Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a lot of tips from the other Ducati forums regarding caring for the matte paint. What I've come to doing myself today was buying some glass cleaner (Invisible Glass) in a spray cleaner and some microfiber towels and gently wiped off bug and small dirt smudges.

:nerd:

The under tail was tough, and I was having to use elbow grease. I recommend something stronger at that point. I'm unsure of what I'll use next time, but I figured out that the Arctic Silk paint without having a regular paint will be ?impossible? to remove scratches. So do use a clean microfiber towel and don't go crazy hard applying elbow grease where it's not necessary. Hence use something stronger for these smudges. An online youtube video for a white 899 panigale shows the guy using isopropyl alcohol for the harder smudges. This is up for debate for me.

:nerd:

Now the rims. The front one was easy and looks good with just some glass cleaner, but the rear one I couldn't wash with just invisible glass. I read online that the vets use WD40 applied to a rag and carefully cleaned as to not touch the tires. Then the real pro's will wipe off the WD40 because it actually attracts more grime.

TLDR;
Washing:
soap & water or Chemical Guys "METICULOUS MATTE AUTO WASH FOR SATIN FINISH & MATTE FINISH PAINT"

Spot cleaning:
Invisible Glass Spray or Chemical Guys "METICULOUS MATTE DETAILER & SPRAY SEALANT" (UV Protection)

Red rear rim gunk (chain lube/grease):
WD40 - don't let it touch tires/plastics. Red wheels are powder coated (apparent reason for white vs red price difference, source?)
Wipe/Remove as much WD40 as you can as it promotes aggregating grime.

Protection/Sealant:
Chemical Guys "JETSEAL MATTE SEALANT AND PAINT PROTECTANT"

---

Give me some paint care tips!

Links:
=========================================
White Silk Care and Maintenance - Page 4 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

Cleaning the Rear Red Rim - Page 4 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

Paint care for matte white & black finishes... - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Panigale Matte Paint: Clean It Cheap, Easy, & Safe

- I wish Chemical Guys would pay me

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ordered the chemicals guys matte soap, the detailer, but i'm not sure about the matte sealant. Have you used it? I heard it streaks so I am still waiting to hear from others. As for the rims, I ordered s100 wheel cleaner, the individual at the ducati dealer recommended that product. I haven't used it yet since we still have snow here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the links o_o, I'm new to this matte paint stuff; that's helpful.

Reactions: O_O

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use it all the time for lots of different jobs. It's great stuff!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I mentioned the WD-40 for cleaning the red rims on this forum in another thread. I remember someone thinking I was crazy. Thank you for redeeming me!
I think that's something which should be asked on a detailing forum since WD-40 might be bad for the paint, might not have an immediate effect but over time, something could happen.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I had heard about these issues with maintaining the matte white so decided to go with red. I've had mixed results in the past with matte finishes on helmets, some are easy to keep clean and durable, others will scratch if you look at them wrong.

Reactions: NCducati959

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had heard about these issues with maintaining the matte white so decided to go with red. I've had mixed results in the past with matte finishes on helmets, some are easy to keep clean and durable, others will scratch if you look at them wrong.
Gf has the Arai Guigliano Matt Chaser v and now a white 899 to go with it! The Arai has many stone chips from her following me on her monster 696 . I guess she thinks with the 899 there's a chance she'll be in front - we'll see!

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's quite impressive. Did you coat the wheel with anything to protect it? That might go a long way in keeping it clean and even making cleaning easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For those who used Chemical Guys matte jetseal or whatever its called, what do you guys think of the product? Does it leave streak marks?

And should it be applied right away when I get my bike?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another question, can i use motul chain cleaner to clean the rims? I am having a tough time removing grease from them.

·
Registered
87 Posts

That's what I ordered for everyday cleaning. It works great.

I also ordered this one, but have yet to apply it. I heard good things about it also.

I spray some WD40 on a soft cloth to clean the wheels. It works really good against the grease and gets the wheels really clean. After the WD40 I follow it up with some Invisible Glass.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
With regard to keeping her clean, I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish, which I've been using for over 20 years :grin2: - on everything. It's that good there's no need to even try anything else. My first bike never saw water, meaning I never Washed it - I Cleaned it (with Honda cleaner) after every ride. I'll continue that tradition with the new 959 and so far all the bugs and grease from the new chain don't even leave a mark. I Highly recommend anyone with a White 959 to get this cleaner! :wink2:

My salesman tried to sell me on Plexus spray cleaner, which claims to do exactly the same thing the Honda polish does, but for 4X the cost :surprise:
Forget about using harsh chemicals like WD40 (which is evaporative brake cleaner) on your painted surfaces - do it right the first time with the Honda cleaner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts