Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand we have a lithium ion battery on Corse which shouldn’t be charged using the regular charge maintainer 69924601A: “Use only the Ducati-approved battery charger for lithium batteries also as a maintainer. Do not use the battery charge maintainer kit part no. 69924601A (various countries), as it is specific for lead batteries.” (quote from the manual).

Ducati North America memo to dealers says that 69924821A charger should be used with lithium batteries:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153909-9999.pdf

Anyone has an experience with this specific charger on Corses?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I know it's an old thread.

Ducati basically tells us that the battery will explode if charged with anything but their overpriced chargers.
The bike itself has no special charging magic going on, just the voltage provided from generator/voltage regulator, right?
The battery has an internal BMS?
The battery survives being charged for hours on long trips.

To me this sounds like that for basic battery charging you would only have to provide whatever voltage the battery likes with an appropriate current sourcing capability and optionally set a timer for storage charging.
14-15V at 0.5-1A or so for slow charging for a LiFePO4.
Your average electric bicycle or scooter often have the BMS built in and charging is done with a simple brick PSU.

Also, what type of Lithium battery is actually in the Corse? LiPo, LiFe, Li-Ion, LiCo? Without a BMS that would make for a significant change in charging procedure.

Anyone know anything about this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts