Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this bent gearshift lever due to when the bike softly dropped while I was unscrewing the bolts of the windscreen. The kickstand moves while i was pushing to get some screws from the fairings to come off...

I got one screw out that’s big but the other small screw near the screw is PITA like it moves every time I try to unscrew it. This ball joint Screw type thing... any ideas to get this obstacle over with?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had this bent gearshift lever due to when the bike softly dropped while I was unscrewing the bolts of the windscreen. The kickstand moves while i was pushing to get some screws from the fairings to come off...

I got one screw out that’s big but the other small screw near the screw is PITA like it moves every time I try to unscrew it. This ball joint Screw type thing... any ideas to get this obstacle over with?
Yeah, it's a pain in the a$$. I usually take the bigger bolt out (be sure to catch the washer and the o-ring from both sides!), and then twist/lift the lever so the screw is in a better position and very tediously remove that bolt going through the rod end. Usually a very small ratchet and allen socket works (I think it's a 4mm?). I've debated replacing that stupid bolt with a normal hex-head so you can stick a wrench on it.

Also - loctite (at least blue) both of those bolts upon re-assembly. I've had both come loose, I actually lost the big bolt somehow. Big bolt has red loctite from the factory on it, I just put blue on both of them.

If you have more time, you can remove the front rod-end bolt from the shifter lever going into the transmission, but that also requires removing the clutch slave cylinder (3 bolts) and the clutch rod. This would let you move the quickshifter all around and into an easier position to get that annoying rearward bolt out.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, it's a pain in the a$$. I usually take the bigger bolt out (be sure to catch the washer and the o-ring from both sides!), and then twist/lift the lever so the screw is in a better position and very tediously remove that bolt going through the rod end. Usually a very small ratchet and allen socket works (I think it's a 4mm?). I've debated replacing that stupid bolt with a normal hex-head so you can stick a wrench on it.

Also - loctite (at least blue) both of those bolts upon re-assembly. I've had both come loose, I actually lost the big bolt somehow. Big bolt has red loctite from the factory on it, I just put blue on both of them.

If you have more time, you can remove the front rod-end bolt from the shifter lever going into the transmission, but that also requires removing the clutch slave cylinder (3 bolts) and the clutch rod. This would let you move the quickshifter all around and into an easier position to get that annoying rearward bolt out.

I hope that makes sense.
Yeah got it thanks!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts