Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

New to the forum and enjoying the 959! When I picked up the bike from the dealer I had asked if I should do a hard or soft break in and he replied "just ride it, the computer takes care of all of that." Reading the manual however, makes no mention of this and basically asks you to perform a soft break in. I asked the dealer again and he was convinced that the computer handles all of it slowly giving you more power etc as you go.

I haven't read anyone talk about this on the forum and wonder if any of you have heard of this?

Thanks in advance!

·
487 Posts
Welcome to the site, and you have asked a question that has probably a million different answers to.

Break it in the way you want to break it in, there are too many varying opinions on it. Read up on them, see what makes more sense to you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I were you, I'd probably looking for a new dealer. There is no computer/ECU/logic limiting anything. You can break it in any way you want (hard, soft, medium...I won't go into the whole "How to best break in a new vehicle?" discussion).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Yeah there's just too much discussion on general engine break-in that can go any direction. From what I remember, there is:
  • Keep under 6k RPM for first 600 miles. Don't redline until after 1553mile service.
  • Ride it like you stole it from the beginning.
  • Vary RPMs, don't stay in one range for too long.
  • Ducati has broken in the engines already from factory, break-in "period" is for all other components.
  • Baby the engine until xxx miles then hammer on it.

This is largely a paraphrase of what's out there and some aren't necessarily 959 specific. Like what MotoMillion and ASM said, its really up to how you feel about it.

Almost done w/break in... <- This thread's pretty good about what most of us are doing.

Only stayed under 6,000rpm for the first 500km, then went to the occasional 8,000rpm until first service which I had at 1,300km. I did plenty of hills runs, up down, loading gears, compression braking etc. Now at 2,000k's it seems the occasional shift light and them motor feels good.

Keeping it under 7,500rpm until 2,500km is insane.
500k - 6,000rpm: loads of gear changes and some light load up hills and engine breaking. No full throttle, no QS.
500k-1,300k:8,500rpm loads of gear changes and some heavier loading in as many gears up hills and engine breaking. No full throttle.
1,300k - 2000k: Eased up on gear changes, pretty much ride it like normal, periodic WOT for short bursts not extended periods.
2,000k ride as per normal. Gearbox feels great, engine feels like it's freed up nicely.

We've had several new cars, bikes and built turbo rotary engines through our house. All run in the same and have never had an issue.
Personally, I'm following the break-in procedure that focuses on seating the rings via engine braking and varying the revs, pretty much following what Cazzo does, except I go WOT regularly on wet mode (not truly WOT unless you're in Sport/Race). Maybe the modes are what that dealer was referring to and keeping it in Wet mode will be tame enough? But yeah ASM's right, there's no "computer controlled" break-in.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Lots of good replies here.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the available resources. This being a debuting model, break-in is still fresh in everyone's head within 6 months or less.

Keep us posted on which method you choose!

Also, who is your dealer?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
..."just ride it, the computer takes care of all of that." Reading the manual however, makes no mention of this and basically asks you to perform a soft break in. I asked the dealer again and he was convinced that the computer handles all of it slowly giving you more power etc as you go.

I haven't read anyone talk about this on the forum and wonder if any of you have heard of this?...
That is absurd! I wonder how many years of experience that person has, let alone with the 959. The computer will only take care of the EBC system, the DTC system, and the ENGINE output power (High/Med/Low) that have a direct impact on the engine. From how you described it, the dealer claims the bike will adapt to environment variables over time. No Sir!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read my manual and follow it. Its the manufacturer recommendation. Ducati made the bike and they know it best. Some random guy at the dealership simply does not have even close idea what he is talking about and expresses his opinions in a reckless manner.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I read my manual and follow it. Its the manufacturer recommendation. Ducati made the bike and they know it best. Some random guy at the dealership simply does not have even close idea what he is talking about and expresses his opinions in a reckless manner.
They could sell BMW as well and he assumes that Ducati put RPM limiters on their bikes as well - I could not take my RR past 9k before the first service.

Keep in mind that the manual was coauthored by their lawyers and they tell you not to ride on the street with the Akrapovic or Termignoni installed. Just saying...

At least vary your load on the engine and switch gears often if you are on the freeway for long distances.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Keep in mind that the manual was coauthored by their lawyers and they tell you not to ride on the street with the Akrapovic or Termignoni installed. Just saying...
Ditto, same thing with tire break in of 100 miles, like the recommended breakin procedure that's written by the company lawyers. If you've been riding on squared off tires, they don't want you being got off guard before you become accustomed to the new handling characteristics. The tire mold release compound is also slick and you have to avoid loading up the tires leaving the driveway. I scrub my new tires in within about 5 miles of gradually increasing lean angle and then take it into the twisties and go.

The manufacturer has no idea what your skill level is and it takes even an experienced rider a certain amount of time to be acclimated to the handling and power delivery characteristics of a modern sports machine. Imagine a beginner climbing on a 180 rear wheel horsepower superbike and pinning the throttle, I don't even want to think about the results.

I've broken in seven new sportbikes over the past 10 years and always do it the same way no matter who made the bike. Stay well off the rev limiter, don't lug the motor and vary the rpm to gas load the rings....and don't forget to get the factory fill oil out of there at 600 miles, you'll be amazed at the amount of junk that comes out.

I like to break in out in the twisties as it basically accomplishes all the aforementioned, just ride your bike and use common sense and you'll be fine.

BTW....the salesmen is way off base about the computer, you can redline the motor leaving the dealer's parking lot in Race mode and the computer won't care.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies fellas, I was pretty sure there was no such thing as a computer "break in" on the 959 and appreciate the confirmation. They also sell BMW & Triumph, maybe the owner got it mixed up...

I had a couple of issues holding me back from finishing off the 1000k (at 650k) break in (mirror shook off (weakness at the bolt) and leaking clutch fluid) or else I would have done 'er in a couple of days :)

Otherwise, the bike is a riot. Interestingly I went in to demo a Monster but I didn't gel with it. For kicks I took out the 959 and felt so much more comfortable (read safer) than I did on the Monster, some of the most fun I'd ever had on a bike - so I bought it!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas, I was pretty sure there was no such thing as a computer "break in" on the 959 and appreciate the confirmation. They also sell BMW & Triumph, maybe the owner got it mixed up...

I had a couple of issues holding me back from finishing off the 1000k (at 650k) break in (mirror shook off (weakness at the bolt) and leaking clutch fluid) or else I would have done 'er in a couple of days :)

Otherwise, the bike is a riot. Interestingly I went in to demo a Monster but I didn't gel with it. For kicks I took out the 959 and felt so much more comfortable (read safer) than I did on the Monster, some of the most fun I'd ever had on a bike - so I bought it!

Yea, he most likely confused the 959 with the BMW S1000RR which has a rev limiter patch on the ECU for break in. Congrats on your new bike, enjoy the ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts