Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change my brake and clutch fluid for the first time. On past bikes once a year was adequate but my fluids look like garbage, especially the rear brake. Has anyone changed to a specific oil that works better or replaced any parts in the system so that a fluid change won't be necessary as frequently? Honestly, I've let it go for too long, I haven't ridden that much and if I were to ride as frequently as I'd like I'd be changing the fluid every few months to keep it looking decent. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
None that I'm aware of.

Reactions: wxwax

·
Registered
118 Posts
Castrol SPF race

Lasts longer but still will discolor. The heat is what does it.

Put a sock around it.... whats unseen cannot cause problems

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think there's a large stigma about coloration of the fluid and the necessity to change it if it's not like new color. Let's be clear that it's meant to last a long time before needing it to be changed. Ultimately its the viscosity that needs to change drastically to cause something to fail. Not likely even if the fluid is over a year old, depending on the temperature conditions of course.
Like @D-StyleNZL said - cover it with a sock so you don't see how fast it discolors and change it twice a year if you want. Just my opinion.

Contamination is something of a more serious topic - and implies a system that has failed at some point and is leaking or allowing external fluids/particulate to enter the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rear has some cloudiness in the reservoir, much like some of the others I've seen post on here and around the web. My brake performance hasn't noticeably degraded but I haven't been riding very hard lately

·
Registered
118 Posts
Color means next to nothing, brake fluid will turn black very quick and that doesn't mean it needs to be changed.

Disagree.

Black color is due to high heat discolor. Not really to much to be concern about after all, the rear isnt use too much. But I would still look at changign every service.

Cloudy/Milky/different consistency is cause of concern, normally points that water or other contamination has occurred which can have bad effects on braking system

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed out all of my fluid. I feel much better now. Pedal and lever feel much better but I haven't had the chance to ride since my bike is in pieces. I made the mistake of not ordering new header gaskets with my new exhaust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey guys,
I want to change the clutch and brake fluid on my bike soon (I'd like to get on at least once a year schedule for changing these fluids since it's fairly inexpensive and easy to do). Any recommendations? Does Ducati recommend DOT 4 standard for the 959s?
I was thinking about getting Castrol SRF.

Any idea what the duc dealers use?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Couple things to clarify,
Yes brake fluid discolors this is due to a couple factors heat, time, and moisture. This fluid operates on 2 different temps a wet and dry. You will notice on the wet the temp has a lower boil temp. These are on the back of the container. The more moister, time, heat exposed will cause fluid to darken and move to the wet fluid. You always want to use product from a sealed container.
Time, brake fluid should be replaced every 90days or sooner depending on your environment.
Personally I use Motul 600. Do not use the 5.1 in your Ducati. Dot4 is what you need.
Ducati’s are super bikes they use high performance parts and are meant to race. If you race you should be dropping your oil at end of each track/race day or at very most end of each weekend you race. Brake fluid must be maintained and checked. For $21 usd it is least expensive thing to maintain. You should check brakes before each ride and bleed when needed. I bleed my 959 brakes every couple weeks takes a few minutes by my self.
Brake fluid is very Corrosive it will eat paint, degrade metal. Use towels and protect all areas around the area you are working in. If you have any question I’m happy to help any time. Ride safe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys,
I want to change the clutch and brake fluid on my bike soon (I'd like to get on at least once a year schedule for changing these fluids since it's fairly inexpensive and easy to do). Any recommendations? Does Ducati recommend DOT 4 standard for the 959s?
I was thinking about getting Castrol SRF.

Any idea what the duc dealers use?
Dealers very but it is a Dot 4.
Shell, Motul, Castrol, etc use what you like. It’s another brand thing. They use Motul in The pro races. But try the Castrol see what you think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts