Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced clutchless upshift fails? This first happened to me a couple of days ago on the track. During a couple of clutchless upshifts, it kind of surged and stayed in the same gear. Doing an upshift with the clutch worked. This happened to me today on the street. I'm wondering if I should bring the bike in to the dealer...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could be an issue with the quickshifter.

I had the same problem on my 899 and they replaced the QS switch under warranty.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be an issue with the quickshifter.
I had the same problem on my 899 and they replaced the QS switch under warranty.
Mine has happened intermittently. On the track last week, it happened about 5 times throughout the day. However, I had not changed my fluids (brake or clutch). And the clutch fluid was pretty dark. I just had both of those fluids replaced last Friday. I had 4 track days and 6,200 miles on the bike. So, I think I was overdue.

I'm wondering if the upshift failures were because of the unchanged fluid. Or it exaggerated the problem.

I'm debating whether I should spend the time to leave my bike with the dealer to check on this when they might not be able to reproduce the problem. Maybe I should just wait until it happens again (if it does). What do you all think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having the same issue, have tried lubing pivot points, adjusting gear lever, chasing shift styles. And nothing worked. Guess it's going back to the dealer

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my bike as well. Occasional failure to upshift using the quick shifter. It seems to happen occasionally during hard acceleration while shifting above 7000rpm. I’ve tried using more foot pressure to shift but it doesn’t seem to help. Is anyone else continuing to have this problem?

·
Registered
892 Posts
@clawdog79 if you turn off the quickshifter and attempt clutchless upshifting, do you get the same issue?

Assuming that you can shift normally with the clutch, the primary reason a quickshifter or clutchless upshift fails is that the lever doesn't shift in time during the dead-throttle period. Similar to false neutrals, the main fix is to shift faster by more lever force.

Other than that, there's a chance that the lever is binding causing you not to get the full range of motion, thus causing a partial shift and remaining in the same gear.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Check the shift linkage- there’s some slop in there and a nut could’ve come loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've actually experienced this on my last two rides. Last ride I thought it was due to new boots but the realised it'd done it the ride before with old boots.

Clutch fluid, clutch lever, clutch hydraulics etc are all irrelevant as the load on the gearbox is relieved by an ignition cut sensed by the switch on the shift rod.

I'm guessing the switch is possibly on the way out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my bike as well. Occasional failure to upshift using the quick shifter. It seems to happen occasionally during hard acceleration while shifting above 7000rpm. I’ve tried using more foot pressure to shift but it doesn’t seem to help. Is anyone else continuing to have this problem?
Just a quick update to this problem. It is not happening anymore and I’m thinking that the bike just needed some “breaking in” or it was self induced by me. Either way, it hasn’t happened again during my last few rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts