Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That giant hole located on the right side of the exhaust heat shield..

I went on a 2 hour ride last weekend and my bike got so hot, it left boils on my right thigh. My left thigh got warm but it was bearable.
I literally had to open and close my legs every 10 seconds to vent the heat.

So after tending to my heat wounds, I went to inspect the bike.
I noticed the exhaust heat shield had a "silver dollar" sized hole in it.
I don't really know why it's there but I'm assuming it's for venting.

Here's my theory..
As you're riding, your legs are pressed up against the side of your panigale.
This blocks the airflow from getting to the exhaust pipe located under your seat.
Since the airflow is being blocked by your legs, heat from the exhaust pipe is rising and exiting from that giant hole.
IMO, this is why our right thighs are getting way hotter then our left.

I'm really considering covering that hole up with some sort of heat shielding aluminum tape.

not my picture

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
interesting... my bike never got that hot... but your theory is plausible

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are other threads on this issue pointing to the engine covers as the reason for high heat. I've read a few threads were people have tried Carbon Fiber engine covers and had a level of success. I've had my bike since July and I havent' really had a problem. But i live in Jersey, and right about now, that seat warmer is coming in real handy

·
Registered
892 Posts
Here's my theory..
As you're riding, your legs are pressed up against the side of your panigale.
This blocks the airflow from getting to the exhaust pipe located under your seat.
Since the airflow is being blocked by your legs, heat from the exhaust pipe is rising and exiting from that giant hole.
IMO, this is why our right thighs are getting way hotter then our left.

I'm really considering covering that hole up with some sort of heat shielding aluminum tape.
Try out the aluminum tape, but I doubt it would cause any noticeable change. I don't believe that hole has enough size nor positioning for enough flow rate to go through it to roast our right leg. If at a standstill, natural convection would move a majority of the heat from the exhaust or under the shield towards the license plate, but I could see that that hole would direct heat towards our right leg then.

I believe the right vs. left roasting is more related to the cooling loop; the flow of coolant probably goes from left to right around the jacket on the rear cylinder bank. Most of the heat that we feel on our thighs is due to the head, while the rear exhaust pipe primarily contributes to the butt warming feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup I was completely wrong...
Went on another long ride over the weekend and got burned, again.....

I used the aluminum tape I purchased to heat shield the inside of the subframe cover. Hopefully it'll help...
I'll also be riding with a compression sleeve on my thighs from now on.

I love this bike but this is a huge flaw we have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
interesting... my bike never got that hot... but your theory is plausible
Mine is not that hot either. Whatever heat I had at 50mph is gone at 70mph. My only mod is replacing the stock seat with the thicker DP racing seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just brought my bike home from the dealer. I got 5 miles up the street and my leg was on fire. It took 150 miles to get home and I have what looks like in between 1st and 2nd degree burns on my right thigh. Bumps or boils or whatever, and it hurts like ****.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just brought my bike home from the dealer. I got 5 miles up the street and my leg was on fire. It took 150 miles to get home and I have what looks like in between 1st and 2nd degree burns on my right thigh. Bumps or boils or whatever, and it hurts like ****.
What motorcycle are you coming from? - Found it.

I have been a Yamaha rider since 1993. I've owned 5 Yamahas, 2 FZR600s and 3 R6s. My last bike was stolen and since i'm a bit older and have a little bit of extra income I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to joining the group!
Anecdotal - many have no problems with the heat, some have problem with it, and 1 or 2 users on here have reported getting burnt by their 959s. You left your leg to cook on the cylinder heads/rear exhaust pipe without ever getting air to your thighs and chose to continue on for another ~145 miles? Next level masochism.

I'm not sure any amount of changes you do will help - you may be the minority that is just too sensitive to the heat.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
devVent ON: I think all these guys that are complaining about the heat the engine puts out, and getting burns are f'n pu$$ies - grow some thicker skin and take the skirt off! It's a [email protected] Race Bike for F's Sake!!!
devVent Off:

So now that I got that out of the way, I found that IF/WHEN I feel the heat more than usual (perhaps the wind blows the wrong direction sitting at a red light) all I do is position myself further back in the seat, forcing my legs to open more directing air to the inside of my legs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
devVent ON: I think all these guys that are complaining about the heat the engine puts out, and getting burns are f'n pu$$ies - grow some thicker skin and take the skirt off! It's a [email protected] Race Bike for F's Sake!!!
devVent Off:

So now that I got that out of the way, I found that IF/WHEN I feel the heat more than usual (perhaps the wind blows the wrong direction sitting at a red light) all I do is position myself further back in the seat, forcing my legs to open more directing air to the inside of my legs.
Hahaha! This.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: DJ Shrug and Dingo

·
Registered
14 Posts
devVent Off:
I would understand if people were just complaining about it being hot, but when it's burning you and blistering your skin, it's an issue. I think it's coming from how i may hug the bike with my thighs. I guess i'm laying it right on that head.

I didn't mention that it was also 99 degrees yesterday and that may have helped cook my bits as well. Meh whatever, was just looking to see if someone had a fix.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would understand if people were just complaining about it being hot, but when it's burning you and blistering your skin, it's an issue. I think it's coming from how i may hug the bike with my thighs. I guess i'm laying it right on that head.
I've found that the most comfortable position for sitting as upright as possible also provides the greatest amount of warmth. Good for cold-weather riding and certainly as you've found, not good for hot-weather riding. Sit on the seat with a centered position or further back and not only will you be in a prime position for handling, heat won't be a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've found that the most comfortable position for sitting as upright as possible also provides the greatest amount of warmth. Good for cold-weather riding and certainly as you've found, not good for hot-weather riding. Sit on the seat with a centered position or further back and not only will you be in a prime position for handling, heat won't be a problem.
Yeah I tried several different positions after your last post. That seemed to work the best. Thanks

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@idzr0, @Narcos
Another thing discussed many times to alleviate some heat is wearing leather riding trousers. These pants do not necessarily have to be track pants. There are great choices of street leathers offered that have ventilation yet provide insulation where need be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just did a google search to see if anyone had this exact same problem and came across this thread. I did about 500 miles yesterday. By the time I got home I noticed my right thigh felt like it was cut. Turns out I have a huge burn blister from the bike. And I have the panigale heatshield installed. Gotta figure something else out. It's not an issue with leather pants, but the heat always penetrates my riding jeans.

Also, for those that say they don't feel it, it only happens in whether that's 85 degrees and up and when on roads that are under 50mph.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's not an issue with leather pants, but the heat always penetrates my riding jeans.
This topic has been covered Ad infinitum with many solutions proposed but ultimately, the best is leather.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
This topic has been covered Ad infinitum with many solutions proposed but ultimately, the best is leather.
I would definitely agree! I ride this bike in both full leathers and in jeans / leather jacket, and the engine heat is always less noticeable in leathers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts