Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I get to pickup my new 959 at the local Ducati dealer :)
With 0 mileage on the odometer I am wondering how I can best break in the bike?

- For the motor I guess no revs above 4 or 5k rpm for the first 1000 km, and I presume it is best to have a lot of variable rpm's as possible (so avoid having to drive long roads with fixed rpm)?

- For the shifting: is it wise to start using the DQS system, or just start of with the manual shifting.

- For the tires: I guess they don't have the best grip in the first 100 - 200 km's?

Any tips for me regarding breaking in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
For tires: Do be careful for the first 100km.
Do read the users manual and not just for the run-in period info.
If you don't have your manual right now, there's a PDF copy available on Ducati's webpage here:

Service and maintenance motorcycle | Ducati

Reactions: Pascal and aayp

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For tires: Do be careful for the first 100km.
Do read the users manual and not just for the run-in period info.
If you don't have your manual right now, there's a PDF copy available on Ducati's webpage here:
Many thanks for the link and the advise, appriciate it!

Reactions: DarR

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Once you scrub-in your tires you should be good to go! You're basically just trying to scrub off the mold release from the tire surface. It doesn't take much. I would ride for a bit to get some heat into the tires before attempting to hit any significant lean angles or hard braking. If you just take it slow and smooth and gradually pick up the pace / lean angle you be ok. Try to be smooth and not throw the bike over until the tires are scrubbed and have sufficient heat in them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you scrub-in your tires you should be good to go! You're basically just trying to scrub off the mold release from the tire surface. It doesn't take much. I would ride for a bit to get some heat into the tires before attempting to hit any significant lean angles or hard braking. If you just take it slow and smooth and gradually pick up the pace / lean angle you be ok. Try to be smooth and not throw the bike over until the tires are scrubbed and have sufficient heat in them.
Thanks, will do, appriciate it!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@Pascal - don't go thinking you can run Assen without getting 100Km on the tires ;) I miss it over there, but don't miss the winter on the water!

For the motor break-in: I wouldn't rev higher than 10K, but like you mentioned don't keep the bike in one gear for too long, short bursts up to 10K and back down to 5K letting the engine break the revs down - relatively easy to do on any stretch of road outside the city centers.
The DQS needs some time to warm up on a brand new bike - knowing what I know now, if I had a brand new one I would use the DQS from 4.5K revs on up right from the start. Then a couple days in use it from 3K up - but you have to pulling the throttle, not coasting along and decide to up shift.

Welcome to the family.

What area are you in?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@Pascal - don't go thinking you can run Assen without getting 100Km on the tires ;) I miss it over there, but don't miss the winter on the water!
Never driven any track so far. Just seen Assen as a spectator :)

[MENTION=6225]For the motor break-in: I wouldn't rev higher than 10K, but like you mentioned don't keep the bike in one gear for too long, short bursts up to 10K and back down to 5K letting the engine break the revs down - relatively easy to do on any stretch of road outside the city centers.
Great tips, thanks so much!

[MENTION=6225]The DQS needs some time to warm up on a brand new bike - knowing what I know now, if I had a brand new one I would use the DQS from 4.5K revs on up right from the start. Then a couple days in use it from 3K up - but you have to pulling the throttle, not coasting along and decide to up shift.
Perfect, will do just that.

[MENTION=6225]Welcome to the family.

What area are you in?
Thanks Dingo! I'm living near Amsterdam. Great to see this many Panigale friends from all over the world. Love this forum already :)

·
Registered
118 Posts

For the motor break-in: I wouldn't rev higher than 10K, but like you mentioned don't keep the bike in one gear for too long, short bursts up to 10K and back down to 5K letting the engine break the revs down - relatively easy to do on any stretch of road outside the city centers.
The DQS needs some time to warm up on a brand new bike - knowing what I know now, if I had a brand new one I would use the DQS from 4.5K revs on up right from the start. Then a couple days in use it from 3K up - but you have to pulling the throttle, not coasting along and decide to up shift.

Welcome to the family.

What area are you in?

Redline is 10500rpm ;-)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Broke mine in on the way home from the dealer back in the twisties, scrub the tires a bit with increasing lean angle and then go for it. These OEM Pirellis stick like cat claws on velcro and it's almost impossible to find the edge of the front tire on the road, really need a track to explore what the bike can do. I loosely followed the rpm restrictions in the manual, don't lug the motor and stay off the rev limiter for about 1500 miles and you'll be fine. This engine has plenty of kick down low, no need to rev the nuts off it until you get to the racetrack.

Down side on the Pirellis is wear rate if you get aggressive, I have just over 1200 miles on a new rear and it's down to the wear bars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Modern tires don't use mold release, they can be run immediately. I broke mine in by riding it with varied RPM's. I rode the piss out of it.

Modern bikes and tires aren't po0sies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything in moderation for me. Took it real slow the first hundred miles. Then opened her up gradually until break in was done. Never went past 7k though. Everyone has their own opinions for breaking in it's all subjective. Just don't redline the thing for the first 600 miles you'll be fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice all!

Can't wait to pick it up today :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought mine this past Friday and have been breaking her in as well. Up to 160 miles, love it so far!
Nice!
I got stuck on just 40 km's in total. Nothing but rain in the Netherlands :(
Already ordered knee grips to avoid moving up and down the seat. Also ordered the radiator and oil cooler guards to avoid damage.

Any mods planned for your bike?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts