Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Last year around this time I had a 5 bike short list in the following order:
S1000RR, Panigale 899, Tuono 1100, Brutale 800RR, Monster 1200S
I was concerned about not having enough torque with the 899 and the S1000RR may be just too much bike for the street.
However, the stroked 959 changed the hierarchy with its usable power, great looks and laser precision handling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am done with the Japanese bikes and I want to get something on another level as far as looks build and sound.

My original dream bike was a ducati but the mv has really grown on me. I was looking at the Aprilia and bmw but no need for all that bike.

I think the mv f3 675 rc and the 959 are around the same price if I could get one. If not I save some coin on the 675.

Don't really care about the money just trying to see other people point of view on hot they chose...

·
Registered
215 Posts
F3 was nice. Quality is great and it feels super light and flickable. If you buy it get the 800 for sure unless you want to race it in more classes. I traded my 2013 F3 675 in for my 959 and I'm extremely satisfied with my choice.

Pros for the F3
-lightweight
-unique
-great motor
-brakes were great

Cons for F3
-throttle isn't smooth, 14+ has updated throttle but still not as perfect as the 959
-clutch is super stiff and 13 doesn't have a slipper
-can you get parts and dealer support?
-traction control works best turned off
-the electronic aids weren't refined and didn't do much to change how it rides

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am done with the Japanese bikes and I want to get something on another level as far as looks build and sound.

My original dream bike was a ducati but the mv has really grown on me. I was looking at the Aprilia and bmw but no need for all that bike.

I think the mv f3 675 rc and the 959 are around the same price if I could get one. If not I save some coin on the 675.

Don't really care about the money just trying to see other people point of view on hot they chose...
Unfortunately, MV Agusta - at least in the Dallas area - had very poor support and now it is pretty much nonexistent. Parts and service should be a consideration when choosing your next bike. The benefit Japanese bikes have is that there are typically several dealers from which to choose in any given area.

Ducati can have a presence, but they could have exclusive control over a particular market depending on how big the area is, but least there is a huge amount of aftermarket support and shops that can work on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of support is needed from a dealer?

Outside of buying all my past bikes I have never been to the dealership.

There really is nothing around me for duc or mv. I believe Toronto has a couple for each but that's 4 hrs away.

I guess outside of fixing a recall not sure why I would go?

I really don't want a Japanese bike every Tom dick and Harry has one here...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Warranty and replacement OEM parts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also electronic updates. If you buy a 2013 Mv F3 you'll probably want the updated throttle. It is plug and play but needs an update to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike will be 2016 Maybe 2015 if brand new and serious deal.

These bikes go in more often then Japanese bikes? I never once went in to dealer for Anything with my others...

That sounds kinda scary...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Whether it is a service bulletin update to the ECU or an upgrade that requires the update, the dealer will have to use the DSS. If you wanted to install the Ducati Exhaust, the upmap requires that you use the DSS to unlock it, etc. whereas early 1199 Panigales would allow you to use the upmap directly in the bike.

As another example, the new Anniversario has the updated EVO DTC and DWC which will be available to be applied to the 1299S. At some point in the near future, there could be an update to the 899 or 959 ECU which will give you enhancements such as the throttle example on the MV, so it wouldn't always be a recall issue, necessarily.

I haven't had many issues with my bike, however I did have the clutch master leak and roadside assistance towed it from home to the dealer and they covered the repair and replacement of the damaged fairings including the decals and tank grips.

It isn't as though Japanese bikes are immune to problems... just as the R1 transmission recall recently reminded us.

European Cycle Sports in Dallas used to be a dealer for MV, but dropped them due to part unavailability and lack of service support.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me it was a GT1000 or Monster. My prob with the GT1000 was that used prices were so close to new a Ducati - I was wondering why I would pay a premium for heavy rims, no saftey tech, and average suspension. They look so great though - and kinda versatile.

So I went to the dealer to drive a Monster and some old Harley biker (long grey beard etc - the whole nine yards) came along with the 959. So after the ride, I was okay with the Monster but asked the old fella what he thought of the 959, and he says: "If I had the coin, I'd be leaving with it right now".

So I figured I'd regret not taking it for a spin and hopped on. It was one of the most exhilarating rides I had ever enjoyed. Took her home.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
For me it was a matter of choosing which Ducati. I did not really entertain any other brand. I was looking for a street bike to replace my 2001 Monster S4. It was between a new Monster 1200, a new, old stock 899, used 1199, or new 959. Back in April when I started my research the dealers weren't willing to come down on the 899's enough for to make sense since the 959's were the same msrp. So I ruled out the 899. I couldn't get my head around the new Monsters as they seemed to be cheapened up in certain areas over the older ones. Since I have a 1199 track bike I knew what they were about and decided it was a bit much for the street. So I went for the 959, and for me, it was the right choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to call some of the dealers for duc and mv and see what they have to say. I will also see what I can do for dealership stuff in Detroit cause it's literally 5 min just over the border vs 4hrs to Toronto.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I personally was in between current model years of the 959 and a Daytona R. I test rode both, a STriple R, and Monster 1200 around the time I got my 959. 959 felt the best in my opinion, based on a ~15-mile test ride on each. The Daytona R came close but the choice ultimately came down the difference of price and "character"; I couldn't get the deal I wanted for the 675R and ended up getting a better deal on the 959 than I was expecting.

I wasn't considering other supersport middleweights (R6, ZX6R, GSXR600/750, rip CBR600rr) and felt like heavyweights were too powerful for my use.

In the end, I probably put 90% of my choice based on color and looks, I wanted a white/red bike, and there's really not much out there in that scheme. All the pros of the 959 were just extra perks.

Edit: There's also not an stable MV dealer near me that I know of, so couldn't test those out.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I am going to call some of the dealers for duc and mv and see what they have to say. I will also see what I can do for dealership stuff in Detroit cause it's literally 5 min just over the border vs 4hrs to Toronto.
If you contact Ducati Detroit, make sure you talk to Kevin. Tell him Doug OConnor from Dayton, OH sent you! He will be straight up with you.

Reactions: SSMOKE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to figure out if duc or mv will allow me to have work done in the states to a Canadian bike. I think it's only fair being the nearest dealer is 4hrs away and they should want my bizz.

I can't buy in the states cause of the exchange right now it's crazy...

I did hear duc Detroit had mv but I think that's gone now. There really are no dealers around for them. But that also means there are no bikes around which I like...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have to figure out if duc or mv will allow me to have work done in the states to a Canadian bike. I think it's only fair being the nearest dealer is 4hrs away and they should want my bizz.

I did hear duc Detroit had mv but I think that's gone now. There really are no dealers around for them. But that also means there are no bikes around which I like...

If I recall, AntiHero took his US bike to Europe and had it serviced all over while on his 1199 world tour. Provided they are a Ducati shop, I don't think there should be an issue where you get service.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts

There was an MV dealer in Detroit called TT Cycles but they no longer exist. I know MV was in financial trouble at the beginning of the year, but I'm not sure how that has all played out. I have a friend who had an F4 and had quite a few issues with it, and found it incredibly difficult to get parts and service. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything else was too short except the F3 800 1299 and 959. The MV sold before i could get there plus it needed a steering damper. the 1299 is the stuff of nightmares for a new rider and the 959 came in white

1 - 20 of 38 Posts