Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the forum. I am picking up a 2016 - 959 with sub 4000 miles. What are some specific things to look out for? I have had other bikes but wasn’t sure if there are some Ducati quirks i should watch out for.

1. oil/fluid leaks
2. brake fluid coloration. Brake feel
3. cold start motor?
4. overall cleanliness of bike
5. tires/ sprockets/chain
6. signs of a crash on body etc.
7. Error lights

Are there any weird things I should look for? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey guys. New to the forum. I am picking up a 2016 - 959 with sub 4000 miles. What are some specific things to look out for? I have had other bikes but wasn’t sure if there are some Ducati quirks i should watch out for.

1. oil/fluid leaks
2. brake fluid coloration. Brake feel
3. cold start motor?
4. overall cleanliness of bike
5. tires/ sprockets/chain
6. signs of a crash on body etc.
7. Error lights

Are there any weird things I should look for? Thanks in advance
I got a 2017 myself and I did the same inspection you listed above. Cold start does help check to see how the bike starts and condition of the battery. If you can get a report showing that it never in a crash like a Carfax, but for a bike, that would help you. Inspect the fairings to see if there are no chips or scratches on the part where they get aligned. As far as the fluids, the ones you can't see like coolant flush and engine oil, if you don't have a service guarantee on it, I would change it. The clutch and brake fluids you will be able to see if they are clean or need to be flushed. See the condition of the rotors and pads too. The previous owner of mine changed the tires for me, so yes do make sure the life on them. The tires will have a date on them, so look for that and thread life. If they let you test ride it, even better. Hope my 2 cents helps you in some way. Just take your time to inspect it. All the best. Hope you get the one you looking for and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have a look at the water pump weep hole to see if a significant amount of dried coolant is there. It is normal to have some but look to see if it has a lot. Look for leaking valve cover gaskets. Get the secret code he installed incase you lose the key. Get both keys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a look at the water pump weep hole to see if a significant amount of dried coolant is there. It is normal to have some but look to see if it has a lot. Look for leaking valve cover gaskets. Get the secret code he installed incase you lose the key. Get both keys.
Where is the water pump weep hole? He is the second owner, so not sure he has the code but i will ask. Is this something the dealership can reset?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Where is the water pump weep hole? He is the second owner, so not sure he has the code but i will ask. Is this something the dealership can reset?
Not sure about the weep hole, but if you have two sets of keys, I am sure the dealership can reset for you. If you have two sets, I would not worry too much in the beginning. Just do the necessary things if needed first, but no harm in asking the dealership how much it would cost so you have an idea

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the weep hole, but if you have two sets of keys, I am sure the dealership can reset for you. If you have two sets, I would not worry too much in the beginning. Just do the necessary things if needed first, but no harm in asking the dealership how much it would cost so you have an idea
gotcha. I don’t think he has both keys. We will see tomorrow. I’m going to check it out in the morning. Hope everything looks good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question for yall before I see the bike. Getting ready to head out to go get it. I am going to cold start the motor. Does these bikes smoke at all? Is a little smoke typical or is this a big warning sign? Are the engines clanky sounding? Every Ducati I have heard at a track day seem a lot more clanky sounding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Question for yall before I see the bike. Getting ready to head out to go get it. I am going to cold start the motor. Does these bikes smoke at all? Is a little smoke typical or is this a big warning sign? Are the engines clanky sounding? Every Ducati I have heard at a track day seem a lot more clanky sounding.
It does sound a bit clanky but no smoke. I did a cold start and do almost everytime and no smoke for me. Maybe a sign of dirty oil or bike has driven hard. I hope someone here can answer this for you if I am wrong. I too am new to this bike. Try to Google and see if people have seen smoke on 959 or any Ducati

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. I picked the bike up this morning. Had an 8 hour round trip.... argh... Bike looks good. Has some aftermarket fairings on it. No idea what brand, but they are a tri-color. I also got the stock red fairings with the purchase (no damage).

Bike has following:
1. Shorty levers
2. Tank grips
3. Woodcraft servobuddy (Though the exhaust is stock...) The bike is really loud for a stock exhaust. Not sure how much louder it is from the servobuddy but it is quite a bit louder than my stock Duke 890R was.

My plans as of right now.
1. I want to redo the tank grips. When I am on the bike, my knees fall right in the little pocket. I want to put some grips here so my pants/track suit does not slip. I had Tech Spec snake skin on my Duke that I really liked.
2. Not sure what tires I will run. The bike has diablo super corsa's. They need to be replaced due to age.
3. Oil change
4. Coolant Flush (I know people like to run engine ice, but I think that leaves track slick if you go down? I don't remember now.)
5. Brake fluid flush
6. Clutch lever flush
7. Tail Tidy

I have not been able to ride the bike really, but my initial impression are as follows:
1. The bike is very narrow. Much more narrow than my CBR track bike (which one would assume it would be because its a twin) but still. I like the narrowness.
2. The clutch engages pretty quick. The span of engagement is rather sudden. Does not really bother me I will not be doing too much stop/go on this bike.
3. Riding position very aggressive. Though I have read it is quite comfortable, I am just coming off the Duke which is very upright. Granted my CBR 600 was agreesive I sold that bike 3 years ago. So it has been a little bit since I rode a true sport bike. Should be nice on the track.
4. Bike looks gorgeous!
5. Bike sounds awesome!
6. I need to youtube how to work the dash screen. D'oh!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I picked the bike up this morning. Had an 8 hour round trip.... argh... Bike looks good. Has some aftermarket fairings on it. No idea what brand, but they are a tri-color. I also got the stock red fairings with the purchase (no damage).

Bike has following:
1. Shorty levers
2. Tank grips
3. Woodcraft servobuddy (Though the exhaust is stock...) The bike is really loud for a stock exhaust. Not sure how much louder it is from the servobuddy but it is quite a bit louder than my stock Duke 890R was.

My plans as of right now.
1. I want to redo the tank grips. When I am on the bike, my knees fall right in the little pocket. I want to put some grips here so my pants/track suit does not slip. I had Tech Spec snake skin on my Duke that I really liked.
2. Not sure what tires I will run. The bike has diablo super corsa's. They need to be replaced due to age.
3. Oil change
4. Coolant Flush (I know people like to run engine ice, but I think that leaves track slick if you go down? I don't remember now.)
5. Brake fluid flush
6. Clutch lever flush
7. Tail Tidy

I have not been able to ride the bike really, but my initial impression are as follows:
1. The bike is very narrow. Much more narrow than my CBR track bike (which one would assume it would be because its a twin) but still. I like the narrowness.
2. The clutch engages pretty quick. The span of engagement is rather sudden. Does not really bother me I will not be doing too much stop/go on this bike.
3. Riding position very aggressive. Though I have read it is quite comfortable, I am just coming off the Duke which is very upright. Granted my CBR 600 was agreesive I sold that bike 3 years ago. So it has been a little bit since I rode a true sport bike. Should be nice on the track.
4. Bike looks gorgeous!
5. Bike sounds awesome!
6. I need to youtube how to work the dash screen. D'oh!
Congrats bud. Happy to hear you got it and most importantly you love it. Yes, the bike is loud with stock exhaust. I had a 2016 600RR myself and this bike is lighter and narrower than the Honda. The riding position is aggressive. If it's too much, you can get the Ducati comfort seat. I too am gonna get the tail tidy. Look into Competition Werks and NRG tail tidy as well. I will doing this mod during winter months as I won't be riding it. I too am sticking with regular coolant instead of engine freeze. Just personal choice. You are lucky you got after market fairings as I am sure the OEMs are likebramd new👍. Again congrats

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats. Get a seal mate. The front forks leak a bit due to the seals the $7 seal mate will fix that for you. I highly recommend engine ice. It’s a better Anti freeze. No it’s not slippery if you go down it’s want most tracks recommend you have. I highly recommend Dunlop Q3 pluses for tire replacement. Scrub them in proper and you can also take them on the track if you wish. They have good street and twisties grip. I also recommend when changing the brake fluid that you clean and inspect your calipers and brake pads along with rotors. It made all the difference and I bleed my brakes often. I would have a reputable shop do the service unless your good and comfortable with doing it yourself. I do all my fluids with the exception of my engine flush I had that done when I picked up my bike. I enjoy working on it but I will have the best guy work on my engine though valve timing ect. Don’t be shy ask the people on here are good folks and very helpful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts