Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't understand the whole "I'll never use water again" thing. Why not? What's wrong with water? What do you do after a rain ride? Things like the radiators or radiator guards, how do you get all dead bugs and dirt out of the crevices?

I've always enjoyed washing my vehicles and I'm kind of a die-hard bucket and hose guy. I love the ease and convenience of spray cleaners, but sometimes the bike just needs a good bath. I use the Chemical Guys trio on my AWS 899 and I'm very happy with them.

-The meticulous matte soap works great, very foamy, pH balanced, and it smells so good...what more could you ask for?

-The meticulous matte detailer is my favorite. I use it to wipe down the bike after every ride. It's amazing how long the bottle lasts too. I'm still on my first 16oz bottle and I've had the bike for 20 months.

-There have been mixed reviews on the Jet Seal but I've had good results with it. Probably wont hurt to skip it if you keep the bike clean. It doesn't really do much visually, maybe add a little depth, but I just use it for the protection. A little goes a long way, you only need a thin layer. Buy the tiny bottle, it lasts forever. I've never had any issues with streaking.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
What's wrong with water?
Water is a solvent and only quickens the rust process on parts like the rotors, couplings and nuts and bolts. Any metal that's not pure aluminum on the bike will rust and not all stainless steel is impervious.

... What do you do after a rain ride? Things like the radiators or radiator guards, how do you get all dead bugs and dirt out of the crevices?...
Even when I was in NY years ago I never rode in the rain, nor got caught in the rain. My bikes are for pleasure and checking the weather before a ride ensured I'd get back dry and the bike clean. Today there's no issue with rain over here :wink2:
Dirt? What's that? It's not a dirt bike! For the dead bugs I use an old toothbrush to scrape whatever's left off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Water is a solvent and only quickens the rust process on parts like the rotors, couplings and nuts and bolts. Any metal that's not pure aluminum on the bike will rust and not all stainless steel is impervious.

Even when I was in NY years ago I never rode in the rain, nor got caught in the rain. My bikes are for pleasure and checking the weather before a ride ensured I'd get back dry and the bike clean. Today there's no issue with rain over here :wink2:
Dirt? What's that? It's not a dirt bike! For the dead bugs I use an old toothbrush to scrape whatever's left off.
Fair enough, whatever works for you. I like riding my bike regardless of weather though. Rain rides are strangely fun. I'm honestly not worried about corrosion at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fair enough, whatever works for you. I like riding my bike regardless of weather though. Rain rides are strangely fun. I'm honestly not worried about corrosion at all.
Yep, he's in the red bike thread telling me I'm wrong too. 700,000 street miles and a lot of rain and washing. I thought I knew better, haha. This was today, I use a leaf blower to dry it and do proper chain maintenance. I'd rather ride it than worry about a fastener that has never given me trouble in the recent past.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The fear of rust must be from growing up in the north or something. I've owned a rusty car so I understand, but completely avoiding water is a little overkill.

If something rusts I'll replace it, no big deal. Hopefully I can still get that 6 year extended warranty...lol

I bet it's nice for resale value though. "Never seen rain", even I would pay a little extra for that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your thoughts...?
I bougth it last week and used it this morning to clean the bike, incredible. I cleaned the rims with a paper towel, and the grease, specially the back wheel, came out right away, leaving it in mint condition again. Quick and easy. :grin2: Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I "wax" my fairings lightly and haven't seen any degraded appearance of my AWS paint; no shine. Just clean your bike every once in a while and get out and ride it.
Someone finally said it!!

If you get caught in the rain enough times, you'll get over it. There's no way I could have washed my bike yesterday with only Honda cleaner. I would have used the entire can and still scratched the h*ll out of it.

I wash with water and soap, and very occasionally wax it. The washing over the course of 58,000 miles has made the bike way less matte than it used to be. It's almost a gloss now compared to a brand new white 959 (but the pearl shows up better now)!

I lightly brush kerosene on the undertail and rear wheel (mine is powdercoated aftermarket) to get all of the grimy chain wax or anything else (blacktop sealer) that gets stuck to it.

You'd be amazed at how much gunk gets caught in both radiators, on top of the motor in the rear, on top of the cans and the exhaust split, even in the calipers, etc. If you guys are riding and not washing with soap and water, you're missing some serious bits and pieces of the bike. And the rusting of the calipers argument, are we being serious right now? Every rotor on production cars suffers from the same thing, it goes away when you start moving and use the brakes. :|

Here's the way I look at it. I bought the bike to ride it. If something happens and I end up repainting fairings or buying new ones, no big deal. I keep my bike up even though I ride the crap out of it...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
@XCLR8TN because you get your bike filthy in the rain and everything else, you "ride the crap out of it..." and those that don't ride in the rain and everything else, don't ride the crap out of theirs?
Sounds like broken logic...

Just so I understand correctly - you have 58 Thousand Miles on your AWS 959? You must commute to work on it every single day to have that many miles, when did you take delivery of it?

The fact that my bike is pristine, showroom condition, with nearly 3K miles on it (I got it in April '16) and never wash it with water does not mean I don't "ride the crap out of it..." I'd have more miles on it if I had more time to put more miles on it - and I'm not counting sleeping time ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
@XCLR8TN because you get your bike filthy in the rain and everything else, you "ride the crap out of it..." and those that don't ride in the rain and everything else, don't ride the crap out of theirs?
Sounds like broken logic...

Just so I understand correctly - you have 58 Thousand Miles on your AWS 959? You must commute to work on it every single day to have that many miles, when did you take delivery of it?

The fact that my bike is pristine, showroom condition, with nearly 3K miles on it (I got it in April '16) and never wash it with water does not mean I don't "ride the crap out of it..." I'd have more miles on it if I had more time to put more miles on it - and I'm not counting sleeping time ;)
No no you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I wasn't talking about people who are riding in the rain. I meant the people that are taking them out when it's only good weather, or not using water to clean. You can ride the crap out of your bike however you see fit. I'm sure there are thousands of people who physically push the bike harder than me, ie: riding the crap out of it.

I just can't see the point in buying a bike to put a few thousand (if that) miles on it a year. Vehicles are rarely investments, but who knows. That's why I'm agreeing with JUST RIDE THE DANG THING!

I have 58k on my AWS 899, bought in April of 2014. I joined this forum because the 899 forum is dead and everyone seemed to be moving over here. There aren't a ton of differences between our bikes, and the 899 guys/gals (like me) can help answer some questions if need be since we've been through it already.

As far as the mileage--I actually didn't ride the bike to work much at all until this year. I rode it to/from (50 miles total) maybe 5 days a month. Not much to make a dent in the total mileage IMO. :wink2:

I can't link any images yet so I can't prove this to you, lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I gave the Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish (HSCP) a try as suggested by @Dingo

This stuff is magical. Prior to the HSCP , I used water and a couple drops of dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle. I tried cleaning the gummy residue from the chain off the plastics but it would just spread. I would have needed a lot of elbow grease to get it off the plastics and rims. With the HSCP, it was effortless to get the grime off. Bugs would wipe off just as effortlessly. I'm on the Honda Spray Cleaner bandwagon now.

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts