Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the axle blocks flipped measure up to a tooth count? I.E. short vs long equals 2 teeth on rear?

t_bare

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it just changes your total wheel base. Shorter easier to turn less stable.
Umm, well, it kinda affects chain tension too. So, does it affect chain tension proportionately with a tooth count?

:wink2:
t_bare

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes and you can see it in the previous photo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and you can see it in the previous photo.
Yeah, that is not my question. My question is, "Does the block flip equate to a number of teeth?" i.e. pos 1= 44 Pos 2 = 45

t_bare

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
"Does the block flip equate to a number of teeth?"
The best I can say is that it made the wheelbase longer than required to account for one tooth less off the front sprocket. The adjuster re-shortened the wheelbase. Unless I'm missing something, the point is moot that the flip equates to a specific number of rear teeth as you will need a longer chain to increase the size of the rear sprocket. Consequently, It's your chain length that will dictate which way the axle block will go to minimize altering the stock wheelbase once you increase the rear sprocket. If anything, the block flip equate to a specific number of millimeters lengthening of the wheelbase.

Post edit:
Following further reflection in practical terms, If you were to have a chain length that would accommodate a 45T, I believe that flipping the axle block may be sufficient to pick-up the slack when quick-changing the rear sprocket to a 44T.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post edit:
Following further reflection in practical terms, If you were to have a chain length that would accommodate a 45T, I believe that flipping the axle block may be sufficient to pick-up the slack when quick-changing the rear sprocket to a 44T.
Welcome to the question, I too "Believe" the flip would be adequate, but is there a number of teeth? It's ok that you don't know. I though maybe there is a maybe someone out there that is swapping sprockets and might share some insight. It would be a nice perk to be able to do quick change sprocket carriers and the flip the blocks and get back on the track, perhaps run a 45 on the OEM wheels and a 44 on lighter wheels. Also curious how thoughtful the engineers and designers, surely they didn't just pull a measurement from the butts.

t_bare

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here's a clue that may provide some confirmation:
I've set gearing commander to:
Stock 15/43
Current 15/44
Custom 15/45
Chain link was held constant at 106.

The largest sprocket distance between the front and the rear measured in mm is less than 9mm comparing 43 with 45.
Although I don't have an axle block at hand that I can measure, I do believe that the flip is worth at least 9mm.
Consequently, there should be no issues going from 44 to 45 and vice versa.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can run a 45t rear sprocket with the OEM chain and blocks flipped, the "flip" may work with the 43 vs 45t without adjustment but I changed chain and sprockets at the same time.

t_bare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts