Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I installed my sprint air filter today, and I am waiting for them to send me the tuned file to push to the ecu and then I can take it for a ride. I will also try to get it on a dyno and do back to back runs with the stock map and tuned map and post the results.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I looked into them and decided to go with a LogBox from Woolich Racing. The deciding factor for me was being able to tune myself without issue, in addition to the Auto-tune feature.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Brentuning for the Panigale? I emailed them and they do have it for the 959, it's just not on the website yet. It is a handheld flash tuner not a piggyback system. The BMW folks seem to love them. Any thoughts?
https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2012-ducati-1199srsl-tuning-handheld/
Not necessarily for the Panigale but I have read comments about them for the Monster 1200. See Teqtonix's experience here:
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forum...onster-1200-re-mapping-ecu-6.html#post3142657

I echo @Dingo on this one as I prefer the option of fine-tuning the AFR at home. I have both had a Rexxer flash and a Rapidbike unit. I much prefer the latter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have done everything from Power Commanders, to FTECU, TuneECU, Rexxer, Bazzaz and there was an aftermarket ECU that Mark at The Ducshop installed to my SF1098... Microtek?

Anyway, yeah, I usually prefer the entire custom mapping of my bike, but the BrenTune seems to get solid results. Yes it is a "canned" map, but so is the stock map that the bike ships with. It's not like the stock map is dialed in for max power... It's dialed in to get "good enough, while meeting emissions compliance"... And it doesn't account for variations from bike to bike.

At least a "canned" tune from BrenTune had a lot of work go into it, based on the mods you do. It will be much better and closer than what the bike shipped with.

For the cost, I could have taken it to Mark and had him toss it on the dyno with TuneBoy and make it perfect... But I liked the idea of me having this tablet to install different maps and return it to stock if the bike needs to go in for warranty work... Or being able to reset my own maintenance minders and check and clear codes, make adjustments, etc...

So if this map takes the stock mapping and improves it and gets it to 98% of what a custom dyno tuned map would give me, but I get the box and get the other features I mentioned, that's good enough...

My 959 is bone stock, other than the Sprint high flow filter, I pulled off the exhaust valve cable but left the servo plugged in... went up 3 teeth on the rear sprocket and installed a +2 link gold chain to keep the stock wheelbase...

My goal was more aggressive throttle response, clean up some lean spots and pick up power anywhere that I can. They said that 8-10hp is typical with their tune and the air filter, even with the stock exhaust, and I will put that to the test when I get the tuned file from them and get this on a dyno...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
@SquireSCA
Those are all good points. Please do keep us posted if you get it on the dyno.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Will do, might be a couple weeks till the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked into them and decided to go with a LogBox from Woolich Racing. The deciding factor for me was being able to tune myself without issue, in addition to the Auto-tune feature.
Is the LogBox a piggyback system like a Power Commander or does it change the actual fuel map? Can you adjust the timing map as well?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Is the LogBox a piggyback system like a Power Commander or does it change the actual fuel map? Can you adjust the timing map as well?
No, it's not a piggyback system, however the AutoTune feature will allow you to make immediate changes because its always updating based on current sensor readings. Visit their website or watch the youtube videos on the feature, it's pretty slick. Adjusting the timing map is extremely laborious and needs to be done on a dyno to check immediate results. I think they are adjustable with the LogBox.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I installed the map that Chris from BrenTune sent me and fired it up, but it's been crazy cold(for Atlanta), like barely cracking 40 degrees, so I have not had a chance to go out and ride it yet. Am waiting to hear from my dyno guy if he can squeeze me in this weekend, if he can, I will trailer it over there in the rain if I have to. Likely it will be next weekend or something.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had the bike on the dyno, and the BrenTune map made 3hp LESS than stock. It’s way too rich, but even if it wasn’t, I don’t see it making more than 2-3hp over stock. Gonna talk to Chris tomorrow and see if he has any suggestions...

Reactions: RCEE

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can I ask what the realistic desired out come was here?? Was it HP or just cleaning up the curves? I am not trying to sounds like a jerk here I am just not sure what could be realisticly be gained from tuning a stock setup. What does Brentuning charge to do this? do you have to pay more for them to continue working on it?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can I ask what the realistic desired out come was here?? Was it HP or just cleaning up the curves? I am not trying to sounds like a jerk here I am just not sure what could be realisticly be gained from tuning a stock setup. What does Brentuning charge to do this? do you have to pay more for them to continue working on it?
I paid $649 plus shipping for the box. You plug it in, download your current map, and send it to them. They look at it and send you a list of questions as to what mods you are running, riding style, what type of gas you are running, etc... and then customize it and send you back a map to download into the ECU.

I went that route instead of letting Mark Sutton tune it with TuneBoy, because I wanted the box to clear codes and maintenance minders, plus, if it had to go in for warranty work, I didn't want to have to book time and make a 100 mile round trip to The Ducshop to flash it back to stock, then take it to the dealer, then take it back to Ducshop to flash it back to the custom map, etc...

BrenTune seemed like the way to go... In talking to them for months prior to the purchase, they said they typically see 8-10hp gains with their map and the Sprint filter. I take that with a grain of salt, but I wasn't expecting to LOSE power, that's for sure...

I have some emails with them and we will see what they think...

In the end I might have to have Mark at Ducshop custom tune it, downloading THAT tune into my BT box, and then I can flash that to my bike and back to stock when needed...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Talked to Chris at BT and I can't have Ducshop tune it and then pull that map into the BT module... He is having his tuner look at the run files I sent him and he will see what he recommends... Don't take my experience as an indicator that his product isn't good. It could be some issue with my bike, or something as silly as them sending me a map for a full exhaust and it's too rich on my mostly stock setup...

In they end, my bike is a little rich stock, which surprised me. Normally they run crazy lean from the factory, but my AFR with the stock map at 100% throttle is under 13, which is unusual for stock... Normally it's always been in the 14-15 range and richening it up makes things better. Not this time, it looks like leaning it out might be the key to getting a little more power... or modding the exhaust for more flow, which would lean things out a tad...

I could probably put a slipon on here and not have to worry about a remap or upmap key... Maybe I should do that and call it a day?

·
Registered
190 Posts
What my tuner told me is this... If you have a bike that is restricted... the handheld tuners are great as they unrestrict them, hence why things like BrenTune do so well with bikes like the S1000rr.

But I don't think that Panigale 959 is restricted. There is nothing really holding it back, so the gains to be had from optimized fueling are small, unless you are doing both intake and exhaust modifications that significantly alter flow...

On a stock bike, all I did was put on a freer flowing air filter. The exhaust is stock. Maybe a slipon would make a difference, but the cheapest ones are like $1500, which is a lot for just a slipon...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well at $650 and all your time you are not that far off from a slip on
In retrospect, yeah. I should have just put the money towards the slipon and called it a day... Oh well...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't think so, it is now coded to my ECU serial number or the bike's VIN.

I mean, even if their map isn't good for this bike, I still get the other benefits of being able to pull and clear diag code, reset the maintenance minder, reset the TPS, APS and Adaptives, etc...

But if I have to make trips and pay for dyno time to verify their maps or give them input on how to modify my maps, that can get expensive fast, especially if I have to do it a few times to get it dialed in. I think that knowing what I know now, I would have just gone to get the bike custom mapped on the dyno with TuneBoy or slapped on a slipon...

Off topic but maybe you will know this...

I looked at where the AIS hose(I think) goes into the rear cylinder head where AIS blockoff plates would be installed. I then followed the hose up to where it appears to connect to something on the right side of the airbox, about halfway forward, on the bottom. I have a pick of the hose attached to where I think the blockoff plate would go, and then the hole on the inside of the airbox where I plugged it with a screw in expanding plug...

Based on what you see, did I do this right? Is that hole that I plugged(circled in red) the air inlet for the AIS system?

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
At this point, BrenTune wants me to put the bike back on the dyno and get a bunch of runs with AFR, so that I can send them the files, have them create a new map, and then put it on a dyno a third time and see if that works...

At this point, I would recommend NOT getting the BrenTune box for other Panigale 959 owners, and my reason is simple...

A canned map, isn't a benefit most of the time. Not when in the end it costs MORE than handing your bike to a good tuner, who can use Tuneboy or something and custom map your bike to perfection.

So far I have $700 into the BT box with tax, and half a tank of gas plus $125 in dyno time to trailer my bike 100 miles round trip, to find out that the BT map is worse than stock. And in order to get it right, I have to make at least two more trips over there to get the data for a tune, and then go verify the tune.

Which puts me at over $1000 all in, plus a LOT of my time and miles on my truck...

Or, I could have dropped off my bike at The Ducshop, and Mark would have charged me $250 for the Tuneboy license and then a few hundred for some dyno time to tune it. Basically, for $600 I would have have had the bike custom mapped to perfection and called it a day... Lesson learned.

I am not badmouthing BrenTune or their product, but my experience wasn't what I expected. They claim significant increases with a stock system, but I saw losses and it would cost me a few hundred more to get it right... In the end, I don't feel its a good solution for this bike, when there are so many other options available for the same price or cheaper.

What I ended up with, was a $700 box to clear my check engine light every 7500 miles. haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts