Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some safety net in place, but if I want to pop the front end up, I don't want the ECU to immediately shut down the party. Looking for that nice balance between "have some fun", but "let's not get stupid"... LOL

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have DTC set to 2 and haven't found the sweet spot for doing wheelies reliably without the electronics ruining the party! Good skill to you!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I currently have EBC1, DTC2 and ABS1 in Race mode. Part of me likes having the safety net, but at the same time I have spent years on much more powerful bikes that had no ABS or traction control and never had a problem. The 1198 comes to mind.

Part of me thinks that I should set up Race mode with zero traction control and minimal ABS, set up Sport mode to look like the default Race mode, and then leave Wet mode where it is for when it rains or the road is really sketchy.|

What's a stock 959 make at the wheel? 135hp? And it doesn't have that crazy midrange of the M1200S or 1198... It's more like a GSX-R750 that's been hitting the gym...

Thoughts?

Any disadvantage of turning off DTC, other than the annoying yellow light on the dash? haha

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't forget that the 959 is one of the fastest bikes in a straight line without any modification... how? the electronics that keep its momentum moving forward if set ideally. I raced a McLaren P1 (without knowing it) one day at Crystal Cove and could not gain on it. He got off the line first, of course, because he wanted to race without telling me - and I was just at his rear bumper without gaining an inch from light to light. At the light I said - great car, he said - great bike, love the color, I said - I couldn't gain an inch, he said - I didn't have launch control on. Boy did I have a smile on my face after that! The P1 is claimed to do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, same as the 959.
The point of the story? With the same settings the bike would bog the engine when I tried to wheelie. I think it knows when I'm trying to be a hooligan and when I have a score to settle! The sweet spot, again, I have not found yet with the same settings - but it's there... I know it is...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget that the 959 is one of the fastest bikes in a straight line without any modification... how? the electronics that keep its momentum moving forward if set ideally. I raced a McLaren P1 (without knowing it) one day at Crystal Cove and could not gain on it. He got off the line first, of course, because he wanted to race without telling me - and I was just at his rear bumper without gaining an inch from light to light. At the light I said - great car, he said - great bike, love the color, I said - I couldn't gain an inch, he said - I didn't have launch control on. Boy did I have a smile on my face after that! The P1 is claimed to do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, same as the 959.
The point of the story? With the same settings the bike would bog the engine when I tried to wheelie. I think it knows when I'm trying to be a hooligan and when I have a score to settle! The sweet spot, again, I have not found yet with the same settings - but it's there... I know it is...
While quick, it is hardly one of the fastest bikes. Lots of bikes with a LOT more power, and the same electronics packages, etc... 1199, 1299, V4, Tuono 1100, RSV 4, S1000rr, R1, ZX10R, Busa, ZX14, the list goes on...

I basically set up Race to have everything turned off except ABS level 1. Sport, now has the default Race settings, so ABS and some DTC level 3, and then Wet is default.

Going up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket today, which I guess means I need to go pick up a longer chain...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts