Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Local dealer does not have any in stock yet, I'm thinking I'll grab a V-4 base model as soon as they get one in. All the track based reviews so far have been for the V-4S Model with Ohlins. Was hoping to see a track test of the base model with the Showa/Sachs suspension. I am not overwhelmed with this suspension combination on my 959 and am hopeful they got it dialed in a bit better on the V-4. If anyone has a link to a base model track test, would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not even considering a V4. My 959 is a tremendous machine as it sits. Adding lighter wheels and better suspension bits turn it into the Ultimate machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am waiting (hoping) for the homologated version coming out next year. I really don't want a 'liter' bike that is 1103cc's. If the R is released in 2019, I will very well consider putting a deposit down. I was tempted by the Speciale, but again the displacement put me off.

By the way, I think you passed me and a buddy I was helping to break in his V-Rod. We were talking about riding with you at Flying J and then I seem to think you whizzed past at the bridge on 455. First time I have been up there since seeing you. Hopefully get to ride with you in the approaching warmer months.

Would you visit ECS or AMS to purchase? I went to see the V4S at AMS, but would likely talk to Brien when I am ready. AMS would be working on it, as they do my current Ducati, mind you...

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am waiting (hoping) for the homologated version coming out next year. I really don't want a 'liter' bike that is 1103cc's. If the R is released in 2019, I will very well consider putting a deposit down. I was tempted by the Speciale, but again the displacement put me off.

By the way, I think you passed me and a buddy I was helping to break in his V-Rod. We were talking about riding with you at Flying J and then I seem to think you whizzed past at the bridge on 455. First time I have been up there since seeing you. Hopefully get to ride with you in the approaching warmer months.

Would you visit ECS or AMS to purchase? I went to see the V4S at AMS, but would likely talk to Brien when I am ready. AMS would be working on it, as they do my current Ducati, mind you...

Yep , that was me, I was going to come back and hang out with you guys but decided to press on, didn't realize it was you though or I would have stopped for sure. Glad to see you are coming back out there, holler at me anytime and we'll go riding.

I actually like the non-standard displacement of the V-4, the extra 100cc adds a ton of midrange torque and the top end is truly something to behold. New class leader, even spanks the BMW S1000RR everywhere, stock to stock. If you are going to race it, I guess the R version is going to make more sense though.

I am still in the early stages on the V-4 and doing my research but it looks like it's going to be the crème-de la crème for some time to come. Would probably go for the Base model as I'm not completely sold on the S models semi-active Ohlins setup yet. Need to get some decent feedback from someone who's had both on the track.

My only reservation is the styling which is ...er...different. Not sure if I like it as well as the 959 as it's a bit more sharp edged and the juries still out on the "wing" looking thingies that connect the front fairing to the top of the tank.

I would probably buy from ECS as AMS will not come off sticker, or so I've heard.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
63 Posts
In Oz, there is a $10,000 difference between the bas and S. In my books, that's a lot of money to put decent suspension and other mods on a base. Talking with some suspension guru's, they all say the OEM Ohlins is all B grade stuff.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Talking with some suspension guru's, they all say the OEM Ohlins is all B grade stuff.
B Grade stuff!!! Really?
Now that's an interesting topic.

Wouldn't mind reading various opinions about this in a new dedicated thread.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@Kruz I'm considering it. I'll be keeping an eye on sales and user reviews this year.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not even considering a V4. My 959 is a tremendous machine as it sits. Adding lighter wheels and better suspension bits turn it into the Ultimate machine.

Similar feelings here.

I am drawn like a moth to a flame when it comes to having the latest and greatest, but I know in my case, that is just a compensation for avoiding doing the hard work to really maximize my own skill development, and the potential of the machine I am with.

That is just my own self assessment, not projecting it upon anyone else.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you can afford it, go get it. I would. haha

It has nothing to do with being able to afford it, personally - I don’t Want it. There’s a distinct difference!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'll be replacing my 1199 with one in either 2018 or 2019. I will FOR SURE be getting the "S" model. I've learned my lesson with the base 1199. (although I added Ohlins) The extra money I've gone through in tires alone is worth the upgrade. @Kruz, I seriously believe if you're going to be aggressively riding, or tracking these machines the auto suspension is money well spent. I have witnessed first hand the differences in tire wear between bikes with the auto suspension and those without. (not just Ducati) And unless you're a suspension tuning guru (which 99% of us are not) it's the way to go, IMO. It's one huge headache taken out of the way. ; )

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Oz, there is a $10,000 difference between the bas and S. In my books, that's a lot of money to put decent suspension and other mods on a base. Talking with some suspension guru's, they all say the OEM Ohlins is all B grade stuff.

I would like to know how the V-4 base suspension works when setup properly, compared to the semi-active Ohlins on the S model. The 959 has the same BPF front fork and similar Sachs rear shock to the base V-4 but I have had trouble finding that machines suspension "sweet spot", the balance between overall support and bump compliance that works on anything other than a billiard table smooth road or track.

I know the BPF can work well as I have it on quite a few of my other bikes and it's outstanding but the 959 seems like the internals may be specced differently. This is not to say that the V-4 base model will not have completely different internal setup being it's on a flagship model.

The reason I bring this all up, there were several reports that the base 1199 Panigale suspension, Marzocchi/Sachs stuff, actually performed better on that machine than the first generation semi-active Ohlins setup.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be replacing my 1199 with one in either 2018 or 2019. I will FOR SURE be getting the "S" model. I've learned my lesson with the base 1199. (although I added Ohlins) The extra money I've gone through in tires alone is worth the upgrade. @Kruz, I seriously believe if you're going to be aggressively riding, or tracking these machines the auto suspension is money well spent. I have witnessed first hand the differences in tire wear between bikes with the auto suspension and those without. (not just Ducati) And unless you're a suspension tuning guru (which 99% of us are not) it's the way to go, IMO. It's one huge headache taken out of the way. ; )
Good information Doug, in my previous post I had mentioned the 1199. I believe Fast Bikes was one of the Brit mags that said they actually preferred the base model setup on the original 1199 compared with the Ohlins on the S.

I'll look for the article.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has nothing to do with being able to afford it, personally - I don’t Want it. There’s a distinct difference!

Oh but I do....lol!

Reactions: Dingo

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Good information Doug, in my previous post I had mentioned the 1199. I believe Fast Bikes was one of the Brit mags that said they actually preferred the base model setup on the original 1199 compared with the Ohlins on the S.

I'll look for the article.
Interesting.... I know some guys who tracked with the base 1199 stuff, but most I know either upgraded to Ohilns / Penske or did the "S" thing! I'm tired of constantly messing with my suspension settings to try and save on tire wear. I was lucky to get one full track day on a set of slicks last year. :|

·
Registered
239 Posts
I actually like the non-standard displacement of the V-4, the extra 100cc adds a ton of midrange torque and the top end is truly something to behold. New class leader, even spanks the BMW S1000RR everywhere, stock to stock. If you are going to race it, I guess the R version is going to make more sense though.
Even if you are going to race it the bigger motor will be better. In my local racing club a open 4cyl bike is 751cc and up, there is no max cc.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even if you are going to race it the bigger motor will be better. In my local racing club a open 4cyl bike is 751cc and up, there is no max cc.
Good point, there is no replacement for displacement.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 191 Posts