Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So unfortunately I had a low side on the left side of the bike at about 60mph. It’s a 2018 and I have 595 miles on it. I fell on pavement then the bike slid off the road across a bunch of dirt and gravel. I did have frame sliders installed, but the bike didn’t tumble or anything. It just fell on the left side and slid. It’s mostly cosmetic damage and the mirror. But the shift lever boot also snapped off and the bike will not shift gears easily at all. We got in into neutral somehow but I cannot shift into 1st or 2nd even when putting more leverage on the lever with a wrench. No oil or any fluids leaked out or anything. The clutch slave cylinder is visibly untouched on the outside. Engine runs great. Clutch lever adjustment is proper. Clutch pull feels normal.

Any ideas what the problem could be that’s not allowing the gears to shift?

Also could this cause them to total the bike? There’s already about $3900 worth of parts damage I calculated that’s not including this transmission issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
So unfortunately I had a low side on the left side of the bike at about 60mph. It’s a 2018 and I have 595 miles on it. I fell on pavement then the bike slid off the road across a bunch of dirt and gravel. I did have frame sliders installed, but the bike didn’t tumble or anything. It just fell on the left side and slid. It’s mostly cosmetic damage and the mirror. But the shift lever boot also snapped off and the bike will not shift gears easily at all. We got in into neutral somehow but I cannot shift into 1st or 2nd even when putting more leverage on the lever with a wrench. No oil or any fluids leaked out or anything. The clutch slave cylinder is visibly untouched on the outside. Engine runs great. Clutch lever adjustment is proper. Clutch pull feels normal.

Any ideas what the problem could be that’s not allowing the gears to shift?

Also could this cause them to total the bike? There’s already about $3900 worth of parts damage I calculated that’s not including this transmission issue.
Very sorry to hear this.

First check the left side shifter linkages to make sure nothing is bent or binding. If all is good there, the next step is to check the spring loaded shifter ratchet mechanism. Page 1039 - 1051 in the service manual shows the ratchet mechanism installation and removal, it looks like it's fairly easy to get to, just above the countershaft.

Once you have the cover off, you'll see if anything is mangled.

You could also have a bent shift fork inside the transmission but I seriously doubt this.

The last low side crash I had it was the ratchet mechanism that broke with similar symptoms.

Reactions: Hellfire Beats
1 - 2 of 2 Posts