Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I've washed my bike a few times and have noticed that the stock grease (white paste stuff that was on the chain) has flung off under the tail and also onto the rear wheel.
I've found that no matter how much I clean it there is still some residue on the wheels. Any advise on what to use to clean it properly without damaging the wheels?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I clean my wheels with Meguiar's Quik Wax spray. Cleans up the wheels quickly and makes them shiny and easy to wipe down later. Just make sure you don't get any on the tires.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'll say it again... the Only item you need to clean your bike is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish
With regard to keeping her clean, I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish, which I've been using for over 20 years :grin2: - on everything. It's that good there's no need to even try anything else. My first bike never saw water, meaning I never Washed it - I Cleaned it (with Honda cleaner) after every ride. I'll continue that tradition with the new 959 and so far all the bugs and grease from the new chain don't even leave a mark. I Highly recommend everyone to get this cleaner!
:wink2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I saw a bunch of people recommend WD40 on the 899 forum. I figured what the hey. And tried it. I am totally in that camp now. It cleans the wheels perfectly and easily. Especially the rear wheel. (this is on the arctic white with red wheels mind you)

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Ike is right with the WD40, just make sure to clean it up after as WD40 tends to attract dust if left on the surface.

Based on your other threads, you have a red 959; I believe us white owners have it worse with our powder coated rims, but WD40 hasn't taken any paint off my rims yet and its worked perfectly (almost zero elbow grease). I follow it up with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the Grime Boss wipes. That way I never have overspray. They work awesome. Took all that chain wax gunk off the under tail of my bike. I follow it up with a wet paper towel so to not have any filmy residue. Works great on my wheels as well.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
@NSWDBG - Probably not, plus it might cost you more. I buy 4-6 cans at a time online, depending on how low my stock is.

@Lisa Fortunato Bennet - with the AWS you don't ever want to spray directly on the body panel, if you do, you might eventually get a shiny location. I always spray HSC&P on the microfiber cloth to clean and then use a new cloth to polish. Couldn't be easier. Don't have to deal with multiple products, getting my hands dirty, overspray, drying water, etc...

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Wd40 is just a thin oil not drastically different from solvent. I'd spray it on a rag and wipe the wheels to get the chain grease, it should not replace regular soap and water or onr washing. I personally used alcohol to take that excess grease off.

Using a paraffin chain lube helps to mitigate flying chain grease.

I can tell you that regardless of the vehicle, Sonax spray on wheel cleaner is the best I've ever used. Spray on, rinse off. Incredible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm from the 899 side and I use WD-40. Why make life more difficult than it has to be.

I take the wheel off if I REALLY want to do a good clean. It gets dirty quick anyway. Good thing my wheels are black.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I can tell you that regardless of the vehicle, Sonax spray on wheel cleaner is the best I've ever used. Spray on, rinse off. Incredible.
This is true, use this on my car's rims with awesome results. On AWS's powder coated rims however, Sonax did essentially minimal work; probably got all the contaminants off really easily (really deep purple change), but nothing on the chain wax my dealer put on.

I also use alcohol on more tough spots, but sparingly as I've found it removes some of the powder coat.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Ouch! Surprised the powdercoat doesn't hold up better to the alcohol. Well there you have it, gang..

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wasn't wiping hard, but on the couple spots I had, putting 70% IPA on a terry towel, then wiping some small spots (~1in diameter), the white towel was pink.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ouch! Surprised the powdercoat doesn't hold up better to the alcohol. Well there you have it, gang..
Definitely stay away from non-chlorinated brakes parts cleaner also ... I made that mistake once because I was changing my brakes and thought using the rest of the brakes parts cleaner on my rims would make for an easy clean.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Why not just use 1 product that removes the grease/dried bug/grime then cleans and finally polishes...
I'll never get it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts