Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. I keep reading opinions posted by people that have NEVER tried it, so I did. I am running a Pilot Road 4 190/55 with a Pilot Power 3 front. Tried all three modes and custom settings. No odd behavior or blinking lights that weren't expected. The circumference is closer than the worn 180/60.

Just thought you might like some facts rather than opinions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never tried it but a buddy of mine uses michelin power cup evo 190/55 at the track with zero issues. If thats not enough proof to me its just fine to run than idk what. the size of a power cup evo 190/55 is 654mm and a pirelli slick 180/60 is 656mm so they're basically the same size and with a tape measure edge to edge they're the same width too

You good bro!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys just got curious about this but by any chance can we use the same size of tires of the 1299? 200/55?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Not sure what the advantage would be in using a larger tire.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Not sure what the advantage would be in using a larger tire.
I'll take a guess - larger Contact Patch. Lets say the 180 tire has a CP of 1.25" with 28psi and a 180lb rider. The 190 tire might be 1.4" with the same parameters. Again, just guessing...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it's to NOT have to find 180/60's. Looking at tire sizing for the 959 some tire makers recommend the 190/55 as a direct replacement. Unfortunately, a number of people decided to "claim" that it would cause DTC issues. Of course these people "heard" this, they hadn't tried it. The tire looks pretty much identical on the wheel, and I like the PR4.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You'll be fine. Tc and abs won't be affected. A 180/60 is 656mm tall and a 190/55 is 654mm. From pirelli and Michelin because I'm debating running power cup evos on my bike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had my 959's 1st annual done at the local dealer, and their recommendation as best alternative to the 180/60 was the 190/55 as well. They do have some sponsored guys at the track running 180/55's due to race tyre availability. According to them the TC only gives issues on the 180/55 on the more aggressive settings (cuts in earlier than on the 180/60). Of course the dealer's official recommendation was to use the 180/60 if at all possible . . .

But as TheX mentions, a lot of opinions are flying around on this topic. Personally I run 180/60 Rosso Corsa at the back, planning to go Rosso III since Pirelli now has it available in 180/60. Saw a 821 Monster at the dealer today fitted with a 180/60 Rosso III so I know it exists now:wink2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, and see attached my research on the 180/60 vs the 190/55 in different brands that I could find available at local dealers.

Percentage wise the circumference of the Dunlop SportMax Q3 is the closest to the reference 180/60 Rosso Corsa. But they are all within 1%, so should not give any DTC issues in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh, and see attached my research on the 180/60 vs the 190/55 in different brands that I could find available at local dealers.

Percentage wise the circumference of the Dunlop SportMax Q3 is the closest to the reference 180/60 Rosso Corsa. But they are all within 1%, so should not give any DTC issues in my opinion.
That's a nice chart-thanks!

I've run some Contis in a 190/55 and had the same experience--no TC issues.

180/55 definitely causes issues in the higher settings.

Another vote for 190/55 being ok here :)

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Actually, it's to NOT have to find 180/60's. Looking at tire sizing for the 959 some tire makers recommend the 190/55 as a direct replacement. Unfortunately, a number of people decided to "claim" that it would cause DTC issues. Of course these people "heard" this, they hadn't tried it. The tire looks pretty much identical on the wheel, and I like the PR4.
I use the PR4's on my Monster and have gotten the best mileage over any other tire I've tried. And I've tried a bunch! lol! Would be interesting to hear how they perform (grip wise) on the 959. I just really love the feel of the OE Pirelli on the 959, so that's all I've been using.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had PR4's on my 899 for 7k miles and they still have tons of life left, I only switched them out because I got tired of the 180/55 rear.

Great tires IMO, plenty of grip. My only complaint is the way the profile of the front tire affects handling, but X solved that issue by going with a Pp3 front. Tough to beat that combo.

I'm using a 190/55 rear now and it's been good.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I usually would burn through 3 rears to 1 front on the S4 when it was my primary street bike. (no TC or slipper) I never noticed an issue with the front profile, but a 2001 S4 is a far cry from an 899.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I usually would burn through 3 rears to 1 front on the S4 when it was my primary street bike. (no TC or slipper) I never noticed an issue with the front profile, but a 2001 S4 is a far cry from an 899.
I don't think the front profile is bad, just going from a Rosso Corsa to the PR4 makes the steering feel a little "lazy". The PR4 is the most stable and confidence inspiring tire I've ridden, I just prefer the sharper response of a true supersport tire.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I don't think the front profile is bad, just going from a Rosso Corsa to the PR4 makes the steering feel a little "lazy". The PR4 is the most stable and confidence inspiring tire I've ridden, I just prefer the sharper response of a true supersport tire.
Ah!! I'm with ya now. Yes, I agree with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts