Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've registered for Pro6 TRAC School, a two day course taught by Pro Superbike riders (don't know who yet).
For those that have taken such a course leading to your racing license, please chime-in, share your experiences and pointers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Every year, my local racing org hosts a racing school that is half a day of class and basically a discounted track day which provides an opportunity to complete prereqs to obtain racing license at the end. There's about 30 minutes of going over the basics of the rulebook (bike classes, tech rules, etc.) and then another ~3 hours of classroom for riding technique. The day of the on-track portion, the org brings in the top racers of the previous season for a 1:3~ish teacher:student ratio and the teachers ride the track with the students from 8AM-5PM (assigned by the student's indicated lap time or lack of).

When I completed it last year, groups went on for 30 minutes at time and the teacher increased the pace each time going out, asked for questions, followed/led the students, and gave feedback to each student. It's not as taxing as a track day as the pace is more controlled and you're confined with the teacher. I thought this was great as you could milk your teacher as much as you wanted. If your school is similar to this (I doubt you'll be getting any time with either of the CSBK riders) try to get as much out of the teacher you're given, ask them to critique foundation aspects like vision or your line and stick to the main details that they give. Don't get tunneled into things like body position or lap time, those will come naturally later or during track days (unless of course they're glaring problems).

Main Tip: figure out something you really want to work on that the school can help you with and focus on that while you're there. There's 90000000 things going on and too much information, so make the best of a small set of things you want to learn/improve on. Then during following track days or schools you go to, you can focus on a different thing that you may have picked up during the previous sessions.

I opt'ed not to get my race license as I don't have a bike to race on, but will most likely complete the school again this year for my license as I've gathered everything I need >:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Every year, my local racing org hosts a racing school that is half a day of class and basically a discounted track day which provides an opportunity to complete prereqs to obtain racing license at the end. There's about 30 minutes of going over the basics of the rulebook (bike classes, tech rules, etc.) and then another ~3 hours of classroom for riding technique. The day of the on-track portion, the org brings in the top racers of the previous season for a 1:3~ish teacher:student ratio and the teachers ride the track with the students from 8AM-5PM (assigned by the student's indicated lap time or lack of).

I had a similar great experience last summer at the New Jersey Motorsports Park | Millville, NJ with the YCRS school. https://ridelikeachampion.com/

It was 2 days on both the available tracks, very small groups, excellent instruction on the track and in the classroom.

It was not a course for obtaining a track license.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts