.
-----------------------
All-In, approximately $7000 CAD

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

Although there's nothing rational about buying motorcycles or parts thereof, $5800 CAD plus tax will buy you a 1299 over a 959 and produce 40hp more.
Plus, the 1299 has a lot more bells and whistles.

Here's another way to look at this:
A full Akra system (with all priced-in) is half the cost of a low mileage pre-owned 2016 959 in Canada.

@MotoMillion if we could get an Akra slip-on for less than US$2000, I think many of us would buy them. At current prices, they're hard to justify.

Reactions: theone
1 - 20 of 34 Posts