Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Tekarbon in the past with good results but they don't make many pieces for the 959. There is a company on ebay or amazon called Slingshot racing. Anyone used them?

Shift Tech is local to me but they don't make all the pieces I want either. I would rather get them from the same company. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used Tekarbon in the past with good results but they don't make many pieces for the 959. There is a company on ebay or amazon called Slingshot racing. Anyone used them?

Shift Tech is local to me but they don't make all the pieces I want either. I would rather get them from the same company. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't dealt with them personally, but European Cycle Service suggested them to me. They have used them on the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dingo,
Have you used the 100% carbon or the carbon/fiberglass bits? Has the fit on the intricate parts been spot on? How about the finish, does it match the DP carbon?

Thanks!
-John

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
From what I understand most cf parts, outside of F1 manufacturers that make their own, are made in Czechoslovakia - in one town where there's more than 20 manufacturers. It's an expensive and laborious endeavor to manufacture your own parts, which means it's tough to replicate an original part down to the clip-tabs - the part I'm referring to is the Rear Undertray for the 959. The original plastic part has tabs that mate with the light housing that keep the 2 parts together. You won't find a cf part that's that precise because it cost too much make it that precise. Which brings me to @jleosnow 's response - pick one cf part and purchase it from the 20 different manufacturers and more than half of them will be off a bit, most will fit different and a couple or three will be nearly identical. The fiber cloth used is probably the same, so the look of the weave will be the same, but the attention to detail will all be different.

I chose to purchase from Motocomposites because they offer a comparable product to Shift-Tech for less, and offer more products. 100% cf parts only for me - there's several other pieces on my bucket-list that I still need to get from them ;) btw...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info.

Yes, Ive had similar experiences with fitment. Some perfect, others not so much.

I prefer the gloss finish with twill weave. There's a lot of black on the bike and I think gloss will brighten it up a bit. I went with gloss on my Honda with good results.

I'm going to use this company.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bringing this old thread back to life. I want to replace a plethora of parts for my 959 to Carbon but wondering what's the best out there? Motocomposites looks pretty good but I want to have more options. Anyone have/suggest any for 2018?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I ordered a bunch of CF parts for the Monster from Shift-Tech.
Fitment was spot-on perfect.
They don't offer as many CF weave and color choices as motocomposites however.

Reactions: goat

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks @DarR these are great. I don't really care about the weave pattern. What I care about is quality finish and fitment. Now the tough question---matte or gloss on my AWS...Matte was my initial choice but I saw one with gloss and it had a pretty filthy pop to it. Damnit.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thanks @DarR these are great. I don't really care about the weave pattern. What I care about is quality finish and fitment. Now the tough question---matte or gloss on my AWS...Matte was my initial choice but I saw one with gloss and it had a pretty filthy pop to it. Damnit.
Boy, that's a personal question and can vary like who makes the best Pizza.
For the Monster, the front mud guard was OEM CF gloss. The tank is gloss black. Consequently, I followed-through with gloss all the way back.
However, I did buy a rear exhaust heat shield (yet to be installed) for the Panigale. I chose matte because everything else seems to be matte. Hope that helps.

Reactions: goat

·
Registered
80 Posts
Boy, that's a personal question and can vary like who makes the best Pizza.
For the Monster, the front mud guard was OEM CF gloss. The tank is gloss black. Consequently, I followed-through with gloss all the way back.
However, I did buy a rear exhaust heat shield (yet to be installed) for the Panigale. I chose matte because everything else seems to be matte. Hope that helps.
Oh, certainly-just hoping to spark folks to post their examples. It makes sense to go matte b/c the AWS finish is matte-ish. Thx again for the rec, already tallying up the damage.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hey @DarR - why not send me that heat shield to install on my bike - it’ll be another 3 months before you’re able to put it to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
IMHO
I would have to say BST
If you stack all the bread you would put towards CF bits and bobs you and spend it on a set of BST wheels you would have one of the best upgrades you could do for your bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently put Matte CF from Shift-Tech on my AWS. If you want I can take a few photos this weekend... let me know

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
IMHO
I would have to say BST
If you stack all the bread you would put towards CF bits and bobs you and spend it on a set of BST wheels you would have one of the best upgrades you could do for your bike.
I have to agree. In principal, I prefer function over form for such a bike although you would have to seriously hit the bike with the bling wand big time to equal the price of CF wheels.

I only bling'ed the Monster b/c it's my cruiser. As for the Panigale, I like it the way it is except I just couldn't stand that big ugly plastic rear heat shield. It was either CF or remove it altogether and polish the pipes which I may do as well. I preferred putting money into a RapideBike. Wouldn't mind Red Carrozzeria Forged Wheels for a combined farkle and function however.

The R6 below gives you a good sense of what these would look like on a AWS959.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts