Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday, I parked my bike after a short ride and went upstairs to prep for a longer afternoon ride. Half an hour later, as I try to pull out of the garage, the bike just turns off when I shift to first. It starts fine in neutral (sidestand up or down), but turns off when I shift to first. The behavior seems similar to how the engine cuts off if I shift to first while the bike is still on the kickstand. Anyone run into this issue and know how to fix it? My dealer actually had their pickup van in the vicinity and picked it up an hour after, though I'll probably not hear from them until midweek.

Felt pretty helpless on how to fix this by myself for what I assume isn't a big fix (though being Ducati I wouldn't be surprised if its major).

TL;DR: Bike shuts down on first even with kickstand up (not on kickstand). :mad:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I could think of two things that could be at fault:
  • Clutch not completely disengaging
  • Kickstand sensor faulty

Since it sounds like you had just rode, clutch engagement probably isn't it, but still a possibility. When you have the engine running, clutch in, kickstand up, and no brakes applied, does your bike move/kick at all when you shift into first/second? If your clutch engagement is further than you can depress the lever, your engine will be engaged immediately as you shift, thus causing a stall.

The kickstand sensor being faulty sounds more probably since irregardless of physical kickstand position, your bike shuts off as soon as you shift out of neutral. You could just do the basic visual check and see if the little black box is damaged. Potentially the harness connector came loose, so you could check that.

As a stretch, I believe our 959's side stand is a hall effect sensor and we have a magnet on the stand itself - the magnet may have fallen off. You could try wrapping a magnet directly on the black sensor and try starting your 959 and shifting into gear for a quick test.

Reactions: absessive

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could think of two things that could be at fault:
  • Clutch not completely disengaging
  • Kickstand sensor faulty

Since it sounds like you had just rode, clutch engagement probably isn't it, but still a possibility. When you have the engine running, clutch in, kickstand up, and no brakes applied, does your bike move/kick at all when you shift into first/second? If your clutch engagement is further than you can depress the lever, your engine will be engaged immediately as you shift, thus causing a stall.

The kickstand sensor being faulty sounds more probably since irregardless of physical kickstand position, your bike shuts off as soon as you shift out of neutral. You could just do the basic visual check and see if the little black box is damaged. Potentially the harness connector came loose, so you could check that.

As a stretch, I believe our 959's side stand is a hall effect sensor and we have a magnet on the stand itself - the magnet may have fallen off. You could try wrapping a magnet directly on the black sensor and try starting your 959 and shifting into gear for a quick test.
I held the clutch all in with the kickstand up, and no brakes, no move/kick at all, so its definitely not stalling.

The bike's at the shop now and will know more when they open today, I guess. The kickstand sensor/magnet is what I'm still thinking the cause for this is. Hopefully nothing serious (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hopefully they don't gouge you. And if they do, it'd better be for a new sensor and not some garbage installation of magnet. Service manual just shows "Side stand magnet fastener - Glueing with silicone and caulking" as a line item under the "Frame tightening torque values - Stand" section, so its literally just adhesive onto a 1/4" diameter-ish magnet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: The magnet on the sensor is missing and they're trying to source a new sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Oh man, they have to source a new Ducati magnet AND a new Ducati side stand sensor!? #prayforabessiveswallet

There's probably nothing wrong with the sensor, but they are justifying the installation and parts cost of just the magnet with the sensor. Sucks if you had gotten a chance to test your sensor before taking it in, that could have saved you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the bike back 2 weeks later after warranty repairs and parts from Ducati. Can't complain about the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dingo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts