Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting the Motive power bleeder to help change the 959 fluids between calls to the dealership. I find the black fluid in the rear reservoir painful to look at, and the clutch fluid is getting darker as well.

Found this post in another ducati forum.

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Speed Bleeders

What do you guys find to be the absolute best way to change your own fluid?

· Registered
63 Posts
The motive power bleeder is awesome for cars but I don't think any special tools are necessary on bikes. You can easily reach the brake lever and the bleeder valves at the same time, so the simple pump/hold method works best for me.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I agree with @PatrickR. I've tried the pump-style bleeders in the past, but I find it's best to do it the old-fashioned way. Box-end wrench, a length of tube, and a jug! Works every time!

PS. Don't for get to bleed the masters too!

Reactions: Pard

· Registered
894 Posts
Yep, the best way is the right way. What's the right way? Unfortunately there's many methods to do the same thing, some more convenient than others.

If convenience is worth the cost of the power bleeder, go ahead. Excluding the squishy lever issue, it'll have the same result as normal lever bleeding, but may just take longer.

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
While waiting for the pressure bleeder to arrive in the mail, I bled the front brake master with the pump the lever method. I will wait for the pressure bleeder to tackle the rotor nipples and do a complete flush.

The fluid bled out of the master with a few air bubbles for the first few pumps, then it was clear of bubbles, however, there was an almost imperceptible bit of black streaking in the bleeding fluid.

What could that be from? It looked like the fluid was being discolored ever so slightly from the nipple metal or some rubber gasket/tube along the way. The streak seemed to come from the edge of the nipple. Perhaps the bleed nipple was dirty.

Lever is firm now. Significantly less pull required to get the rotors to bite.

Will test ride once some snow melts.

· Registered
894 Posts
The fluid bled out of the master with a few air bubbles for the first few pumps, then it was clear of bubbles, however, there was an almost imperceptible bit of black streaking in the bleeding fluid.

What could that be from? It looked like the fluid was being discolored ever so slightly from the nipple metal or some rubber gasket/tube along the way.
It's probably the normal contamination gained via the master cylinder piston's movement and/or moisture absorption/oxidation. Brake fluid moves within the line during and makes it way up to the reservoir, but most of the contaminated flow occurs between the master and the brake caliper. Kind of a tip of the iceberg viewing; if your reservoir is showing some dark fluid, the fluid in the lines is probably a lot darker.

The reaction between the brake fluid and the material of the nipple/cylinder/lines/pistons/etc. is essentially null, so discoloration is mostly from heat and contaminants.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
While waiting for the pressure bleeder to arrive in the mail, I bled the front brake master with the pump the lever method. I will wait for the pressure bleeder to tackle the rotor nipples and do a complete flush.

What could that be from? It looked like the fluid was being discolored ever so slightly from the nipple metal or some rubber gasket/tube along the way. The streak seemed to come from the edge of the nipple. Perhaps the bleed nipple was dirty.

Lever is firm now. Significantly less pull required to get the rotors to bite.

Will test ride once some snow melts.
I've found that with my last three Ducati superbikes the masters need to be bled quite frequently. More so with the clutch than the brake. Usually one or two pumps will bring it back to new. I've never needed to bleed at the calipers for a soft lever, just when I'm flushing out the fluid. I will always start with the master for a soft lever.

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bleed the brakes frequently.

Replaced all the brake fluid yesterday after 6 months since last change. Front and back brakes, and clutch systems using the pump the lever method at all the bleed points.

Quick procedure and the difference in feel, particularly on the front brake is felt afterwards.

Like the sight of clean fluid as well.

Never did end up using the pressure bleeder. Not necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.