Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '06 GSXR track bike since 2011. It was an ex-race prepped 600 SS bike. Suspension, exhaust etc the works. Engine blew up twice and ended up evolving into a SS build 750. Great bike and a good teacher. But last year I got a KTM SuperDukeGT 1290 and it opened my eyes to the fact that bikes have evolved and progressed since '06. Being an older rider, I don't know how many track seasons I have left so I figured I'd splurge & get a more modern bike, with electronics and a current gen suspension etc. Actually wanted a mid-sized bike but they don't make any: except the GSXR 750 which is the same bike it has been for 10 years+ and no electronics. The 959 was recommended by my riding coach Ken Hill. And it sort of is a mid size bike at 150-160 hp compared to the 200hp monsters that are just about every single other liter bike made. 200hp is not ideal for a trackday bike - not for me. I'm a slow A group rider or at the front end of the B group - take your pick! My primary track is the Ridge here in Washington. I ride about 18-20 track days a season -- which is darn short here!

I've had the new 959 out for a couple trips and have logged about 400 miles. I wanted to ride the thing before my first track day in late May! Glad I did. I'm impressed with the bike. Light handling/steering, great brakes, nice transmission, great quickshifter (might have to get an autoblip) and it feels small. I find the 959 street riding is a bit of a pain with the ergos and stiff suspension but it isn't really made for that - at least longer distances. But it's fun! Anyway it goes into the shop (KFG Motorsports) for the build next week. The trackday build will be pretty basic at first, I'll ride it and then we'll see.

Build plans initially are:
Sharkskinz race fairing kit
Tighttails fairing stay
Tighttails sub frame
Woodcraft rearsets
GB Racing engine covers
Woodcraft axle sliders
Techspec tank pads
Brake lever guard

We'll paint it up red with some graphics and we're off to the races...I mean track days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
track conversion done just in time for the 2 day track weekend at the Ridge! Custom Ducati stickers to class it up a bit. Paint and auto blip next. Oh, yeah, this bike is the sh ** t! Right outta the box it's great. Very light handling, fantastic brakes and gearbox, super stable, pretty seamless electronics. Its going to be a great track bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
track conversion done just in time for the 2 day track weekend at the Ridge! Custom Ducati stickers to class it up a bit. Paint and auto blip next. Oh, yeah, this bike is the sh ** t! Right outta the box it's great. Very light handling, fantastic brakes and gearbox, super stable, pretty seamless electronics. Its going to be a great track bike.

Bike looks great LOVE the decal....LOL PERFECT TOUCH....LOL ENJOY....gonna be your best season yet!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts