Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my 2016 Matte Gray R3 for 959 Panigale AWS last weekend. Thanks to this forum, I had all the information I needed before making my decision and there was no going back after the test ride :).

I am also a first-time Ducati owner. I don't intend to track the bike anytime soon but it's definitely something on my bucket list.

Working on getting all the insurance and registration taken care of this week and I have been told that it will be ready for pick-up on Saturday. It's already been one of the most unproductive weeks I've had at work and currently counting down the longest 96 hours of my life! :grin2:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nicceeee congrats on the plunge! I was in the same boat as you and couldn't leave my 959 at the dealership for more than 5 hours after buying as I immediately got insurance and registration setup ASAP.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicceeee congrats on the plunge! I was in the same boat as you and couldn't leave my 959 at the dealership for more than 5 hours after buying as I immediately got insurance and registration setup ASAP.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks! Yeah, looking forward to connecting with fellow 959 riders and learning more about this awesome machine :)
How many miles do you have on yours? I have a 50 mile commute/ day to work and back. I will be knocking at 600 mile servicing in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
... I don't intend to track the bike anytime soon but it's definitely something on my bucket list....
ahem... let me clear my throat... WAIT! Do I understand that correctly...? You are in the neighborhood of one of THE BEST motorcycle tracks in the world - Loudon - and you don't plan on going "anytime soon" ... :surprise:
:surprise::surprise::surprise: I can't believe it :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh... and congrats @aayp on being a fellow First-Timer!!!

Thanks @Dingo! I currently don't have the means to take my bike to a race track (logistical issues). Also, I'd like to have a dedicated track bike rather than prepping my only bike for track and then change it over for street use.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats! You'll really enjoy the bike, has a ton of character.
Currently at almost 3000 miles.

·
Registered
892 Posts
How many miles do you have on yours? I have a 50 mile commute/ day to work and back. I will be knocking at 600 mile servicing in no time
I too have a daily 50 mile commute, but I often take the worst detours (+20-30 miles) to get to more scenic routes. I've had my 959 for 4 weeks now, actively riding it for the past 3 weeks, have put on 1500 miles under 80% commute / 20% spirited weekend rides. I had to specifically plan my trips to hit the 600 mile service as I could only bring mine in on a weekend and didn't want to end up bringing it in at ~740 miles (had to drive the cage for a couple of days, ended up bringing 959 in for service at 620 miles).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too have a daily 50 mile commute, but I often take the worst detours (+20-30 miles) to get to more scenic routes. I've had my 959 for 4 weeks now, actively riding it for the past 3 weeks, have put on 1500 miles under 80% commute / 20% spirited weekend rides. I had to specifically plan my trips to hit the 600 mile service as I could only bring mine in on a weekend and didn't want to end up bringing it in at ~740 miles (had to drive the cage for a couple of days, ended up bringing 959 in for service at 620 miles).

Now that's my biggest concern. I pick up my bike this weekend. I will get to my 600 mile mark in two weeks and then I will have to shell out $250 for service. My dealer included storage and winterization (oil change, etc.) with the deal. I should have also negotiated the first service . The oil change will be for a month before it's switched out again for winter storage. I am in a big dilemma. Either I control my riding to only put 600-700 miles for this year or go ahead and shell out additional $250-$300 for service.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am in a big dilemma.
Emotionally, ride your bike to your hearts content (get that 600 miles in a week!!). Shell out the first service cost, then ride more! When the time comes, put her away satisfied. :smile2:

Logically, its more dependent on your current situation.

I personally would ride as much as I could before storing for the winter; I would be too sad if I didn't.

Reactions: aayp

·
Registered
52 Posts
ahem... let me clear my throat... WAIT! Do I understand that correctly...? You are in the neighborhood of one of THE BEST motorcycle tracks in the world - Loudon - and you don't plan on going "anytime soon" ... :surprise:
:surprise::surprise::surprise: I can't believe it :surprise::surprise:
Why is Loudon one of the best motorcycle tracks in the world? If anything it's made more to cater to NASCAR. In New England it's about the best we have for motorcycles though.

Loudon's non-stop corner, aside from the single straight on the oval, will tear up the sides of your tires. The nice part about Loudon is that it has large grass run offs off the Nascar oval which is pretty safe for us motorcyclists. Palmer MA, Thompson CT, and Limerock CT (few motorcycle days) are other famous tracks in the New England Area but there is less run off and some corners have tree's. You would think twice about low-siding into them.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
@Panza - I can't imagine it's changed that much since I was there 10 years ago, but the Loudon I know is 13 turns, 5 of which are blind, and 2/3 are elevation changing. The only part of the NASCAR Oval I was on was the straight, and I have roughly 80 hours track time over the course of 5 years.

Perhaps you only ride the NASCAR Oval and not the infield or the back up the hill - especially the Bowl turns 6-9 I believe...

The Loudon I know is an amazingly technical Motorcycle course that was pulled from the sanctioned racing events because of too many deaths from riders hitting the wall at Turn 3 (IIRC)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@aayp - consider the $250 for your first service a bargain - mine cost $380

I am sure it's going to be hard to resist not to put miles on it. What you said makes sense. I will probably get to 600 mile mark asap, get the first service done and put as many miles as I can this season.
Past couple of days have been AMAZING! I hope the first round of snow holds off until early November .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts