Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
i got a call from my dealer he told me to make sure that i keep my ducati 959 panigale on the battery tender why have to keep on View attachment 13721

Like any automobile battery (car or bike), if you don't plan on running it for a while the battery will soon deplete (batteries on cars and bikes charge as you drive/ ride). During long term storage, a tender will keep your battery charged and when it's finally time for you to take your bike out, you are able to fire up the engine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Consider a lithium ion battery such as the Shorai.

It will last longer between charges, has more CCA's, and weighs less than stock. One of the least expensive and best upgrades to this bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lithium will only lose ~1% of charge per year. Of course this doesn't include parasitic draw.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Mario,

Please be a little more descriptive of your posts in the title. I'm seeing all of your threads are one word descriptions.

Thanks

-Management

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
@mario
Just to complement what @aayp wrote, do keep your battery charged. However, that does not mean it should be plugged-in all the time. AAMOF, I have actually toasted one battery from my PWC that way. What I do now is periodically top-up the charge then UN-plugging them for a few weeks & repeat thereafter. YMWV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks darr. the dealer call me again to tell me to keep the battery at the battery tender. i told him my yamaha r6 2011 never use battery tender he told me ducati is not the some. i did add a gps tracking system too. my old bike did have too. i think every few weeks i will charge the battery. i don't have the the cold start on the bike the 1 fire the bike work. i think is because i did add a heat system on my garage

·
Registered
38 Posts
@mario
Just to complement what @aayp wrote, do keep your battery charged. However, that does not mean it should be plugged-in all the time. AAMOF, I have actually toasted one battery from my PWC that way. What I do now is periodically top-up the charge then UN-plugging them for a few weeks & repeat thereafter. YMWV.
DarR,
Just to confirm your experience of toasting a battery in your watercraft, was it a smart charger (ex.like a Battery Tender JR.) that did this? I keep many things in my shop plugged in (watercraft, motorcycles, garden tractor, summer car) with the device mentioned above 100% of the time when not in use and have never had an issue wrecking a battery...

Thanks,
-John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Smart chargers like the battery tender jr should not fry a battery. Now... if you left it on a trickle charger that would be another story. New chargers like battery tender go into a float state when the battery reaches a pre determined voltage. At that point the charge is reduced to hold the battery at that voltage.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
DarR,
Just to confirm your experience of toasting a battery in your watercraft, was it a smart charger (ex.like a Battery Tender JR.) that did this? I keep many things in my shop plugged in (watercraft, motorcycles, garden tractor, summer car) with the device mentioned above 100% of the time when not in use and have never had an issue wrecking a battery...

Thanks,
-John
Hi John,
Yes, it was with a smart charger but in all fairness, I'm not 100% sure it was the tender's fault. It could have been the battery's time to go also. I'm just not taking any chances. No harm in unplugging and replugging them periodically.
Gives me an opportunity to go into the garage and sigh!

Attachments

Reactions: jleosnow

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did add 2 more tender on my bike. i will take the pics tomorrow one is for the usb charge and the other one is for the battery tender. because i don't need to open the seat to use the tender

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I have a bunch of bikes and prefer not to hassle with keeping them all on a tender. I prefer instead to ride them once a week during the winter, even if only a short ride which is typically possible here in Texas and keeps the batteries topped off and lubricates the engines internals. If there is extended bad weather, I will start each bike in the garage once a week and run it until the cooling fan kicks in, typically around 200 F coolant temp or higher and takes about 15 to 20 minutes. This recharges the batteries and keeps the engine happy. Been doing this for 11 years now with good results. I work in the aviation industry and the biggest cause of premature warranty claims is inactivity. We see a lot of internal engine corrosion, especially at the camshaft lobes and lifter interface if the engines are allowed to sit for long periods. These engines are designed to be used frequently. Lithium batteries are much more tolerant of inactivity as previously mentioned than flooded Lead Acid cells due to lower self-discharge rates. I am slowly converting all of my bikes over to lithium ion or LiFe batts. If you absolutely cannot run your bikes during the winter, than the battery tender is the best option.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went to connect a battery charging to my SAE adapter on the right side of the bike and to my surprise it didn't work. After spending time on the phone with tech support for NOCO chargers I had a plan ;-)

I checked the voltage and got 0v. So it looks like it was not connected. Is this common ? Am I missing something dumb ? (I hope so)

Thanks!

Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I've been using these Sears battery tenders for years. About half the price of the "Battery Tender" brand ($29) and they have a 3 yr full replacement warranty. They came out with a digital version a few yeas back which I have one of. But that one is closer to the $50 price tag. I bought a C Tek with the 959 which seems to work really well too! ($80)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went to connect a battery charging to my SAE adapter on the right side of the bike and to my surprise it didn't work. After spending time on the phone with tech support for NOCO chargers I had a plan ;-)

I checked the voltage and got 0v. So it looks like it was not connected. Is this common ? Am I missing something dumb ? (I hope so)

Thanks!

Chris
Blown fuse....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer told me the same and even pre-wired it with the battery tender ring terminal harness (which was nice of them). I think there are 2 reasons that Ducati is instructing their dealers to bring it to the owners attention.

First:
Based on my previous Ducati ownership experiences it would appear that starting a big twin is more taxing on a battery than starting a similar size I-4. My 1098 was slow to start as was to a lesser extent my Hypermotard. The 1098 needed to be ridden all the time or kept on a tender.

Second:
By them mentioning it to the owners it reduces the warranty claims for bad batteries. With as few miles as some of these bikes will see on an annual basis it is quite possible for a battery to just to go bad within the warranty period. I bought a brand new leftover 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP that had to have the battery replaced, it was "new" but wouldn't hold a charge.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My dealer told me the same and even pre-wired it with the battery tender ring terminal harness (which was nice of them). I think there are 2 reasons that Ducati is instructing their dealers to bring it to the owners attention.

First:
Based on my previous Ducati ownership experiences it would appear that starting a big twin is more taxing on a battery than starting a similar size I-4. My 1098 was slow to start as was to a lesser extent my Hypermotard. The 1098 needed to be ridden all the time or kept on a tender.

Second:
By them mentioning it to the owners it reduces the warranty claims for bad batteries. With as few miles as some of these bikes will see on an annual basis it is quite possible for a battery to just to go bad within the warranty period. I bought a brand new leftover 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP that had to have the battery replaced, it was "new" but wouldn't hold a charge.
Re: the first item, this is the purpose of the decompressor in the Superquadro engine...

Ducati 1299 Panigale Engine Pictures and Information - Ducati 1299 Forum

This specifically mentions the 1299 engine, however it is pertinent to the entire Panigale line.

Reactions: Boosted Josh

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was at the dealer, Ducati Miami, last week for the 600 (775) mile service, and they told me to have it always on the battery tender, even if I ride 2-3 times a week. That is something that Ducati strongly recommends. They also mentioned that short rides-commutes of 2-3 miles in the morning, and back in the evening will not charge the battery, on the contrary it will deplete it. I have been using the tender for when I might not be riding in a week or so, but last time I had to go out of town for 10 days on short notice without plugging it, and the battery went dead :(
So, for me its always plugged.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts