Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any coolant leaks yet?

My bike was sitting in the garage over the weekend and I come to find that there's a couple of drops of coolant on the floor. Digging into it, seems like a leak from the bottom of the thermostat, most likely the hose. Drops pooling on the crankcase, dripping down the alternator case onto the floor. Weekend was cool over here, temps dropped to low 40's (degF).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've noticed a slight "sweat" pool in the same location - I have to investigate further, but it doesn't look anything nearly like a "leak"

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is probably leaking at a rate of 1-2 drops an hour. Not a big deal, just a hassle at this point.

Gonna bring it into the dealer soon so they could deal with it. Should be a warranty issue right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to take mine back to the dealer for service because the coolant leak was ruining my exhaust sleeve. Coolant was "weeping" out of a hole in the engine block. I was told by the service technicians that this is pretty common and that it should stop after break in. Ducati warrantied all parts, cleaned up the areas, and said if it continues, engine seals will need to be replaced.

Coolant was pooling in the exact same spot in the pics the OP posted, but mine would eventually run down the face of the clutch housing and drip onto the exhaust, and bake onto it. The residue was impossible to remove. I'm actually curious if my engine is "weeping" or if my leak is coming from the coolant hose like DJ Shrug pointed out. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My leak was on the left side of the engine, has since disappeared after tightening the host clamps. Haven't seen anything come out of my weep port, but it has been a big problem for 899's/1299's from what I've read.

It's time to polish that exhaust @Wesley Richardson!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just posted in another section about this, mine is currently in getting fixed. Only checked because my mates 899 was doing this and had a water pump replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 959 Started leaking coolant a week ago. I got it back from my dealership after chain tensioning. That afternoon I could hear the coolant boiling, then came the wet spots. After that, I could hear the coolant boiling after each ride. Today on my way to work, it lost all the coolant. My dealership is on route to collect the bike. Still no idea what the reason is. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a fully failed pump :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
soooooo i jinxed myself because literally two days after reading this thread while cruising around the forums, I noticed coolant streaks down the right side of my bike when I got to work. Turns out it was leaking from the radiator cap, however, the cap did not fail, turns out the flange was slightly bent. So it was probably like this from day 1 on the showroom and done during production or assembly. The coolant was running down the inside of the fairing and eventually got bad enough to where it hit the body seam and then was blown out and back when at speed.

My riding season just died =(. From the looks of the forecast it will be too cold and wintry (see my "thermal limit" thread") to ride anymore. Here's to a short winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bummer. Heard a lot about the cap's rubber seal failing, but never the radiator flange.

What's your plan from here?

·
Registered
110 Posts
shop called last night and said upper radiator should arrive on friday and repair should be complete saturday morning, i asked them to just drop it back off at my house when they are done where I will try and get 1 last ride to work on it and then tuck it in for the winter =(

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does that classify as a warranty claim?

·
Registered
110 Posts
thankfully it was covered by the warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I am new owner of 959. Only had it for a week from brand new. Notice that my bike has bit of coolant ponding area as well. But didn’t find where it comes from clearly though. Going to take it to dealership for first service. Will update info when bike is back

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully you get somewhere on this with the dealer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My leak was on the left side of the engine, has since disappeared after tightening the host clamps. Haven't seen anything come out of my weep port, but it has been a big problem for 899's/1299's from what I've read.

It's time to polish that exhaust @Wesley Richardson!
After reading this thread I looked at the lower coolant hose on my 959 and found a drop on the bottom of the hose near the clamp, and a puddle on the clutch case.

I will remove the fairings and tighten that clamp.

Too funny. I never expected that going from a Ninja 300 to a ducati 959 would require that i become proficient at servicing brake and coolant systems. This bike is a real project.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too funny. I never expected that going from a Ninja 300 to a ducati 959 would require that i become proficient at servicing brake and coolant systems. This bike is a real project.
Let's hope it stays with the small issues. With the recent Brembo master cylinder recall for other Panigales, I hope nothing minor or major pops up for our 959.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
591 Posts
Let's hope it stays with the small issues. With the recent Brembo master cylinder recall for other Panigales, I hope nothing minor or major pops up for our 959.
Went ahead and tightened up the lower hose clamp. I was able to turn it about a half of a turn with ease, so I am assuming it was loose and the source of the leak. At least I hope so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer had a look. What they put on the paper is" Tightened clamp, No coolant leak visible". They said that could be overflow.
Rode straight back home and noticed couple of fresh drops on the same spot Again.
I am gonna see them tomorrow. After booking the bike in, took it to canyon had a good blast, seems like the harder you ride the less coolant come out. All that leaking coolant has been roasted dry out.
Tiny problem but truly annoying. I guess this is what we have to deal with premium Italian goodies. Part of the ownership joy. LOL

·
Registered
591 Posts
Went ahead and tightened up the lower hose clamp. I was able to turn it about a half of a turn with ease, so I am assuming it was loose and the source of the leak. At least I hope so.
No more leakage of coolant after tightening the clamp and test riding for 20 miles. That seems to have been the issue.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts