Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 959 I'm going to hopefully purchase this weekend. Dealer offers a lifetime comprehensive warranty on the bike. Its from Euro cycles in Las Vegas, just wanting to see if anyone else has had experience with Comprehensive warrantees from them and if they are to good to be true or actually worth the extra cost.

He told me it covers pretty much all none ware items such as break pads and fluids and standard services are of course not covered in the warranty. Also covers if i break down in the middle of nowhere and need a hotel and the bike tow is covered and any ASE cert bike shop can repair the bike i don't have to go to Las Vegas to get it fixed. Sounds like a really good deal since i don't plan on selling the bike for a looooooooong time. BUT also sounds like to good of a deal haha

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Lifetime comprehensive warranty out of Las Vegas.
What are the odds of you collecting on that?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hmm, that sounds expensive and/or sounds like it covers very specific items. I have a feeling its gonna be something like >10k USD. See if you can get the coverage declarations/agreement/similar document and read over exactly what the warranty covers.

This is one of those, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Keep in mind they have to make money with this - it may seem to have apparent value, but when push comes to shove, perhaps it doesn't cover much and since you sign a contract/agreement on it, you can't feign ignorance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am in charge of the sales and finance department of a multi-franchise dealership for a large auto group and I will tell you the following 2 things.

#1 "lifetime" warranties of any sort that are from a dealer always have a long list of exclusions and are easy for the dealer to find a reason not to pay (came after a service interval was due, didnt do some "recommended service", didnt perform one of your services at their location, etc.) So don't buy into that for a minute.

#2 If you are comfortable paying for a major repair out of pocket at any give time it may happen, you can probably skip the warranty. If not then I would absolutely recommend getting a comp. warranty. Just make sure it is backed by a reputable company.

my $.02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the bike with the comp warranty is 203 monthly financed. so I'm guessing its maybe $30 of the actually loan amount monthly

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well the bike with the comp warranty is 203 monthly financed. so I'm guessing its maybe $30 of the actually loan amount monthly
No reason to guess... do the numbers and figure it out! Then let us know
:wink2:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am in charge of the sales and finance department of a multi-franchise dealership for a large auto group and I will tell you the following 2 things.

#1 "lifetime" warranties of any sort that are from a dealer always have a long list of exclusions and are easy for the dealer to find a reason not to pay (came after a service interval was due, didnt do some "recommended service", didnt perform one of your services at their location, etc.) So don't buy into that for a minute.

#2 If you are comfortable paying for a major repair out of pocket at any give time it may happen, you can probably skip the warranty. If not then I would absolutely recommend getting a comp. warranty. Just make sure it is backed by a reputable company.

my $.02
I echo these comments.
I spent a career in investment management especially in derivatives and more specifically options, which is insurance but on an underlining such as stocks. Rarely do people make money buying options when holding them to expiration which is what this warranty is. Selling insurance (whether options or warranties especially with questionable exclusions) is a profitable long term strategy as long as the seller is receiving an adequate premium in compensation for funding the risk when picking-up nickels in front of the steam roller.

In this case, he seller has limited risk given the nature of the exclusion clauses embedded in these warranties. Moreover, "lifetime" is also limited to the ownership structure of the dealership. Change of ownership or insolvency and it's gone. As a potential buyer, I'd stay away from dealer warranties. I prefer relying on the manufacturer's warranty and self-insure the rest.

Reactions: Kruz and tomi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Skip the comprehensive warranty. Find yourself a motorcycle mechanic friend. Give him cash and beer to do the minor services for you. Or, buddy up with a local shop owner, bring him a bunch of business, and he is more than happy to do favors for you. My two warranty stomping solutions :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Selling insurance (whether options or warranties especially with questionable exclusions) is a profitable long term strategy as long as the seller is receiving an adequate premium in compensation for funding the risk when picking-up nickels in front of the steam roller.
Stealing this @DarR lol

Skip the comprehensive warranty. Find yourself a motorcycle mechanic friend. Give him cash and beer to do the minor services for you. Or, buddy up with a local shop owner, bring him a bunch of business, and he is more than happy to do favors for you. My two warranty stomping solutions :)
Only problem with this is when it comes to replacing expensive parts that you can't buy with beer, also with warranty being 2 years not sure how many local shop guys are going to be very experienced on 2 year old 959's, i would be a little hesitant to give a non ducati tech my baby. But if you live in a little more metropolitan area with some more experienced higher end technicians this could maybe work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not go for that warranty, sounds way too good to be true. Its just too many questions and variables there. Ask your dealer which company they have been colaborating for extended ones. Then you can get extra year or more and have some peace of mind

·
Registered
38 Posts
@jbehnke From my experience working on a slew of different bikes including several Ducatis, Ducati isn't much different than a Honda, or a Yamaha, or any other similar era super sport, in terms of complication. At the end of the day, the big difference is if you have the specialized tools to get the job done or you don't. I feel people get caught up in the idea that Ducatis are like this Ferrari or other supercar with all these advanced systems and electronics, and you have to be a Race Certified Engineer to even put a wrench to it. When in reality it has the same electronics and machinery other bikes do, just implemented in a different way. Just my 2 cents feel free to disagree ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
@jbehnke feel people get caught up in the idea that Ducatis are like this Ferrari or other supercar with all these advanced systems and electronics, and you have to be a Race Certified Engineer to even put a wrench to it.
But this line of thinking makes me feel super duper special and exclusive lol

and yes i do agree with you. However, in my relatively small town midwest area even the most basic electronic systems seem to baffle the guys at the local powersports/fishing gear/grocery store/handyman service/exterminator establishment =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys, I ended up not getting the warranty. I spent about 15 mins reading over everything and it won't cover anything that would actually break down and it turned out to be a 2 year not lifetime. On the bright side the dealer gave me a lifetime on the drivetrain on the 959 for no extra cost, not that its really going to cover anything since i do my own oil/filter changes and that basically voids the warranty since an authorized deanship isn't doing all the service intervals maintenance aside form valve clearance check.

All in all i think i got a great deal and they gave me fresh tires and all the fluids where flushed and replaced and same for the brake pads.

Ive only had it on wet mode and already I'm in love! Cant wait for next weekend to really open her up!

Thank you everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts