Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can get a car PDRd (paintless dent removal), but can you get the same service on a motorcycle? A gas tank is a lot more complex than a quarter panel.

I walked out into my garage the other day and noticed a slight indention in the tank, on the top, where my stomach would rest... No idea at all how it happened. The paint is perfect, there is just an impression there...

The tank is about $3,000 dollars, so repair is my only option.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know if it is made out of Aluminum or Steel? Apparently it is a completely different process depending on what it is made out of, and some shops just can't do aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Anyone know if it is made out of Aluminum or Steel? Apparently it is a completely different process depending on what it is made out of, and some shops just can't do aluminum.
Got a magnet?? Although that doesn't work with certain types of stainless steel. I do believe they are aluminum.

Reactions: msdss

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm a little surprised that the tanks aren't composite at this point... didn't Ducati have composite tanks for a while... those were the ones withe bubbling issue due to the ethanol fuel?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm more surprised that there isn't a single shop in my city that will work on motorcycles. /sigh

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I think part of the problem with the tank is that you can't get to the finished outside from the inside - they're two different pieces of metal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two separate pieces? Can you elaborate? I found a place that will look at it, but they plan on going from the fill cap.

They also said they couldn't just use a glue puller because it would **** up the matte paint.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Imagine a fuel cell that has a cover. There's space between the wall of metal the fuel touches, and the exterior metal that's painted AWS with matte clear.
For safety reasons fuel containers in motor vehicles need to be double walled.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, ****. That's a bust then. ****. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Can you post a pic of the damage?

I'm actually worried hearing that you got that indentation near the stomach. Ever since you first posted, I've been actively keeping my stomach/crotch off the tank near any kind of bumps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Dingo,
So there is no space between the fuel cell and the cover, hat will allow me to get a tool in between the two? Is it walls off and completely enclosed? If so then my options are getting pretty limited. The glue pull method, and the heat + cold method are looking like my only two remaining options. Both of which could discolor my paint.
@DJ Shrug,
Seriously, don't worry about it. There is no way in **** my body caused this dent. Here is a pic of it. It is kind of hard to see. It doesn't show at all on some pictures. It is so high up on the tank I would have had to have pushed it in with my nipples or something.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Fv7ssR1p7XaVBsM1VacF9VcmM

·
Registered
892 Posts
...I would have had to have pushed it in with my nipples or something.
...must have been a cold ride, and a hard left, nip... :grin2:

Yeah that's an odd dent. A little too high up on tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...must have been a cold ride, and a hard left, nip... :grin2:

Yeah that's an odd dent. A little too high up on tank.
Yep. NFC what caused it. But it irritates the **** out of me that I can't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
FYI - 1199 tank is aluminum, 959 tank is metal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 19 of 19 Posts