Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started off rocky due to a map being sent to me that was very rich, I believe for the Termi/UpMap being used as the base map. Probably fine for a slipon, but my bike was bone stock with the exception of a Sprint Air filter that I also got from BrenTune.

The tablet is simple to use. Plug it in to the stock bike, it pulls the OEM programming and saves a copy. You then plug your BrenTune tablet into your PC and download that file to the PC, and email it to them. They send you a list of questions about what mods you run, how you like to ride, what fuel you plan to use and they send you a new map, which you copy to the tablet and then flash the ECU with that.

Benefits are that you can restore the stock map to the bike for warranty work, with Ducati none the wiser. You can also pull diagnostic codes, and clear maintenance minders, rest the TPS, reset Adaptives, etc...

So if you do your own service and oil changes and don't want to have to pay a dealer an hour to turn off a light, you can do it yourself.

Once we got the right map in there, the bike picked up power, about 4hp. Doesn't sound like much, but 4HP for a stock bike is still 4hp. Also, the cooling fans come on at 200 and shut off when the bike gets down to 180, which will make a huge difference when you are sitting in traffic, roasting your boys... There are other tweaks and things pertaining to how the throttle bodies open up, throttle response, etc...

Now, 4hp doesn't sound like much and so I wasn't expecting to feel much of a difference... I was wrong.

It's not like stepping up to an 1199, but you feel a real, tangible difference. The old map makes peak power and while just 4hp less, the motor checks out early and starts losing power before the rev limiter kicks in. The new map, not only gives you a few hundred RPM more rev, but the power STAYS there till it kicks in. It is as that point that you have 7hp more than stock... That extra kick at the top, YOU FEEL.

Now, I would normally take that with a grain of salt and say, "Yeah, but that only really matters on track where you are up in that range anyway"...

Except that my bike, never power wheelied in first until you get up in that 9k or so range, where the throttle bodies opened up and you got into the real power band.

My bike today several times brought the front end up on it's own, around 6k on the tach. It's never done that before, and it did it twice when I was only like 75% throttle. That's something I couldn't deny, that isn't showing on the dyno printout... It's also starting to pick the front end up on it's own in 2nd, which it never did before with my 230lbs plus gear *** on it.

So I am aware of plecebo, this not being my first rodeo... it's like my 24th motorcycle, so I know the drill... haha

But the fact that it now pulls the front end up more often, in places that it never has, tells me there are some good things going on here now...

Before it felt good, but it felt more like a slightly less refined GSX-R750...

Now, it feels more raw, everything feels more... urgent. And there is absolutely more power on tap, delivered quicker. It feels less throttle by wire and more like my older Ducs felt where there was much more of a connection between your right wrist and what happens in the engine department.

I have included the charts, but they don't tell the whole story... not that 7hp more in that top corner isn't a solid gain... but despite the charts saying the midrange power is the same, the front end coming up at only 6k RPM in first tells me that there is more going on than the charts are showing.

At this point, we are really happy with the tune and the performance and I would recommend it. Sure, having a good tuner custom dyno it everywhere in the rev range would be more refined than a "canned" tune... but once we dialed in this map, my tuner looked at the results and was like, "Dude, at this point I would just leave it. I would feel bad charging you if you came to me and asked me to tune this and refine it, because I don't see us really making any big improvements at this point. Just go ride the F out of it..."... haha

So now it is riding like I feel it should have run out of the box, had the government nannies and lawyers not gotten their hands on it first... It picked up usable power, it's far more aggressive and responsive, and I can now do more of my own services on the bike without voiding my warranty...

Props to Chris at BrenTune for working with me to get this dialed in. Very happy now!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad that that you got some better results!!

How much did all this run you including dynos?
Well, it wasn't cheap. By the time all was said and done, like a grand, which I know is a lot.

However, the issue was largely that I have a stock bike. If you did the Exhaust and stuff, then I think their richer map would have been ideal. For me, it was too rich.

So assuming that you have a setup more inline with their maps, it would be the $650 for the box and tune. Or, if you are stock like me, I would imagine that they will supply you with the map that worked for mine...

So in my case it cost more but now that it's done I am fine with that. I have my own box now that I can swap maps around and clear codes and stuff...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you find that the bike is more controlled with the throttle at low speeds or more smoother. Did you manage to take the bike for a ride to see if it doesn't burn your legs in built up areas. I have a Rexxer Box and was thinking of getting a tune for my bike when I get it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you find that the bike is more controlled with the throttle at low speeds or more smoother. Did you manage to take the bike for a ride to see if it doesn't burn your legs in built up areas. I have a Rexxer Box and was thinking of getting a tune for my bike when I get it.
I never had an issue with low speed manners. Part of that may be that I have a +3 rear sprocket and +2 link chain(to keep stock wheelbase), so the bike doesn't "lug" as much when at low RPM. I do that with most bikes. This bike is geared to do 178mph but doesn't have the HP to go that fast, so gearing it down made sense, gives you better acceleration and doesn't remove any top speed because you aren't going over 170mph with this bike anyway...

I never had an issue with smoothness with the stock fueling. Honestly, I like the bike a little less smooth. I like a more aggressive and raw feeling bike, to me it is more engaging and part of what makes a Ducati, a Ducati... you know?

What I can say is that the bike is quicker and making more power, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...It's not like stepping up to an 1199, but you feel a real, tangible difference. The old map makes peak power and while just 4hp less, the motor checks out early and starts losing power before the rev limiter kicks in. The new map, not only gives you a few hundred RPM more rev, but the power STAYS there till it kicks in. It is as that point that you have 7hp more than stock... That extra kick at the top, YOU FEEL...
Except that my bike, never power wheelied in first until you get up in that 9k or so range, where the throttle bodies opened up and you got into the real power band.

My bike today several times brought the front end up on it's own, around 6k on the tach. It's never done that before, and it did it twice when I was only like 75% throttle. That's something I couldn't deny, that isn't showing on the dyno printout... It's also starting to pick the front end up on it's own in 2nd, which it never did before with my 230lbs plus gear *** on it...
This ^^^ is exactly what I experienced... after having done my 7500mile Service at Ducati... where they updated my ECU with the latest update (when I tried getting more info from the master mechanic who did the job, his best response was that its for "emissions reasons") - ultimately they breathed new life in the machine that I Know has more to give! The only upgrade is a K&N air filter that he cleaned during the service.

I'm glad you found a happy place with your experience @SquireSCA

...What I can say is that the bike is quicker and making more power, no doubt.
Yep, my experience too!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This ^^^ is exactly what I experienced... after having done my 7500mile Service at Ducati... where they updated my ECU with the latest update (when I tried getting more info from the master mechanic who did the job, his best response was that its for "emissions reasons") - ultimately they breathed new life in the machine that I Know has more to give! The only upgrade is a K&N air filter that he cleaned during the service.

I'm glad you found a happy place with your experience @SquireSCA

Yep, my experience too!
What made the difference on your bike? The Dealer flashing the ECU with updates, or you flashing it with BrenTune? Wasn't sure how to interpret your post...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@SquireSCA - I haven't purchased anything for the bike other than the K&N air filter - the change was from the ECU update that Ducati did during my service. There was only 1 update for the ECU that was for "emissions standards" - after chatting with the tech he wasn't able to see what specifically it did, but it did make a difference in performance. I can only assume it leaned the rich "Stock" map.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is your bike and when was that service done? Mine is a 2018...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put 150 or so miles on it today. Bike is a lot more fun now. The DTC is working much harder now. I usually have it in race mode, EBC1, DTC2, ABS2... I had to bump DTC down the 3 to keep the front down in 1st and second.

Now, I do have a +3 rear sprocket,because I wanted more drive. Now that I have more power,I am wondering if I should go back to stock...

I love the drive it gives me, but if I have to either back off the throttle in the first couple gears, or have the electronics intervene and cut power... am I any faster?

Hard to tell... the bike is absolutely faster with this tune. The amount that the front comes up in first, and now second, is night and day different. Before in dtc2 I could hammer it in 1st and not much drama... now, it’s drama, yellow lights are flashing, the front comes up, electronics set it back down, then it comes up again, etc...

Thoughts on gearing, now that the power is up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts