Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you sell your motorcycle?

I never "sold" a motorcycle before, always traded it in, and suffered the ridiculous reaming from the dealer.

Looking to sell my 2017, 959 and some aftermarket components for a very fair price, and am not sure where to post for the best outcome.

Much obliged to hear if you have a methodology that works and some advice about what to avoid.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have always just used a combination of cycle trader // craigslist then I would just post all the parts on the forums, like multiple, not just here

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have sold a lot of cars and motorcycles, but here in Brazil, I’m sure the market is diferente, but if I can help with anything just let me know.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've sold motorcycles through Craigslist. There's a negative connotation with Craigslist, but the people I've dealt with aren't that sketchy since they have the same fears as you when arranging to meet with a stranger. Just post a detailed ad and you'll likely attract decent people who want to buy. Make sure to avoid anything related to money orders, deliveries, or non-face-to-face transactions.

When selling parts, I've had the most luck selling through eBay. It's tedious to get set up and post on that site, but it's useful for selling all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would agree with the craigslist part. I have both bought and sold motorcycles on craigslist and as long as you give a detailed description with good pictures you will get some serious buyers. If you are firm on whatever price you choose then state that. If you don't get any action on the price then the marketplace is telling you that you are asking too much. I would recommend you only allow cash or check in hand test drives however to prevent joy rides. Unless of course they pull up on a comparable older bike and you get the vibe that they are pretty serious.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would agree with the craigslist part. I have both bought and sold motorcycles on craigslist and as long as you give a detailed description with good pictures you will get some serious buyers. If you are firm on whatever price you choose then state that. If you don't get any action on the price then the marketplace is telling you that you are asking too much. I would recommend you only allow cash or check in hand test drives however to prevent joy rides. Unless of course they pull up on a comparable older bike and you get the vibe that they are pretty serious.
Appreciate the recommendation about cash in hand only test rides. That makes a lot of sense. I was not sure how I was going to filter out the tire kickers from serious prospects.

Being that it is freezing around here these days, that should also filter out the curious only.

Receive a few inquiries from cycletrader ad already. Nothing serious it seems, so far.

I have owned and eventually sold several aerobatic aircraft. Pitts S2A, Extra 200 and Extra 300. Videos below for reference.

It was generally a nightmare selling those machines. Lots of haggling, lots of time spent to finally get them sold. I always end up wanting to feel good about the sale and make sure the buyer is thrilled, rather than make top dollar. Don't tell anyone. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@Pard
Wow. Those are nice. Not getting my PL is one of those regrets we all have although I have started soaring last year.
Looking forward to completing my training in 2019.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Pard
Wow. Those are nice. Not getting my PL is one of those regrets we all have although I have started soaring last year.
Looking forward to completing my training in 2019.
Glider rating is on my bucket list.

Try aerobatics. Nothing like it.

Glider acro is really intense. Also on the bucket list.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Every extreme first time experience has a "always will remember" moment.
Scuba was my first breath. Soaring was all about rudder (relative to powered flight) and not as much stick.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have found Facebook market place to be a great resource. I have not sold a motorcycle but I have looked at them on there. But I have sold a ton of **** on there sometimes within an hour. Plus you have a person with a profile you are dealing with, not some rando that may rob you at gunpoint.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

When selling parts, I've had the most luck selling through eBay. It's tedious to get set up and post on that site, but it's useful for selling all sorts of stuff.
Yep, Ebay sometimes has great deals.

My OEM red rear wheel is a bit scratched up so I wanted to have it painted then I found this. For the price, much better deal than repainting. Complete rear wheel with brake disk, sprocket and carrier and tire for a great price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-DUCAT...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If I end up trading in my Panigale at the dealer, I will put the red wheels back on and sell the carbon BST wheels separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
yup. I bought my previous motorcycle after the original owner had a lowside. Fairings, clutch case cover, pedal, handle bar end, etc were scratched up. I bought and sold used parts on eBay, and eventually replaced all the damaged parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts