Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you guys looked in to getting the auto blipper otherwise known as clutchless downshifts.

Blipbox fitted on 899

Blipbox on 1199

BSD Blip Box Pro Downshift Blipper Module 959

What does it do ?
This miniature module provides an fully programmable throttle 'auto blip' when ever a down-shift signal is requested by the rider.
The signal to shift comes either from the existing clutch switch (Blip Box-Lite), or from a load cell integrated into the gear linkage (Blip Box-Pro)
There is no re-programming of the ECU and all existing sensors remain in place.
Data from the throttle grip and the on-board CAN bus are used to determine the optimum shifting parameters
Just plug it in using the fully pre-wired adapter loom and ride

Race version - Blip Box - Pro
The professional version 'Blip-Box-pro' still comes fully pre-programmed with a 'blip map' for your bike model but with shift activation from a load cell designed to fit directly to the existing gear change linkages, no new parts or fabrication are needed by the customer.
This product is designed for race or track users who like the concept of shifting down without the clutch
This load cell also replaces the standard up-shift switch on the bike so the Blip-Box takes over up shifting allowing a fully programmable shift load.
Via a dedicated (yet simple) piece of software the Pro user can link up over USB to modify all system parameters enabling custom 'blip maps' , shift loading and many other parameters. (requires additional BB-UCIF programming tool and software)
There will be one for the 959 but it's currently in development not sure when it's coming soon. This is being sold by Ducati Omaha so whoever is close should pop in and check ;)

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Bit pricey for what you're really getting.

Reactions: Dic and DarR

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Bit pricey for what you're really getting.
Unless you're racing and need the benefit at the margin, then it may be an edge. However, personally for the street, $1000 is too rich for the bling and farkle. Add that to the Akrapovic, a 1299's horsepower and features would be much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The 959 is an awesome package for what it is. IMHO, (and at the risk of being flamed), I would buy this 'auto blip' down-shift for no more than $100. Wake me up when Akrapovic exhaust sells for less than $1500. Otherwise, a 1299 with 40+hp's, clutch-less down-shift, more electronics, better suspension, single swing-arm, LED headlights and color LCD display is a better deal by a country mile....IMHO (if you're not on the track competitively).

Reactions: YOGI-G and Dingo

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
The 959 is an awesome package for what it is. IMHO, (and at the risk of being flamed), I would buy this 'auto blip' down-shift for no more than $100. Wake me up when Akrapovic exhaust sells for less than $1500. Otherwise, a 1299 with 40+hp's, clutch-less down-shift, more electronics, better suspension, single swing-arm, LED headlights and color LCD display is a better deal by a country mile....IMHO (if you're not on the track competitively).
I agree with you 100% on the exhaust pricing. I'm hoping for at least the $2k mark, and it doesn't have to be Akrapovic.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There's less than a $5000 difference in price between a 205HP base 1299 (@ $19,795) and a 160HP 959 (@ $14,995). Assimilating all the posts for the last quarter, seem to suggest that Ducati should built a Panigale 959 (S) with all the gadgetry of the 1299( S) for about $18,499.

Reactions: Dic and Kevin.H

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
There's less than a $5000 difference in price between a 205HP base 1299 (@ $19,795) and a 160HP 959 (@ $14,995). Assimilating all the posts for the last quarter, seem to suggest that Ducati should built a Panigale 959 (S) with all the gadgetry of the 1299( S) for about $18,499.
I'd let Oprah sit on my face for a 959S!!!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
And result?

Fyi on ducatiomaha com (I can't post links yet) they sell it for USD 1k - quite expensive..

I tried down QS on SuperSport S and it was really cool and useful.
No luck on Steve, he moved over to manage a service department for a dealer outside NYC and is swamped with work, his loyal following goes there plus all of the existing clients. He never had the time to put it out to the public.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Was it installed on your bike by the previous owner or did you pay for it and had it installed afterwards?

If it was previously on the bike, the question then becomes:
Would you pay aprox $1000 plus install costs to have that feature now?
It was on my bike when i got it, if you plan on spending time on the track it is worth it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Geez, $1k plus installation seems kind of crazy. I like the idea of gaining DQS down but... that's a steep price...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It was on my bike when i got it, if you plan on spending time on the track it is worth it.
Yes, I think that epitomizes the answer if you need that competitive edge.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just picked up this unit. Will report back when up and running.

I am really enjoying the clutchless upshifting. It does reduce workload.

I am finding that I am upshifting sooner during the exit phase of the turn now that I don't have to squeeze the clutch. One less process during an already sensory overloaded part of the turn.

I am curious to see if my corner entries will be faster with later braking if the clutch is no longer part of the process.

Will report back when up and running.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts