Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sent my sample off today from my break-in oil.

I'll report the findings in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the oil analysis.

I've got Motul 300v in now so I'm going to send a sample in at 2800 miles.

I planned to do my next oil change at 4800 but if the numbers look good and detergents are high, I may wait until 5800 miles.

For guys who keep bikes for 4+ years and actually put on +5k miles a year, this is a great way to track your engine's condition...

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is really interesting, would be great for you to keep posting the condition further. I've heard great things about Motul, expensive but worth it. Really intrigued to see what the next analysis looks like

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is really interesting, would be great for you to keep posting the condition further. I've heard great things about Motul, expensive but worth it. Really intrigued to see what the next analysis looks like

The first analysis was the stock oil, Shell Advance 4T 15w50 so the numbers from the next oil sample will inherently be different but hopefully not significantly.

I hate how you can only edit threads in a 15 minute window. Makes having long term updates a pain in the *** because readers have to search through to find the pertinent data...

·
Registered
110 Posts
The first analysis was the stock oil, Shell Advance 4T 15w50 so the numbers from the next oil sample will inherently be different but hopefully not significantly.

I hate how you can only edit threads in a 15 minute window. Makes having long term updates a pain in the *** because readers have to search through to find the pertinent data...
It is really inconvenient. Hopefully they'll read this and make some changes to that..

but what sort of differences are you expecting to see ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
These are great stats! Granted, you wouldn't expect really bad readings at this mileage, but it shows that the motor is tight and that you rode through the break-in period like an adult. :) I'm going to send these guys a sample and see what the deal is with my bike.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is really inconvenient. Hopefully they'll read this and make some changes to that..

but what sort of differences are you expecting to see ?
Agreed.

Different oil formulas will have different chemical composition. Molybdenum and maybe a few others of the elements listed will vary.

These are great stats! Granted, you wouldn't expect really bad readings at this mileage, but it shows that the motor is tight and that you rode through the break-in period like an adult. :) I'm going to send these guys a sample and see what the deal is with my bike.
Until they hava a larger data pool for our bikes, you'll only have your own previous tests to reference for the most part. Or you can compare to the listed 899 averages.

I keep bikes for high miles and I'm new to motul motor oil so I'm doing it probably to 10k miles just to see how things progress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that yours may have been the first, by their comments. Comparison to Universal 899 averages is fine by me for the first few tests. I had good experiences with Motul in my 1198, but this is a very different bike. I stayed with the stock oil this time so I'll be interested in your results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts