Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3,200 miles on the bike. Never an issue. Bone stock other than a +3 rear sprocket and 2 link longer gold chain. I have never added or checked coolant, anything. First 600 mile service was done by Mark at The Ducshop.

Yesterday, I was up riding in the mtns and I stopped and shut the bike off. About 30-60 seconds after shutting it off, red coolant started dribbling out of the overflow hose underneath the bike. Maybe 3 or 4 ounces worth. Never happened before. Temps were not crazy, actually, it is starting to cool off a bit, it was only in the mid 80's and low humidity and the bike read 214 when I shut it off, whereas I have been riding several times stuck in traffic on 98 degree humid days where the temps were in the mid 220's and never had this happen.

Anyway, it spit out a little bit, but that was it. I rode the bike another hour, temps were normal... about 185 degrees going 80mh down the interstate. When I stopped at a traffic light and the temps went back up to the 210-216 range, no coolant coming out... Nothing coming out as I rode.

I got home, shut the bike off, about a minute later a little bit comes out. Less this time, maybe half to 1 ounce. Temp was like 210-214 when I shut it off.

I put my floor fan on the bike to cool it down, remove the side panel, etc... About 45 minutes later I carefully open the radiator cap up to see how low it is. It really wasn't... I mean, maybe half a centimeter? The coolant was basically up to the top. So then I check the overflow, which of course is black, thank you Ducati geniuses for making an overflow without a check-window... LOL

So I drain that, assuming it must be full if coolant is coming out of that... and only like an inch worth of a bottle of Smart Water came out... so maybe 4 ounces? Looking at the size of the expansion tank, that can't be more than 1/8 of that tank's capacity...

So what gives? Radiator cap just decided to go wonky?

No other symptoms, no leaks. Never seen this before on hotter days...

I assume that coolant was blowing past the radiator cap and into the expansion tank and when that filled, some spit out the hose at the bottom of the bike, but when I checked the rad level it was full... so I assume that as it cooled, it sucked the coolant from the expansion tank back in?

Do these caps normally go bad to soon?

Only time I ever had a cap go bad was on my Super Duke 990, but that was because I stepped on it and bent it a little and didn't realize it and it wouldn't seat properly.

Anyone got the OEM part number for this thing, and is there anything else I should check first?

No air pockets, everything seems fine. The bike never overheated... it just spit out some coolant, but only after the bike was turned off.

Weird! Any idears?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ordered a new rad cap and bottle of Agip coolant from AMS Ducati... will test the bike later today and see if it is still doing it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just went out and ran the bike for a bit, let it get up to 216 or 218 or whatever temp the cooling fan kicks on, which it did, and when the fan kicked on, I immediately turned the bike off, figuring that would give me the best chance of inducing this issue.

I listened and didn't hear any burbling. It pushed maybe an inch of coolant into the expansion tank and that was it, and I put a water bottle onto the drain hose to capture any coolant from hitting the floor, and so that I could measure the quantity, and nothing.

I have a conf call now but will do this again later, let it get hotter.

At least with the side panel off, while you can't see the expansion tank level, you can feel it. It's warm/hot where the fluid is and cold above that line. I barely put any in after I topped off and drained the expansion, so cold, it had maybe an inch in there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran it through 3 cycles, letting it get hot, up to 220 degrees and when the fan kicks on, I would shut it off to see if it would spit more coolant and so far it hasn't... Weird huh?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It could be a lot of things, like radiator cap, air in the system, different specs fluid, thermostatic valve, etc. My first try would be to eliminate the air in the system.
Is this taking longer to get the working temperature , or is it normal?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything seems normal, except for it burping out some fluid, exactly 2 times since I have owned the bike, both yesterday. And I cant get it to reproduce it in the garage no matter how long I leave it running, so far at least

·
Registered
182 Posts
But have you added more fluid in it? If not, it could reached its own level

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But have you added more fluid in it? If not, it could reached its own level

No, I have never topped it off or done anything to it. Only had the bike like 4 months now.

When I put the cap back on, I put like 2 ounces of fluid in there, the level was barely down at all...

Just did another heat cycle, letting it get to 218 and the cooling fan kicked on, and I shut it off... basically giving it worse case scenario, trying to replicate what was happening yesterday, no coolant coming out yet...

Maybe it was just a fluke?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope so.

But if you want to test it out again, wait for the second time the fun turns on before shut the engine off.

Good idea, I will go try that now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started it up, and let it run long enough for the cooling fan to kick on once at 218, then it turned off at 212, then back up again to 218, second time it cooled it back down to 212, and then the third time it hit 218 and the fan kicked on, I shut the bike off and let it sit...

Don't smell any coolant, don't see any, don't hear any bubbling or anything... Weird!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It might be ok. I would only try to extract all possible air in the system and complete the level.

·
Registered
892 Posts
So then I check the overflow, which of course is black, thank you Ducati geniuses for making an overflow without a check-window...
There is a check window, its a white vertical plastic window visible from the inside of the wheel well/fender area/near triple tree/that general area - it is straight up useless though unless you can shine a light into the tank.

From the other Panigale forums, one tip is to use the overflow tube (the one that goes from the radiator cap to the overflow tank) as a gauge by unattaching it from the radiator cap and moving it downward until you see the fluid level appear.

I assume that coolant was blowing past the radiator cap and into the expansion tank and when that filled, some spit out the hose at the bottom of the bike, but when I checked the rad level it was full... so I assume that as it cooled, it sucked the coolant from the expansion tank back in?

Do these caps normally go bad to soon?
Maybe it was just a fluke?
It was no fluke. You sir most likely correctly diagnosed it with a problem at the coolant cap.

Radiator cap failing is a known problem for all Panigales and the key indicator is the waterfall of coolant out the overflow tank for no apparent reason (like you stated, your bike never overheated). When you removed the coolant cap after it overflowed, you probably reseated it in a manner that "fixed" the failed cap, but I would still be safe and install the new cap when it arrives.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a check window, its a white vertical plastic window visible from the inside of the wheel well/fender area/near triple tree/that general area - it is straight up useless though unless you can shine a light into the tank.

From the other Panigale forums, one tip is to use the overflow tube (the one that goes from the radiator cap to the overflow tank) as a gauge by unattaching it from the radiator cap and moving it downward until you see the fluid level appear.

It was no fluke. You sir most likely correctly diagnosed it with a problem at the coolant cap.

Radiator cap failing is a known problem for all Panigales and the key indicator is the waterfall of coolant out the overflow tank for no apparent reason (like you stated, your bike never overheated). When you removed the coolant cap after it overflowed, you probably reseated it in a manner that "fixed" the failed cap, but I would still be safe and install the new cap when it arrives.
Good to know. I have a new cap and coolant on order and will pop it on later this week when it arrives. I ordered OEM... Should I have gotten an aftermarket brand, if the OEM ones are hit or miss?

·
Registered
892 Posts
This problem has been prevalent since 2013-ish (899/1199) so I'd say OEM is probably hit or miss since your '18 has it. I don't think anyone has really took the time to find the root cause, but most have just reported that the dealer found a problem with the coolant cap and replaced it with successful results.

When you swap them out, maybe take a good comparison between the two and see if there's any differences (damage-wise, quality, or function). I'd be interested to know if there's any gasket imprints or relief spring differences.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I will do that, compare the two when the new one arrives. Not sure how scientific the comparison will be, as I don't have a set of calipers, but I will see if anything is obviously amiss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts