Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to repalce OEM oil reservoir with CNC pramac version.

The problem is that my local shop does not have 25 ml one, only 12 ml available. The 12 ml can be used for clutch and rear brake, how about the front brake?

I see the OEM front brake (and also Ducati Perfomance) is bigger than the one on clutch side. Technically, is using smaller oil reservoir affect front brake performance?

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs humidity as it ages increasing the chance of it boiling. Reducing the reservoir size would exacerbate the issue.

Reactions: dougo1199

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I assuming the goal here is ascetics? Personally, when it comes to altering highly critical systems on a motorcycle, I would strongly urge you to err on the side of caution. I cannot say for sure if the change in reservoir size will affect your braking performance as I've never tried it. But IMO the stock units are designed that size for a reason.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
The only way it could impact performance is if the amount of flow in the system is hindered by the amount of volume in the smaller reservoir. For example, (just using round numbers for explanation) if the system uses 5ml every time you pull the lever and the reservoir holds 10ml you are on the knifes edge once the pads start to wear. In this example level of fluid is Critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
182 Posts
In addition to everything that has been said, the front brake reservoir is bigger than the rear because it has two calipers, consequently using more fluid in the system.
It wont affect the brake performance, at least on the first time you use it, while it is stil cold, but after a few times, it will be hotter and then you may have performance issues, especially if you are on track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.