Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm tired of watching comically bad oil change videos.

Can somebody tell me, once and for all, the size bolts I need to pull the oil filter cover off of a 2017 959?

Thanks much,
-zorch

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Can somebody tell me, once and for all, the size bolts I need to pull the oil filter cover off of a 2017 959?

Thanks much,
-zorch
Have you looked at the Service Manual?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks much,
-zorch
I'm confused.WhenI did my own oil change, I just matched whatever size tool to the bolt and removed it. Do you not have a complete set of tools?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The oil filter cover screws are M6x1 length 20mm. FYI you tq them down to 14nm
The oil drain plug is M14X1.5 it should be tq to 14nm.
FYI you should use the Ducati 3 bond and fresh crunch ring. Always change our the 2 o rings on the oil filter cover.
I hope this helps. These are the actual specs from Ducati.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need any length M8x1.25 bolt to easily remove the cover - i had plenty laying around as there are always extras provided in the Ram mount 1” Ball kits for using on the handlebar clamps - these thread into the holes on the cover - many people don’t know the holes are threaded and bugger up the thread trying to pull it off with a vice grip etc .

·
Registered
19 Posts
The oil filter cover screws are M6x1 length 20mm. FYI you tq them down to 14nm
The oil drain plug is M14X1.5 it should be tq to 14nm.
FYI you should use the Ducati 3 bond and fresh crunch ring. Always change our the 2 o rings on the oil filter cover.
I hope this helps. These are the actual specs from Ducati.
He was asking for the size of the bolts used to extract or pull the cover out - Once you remove the M6 bolts that hold the cover down you thread M8 x 1.25 bolts into Each hole on the cover itself as the holes are actually threaded themselves. This will push the cover out as they won’t fit into the M6 holes on the engine or the bolts themselves can be used like little handles to pull the cover off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ahh, I figured once you posted before.
I found it easier my self to get behind the bolts LV and pull it off as I was out Of the M8. Thanks NolaBill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M8, got it. Thanks everybody, I just wanted to avoid 3 trips to the hardware store.

A service manual I do not possess. And the owners manual for this bike has so many misprints it doesn't even tell you the correct button to activate menu mode (3 instead of 2). Honestly, whoever was in charge of documentation for this bike had to be drunk at the time he was doing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts