Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title said. I was coming to a stop, down shifting through the gears, was going ~15-20mph and dropped it into neutral and the second I let go of the clutch lever - bike went cold. Same sound it makes when cutting off (kill switch) or turning key. This bike has <1200 miles on it so I'm a little concerned. Did some good old googling and didn't find anything relevant. Will probably hit the dealer up but any ideas as to what the **** happened?

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an issue that sounds like this when I first got my bike and it wasnt up to temp yet. What I found that seemed to fix the problem was not to engine brake down so low in rev's before pulling in clutch. When it was cold and I was braking down to 2500 rpm or so in 2nd it would stall as soon as I pulled the clutch in. Now i go to neutral before the bike gets below 3k rpm and it hasn't done it since. Might be completely different for yours but this worked for mine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had an issue that sounds like this when I first got my bike and it wasnt up to temp yet. What I found that seemed to fix the problem was not to engine brake down so low in rev's before pulling in clutch. When it was cold and I was braking down to 2500 rpm or so in 2nd it would stall as soon as I pulled the clutch in. Now i go to neutral before the bike gets below 3k rpm and it hasn't done it since. Might be completely different for yours but this worked for mine.
Check the linked tread, it seems not to have a unique way of causing the stalling, except when shifting down. For me it was when it was hot, talked to dealer, no idea, they are aware, but does not know what causes it. The last time it happened to me was last Friday, was downshifting to 2nd, stalled, just pulled the clutch and released it, and that restarted the bike. But dive into the tread and get your own conclusion and solution.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @MiamiJAG @jbehnke @Pard, I will read through this. It was the first time I rode the bike in 8 days and it's been cold, 40s 50s (for California that's cold) so maybe that's all it was. The bike was around 160 degrees (my normal Winter temp while cruising). I was just slowly easing into the gears while downshifting. I usually rev match but was being lazy/going slow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happened to me a couple times, usually when coasting/neutral/slowing, at various temps.

At the 1-year service, I added lines for this concern, and the cold-start/no start issue.

There were two software updates performed, one of which seems to have fixed each of these issues. After annual service, no stalling issues and I've gone over 1200 miles since then. Also, no more cold start issue!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happened to me a couple times, usually when coasting/neutral/slowing, at various temps.

At the 1-year service, I added lines for this concern, and the cold-start/no start issue.

There were two software updates performed, one of which seems to have fixed each of these issues. After annual service, no stalling issues and I've gone over 1200 miles since then. Also, no more cold start issue!
Very helpful...I wonder why they wouldn't just automatically have this latest firmware/software updated at purchase but I I'll make sure to mention this-thanks.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very helpful...I wonder why they wouldn't just automatically have this latest firmware/software updated at purchase but I I'll make sure to mention this-thanks.
That sweet, sweet money that's why. Either you pay for the time (even if its a 5 minute fix) or they get to claim it as part of a warranty fix.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That sweet, sweet money that's why. Either you pay for the time (even if its a 5 minute fix) or they get to claim it as part of a warranty fix.
In all honesty, I even question whether some dealers tell their customers that they received or will be receiving an update when one does not exist in order to shift the burden and focus away from them and at Ducati instead.

I lost count of the number of 899 forum members who reported that their dealer had a fix that they were working with Ducati on with regard to the hot start and cold start issues and that it was either applied or would be installed at their next service. Whenever I read about one, I would call AMS Ducati in Dallas, my dealer and one of the largest along with Motocorsa in North America, and ask about it. Unsurprisingly, they had usually never heard of it.

Removing the canister for the hot start issue and altering the mapping from stock to make the AFR less lean for the cold start issue appeared to have been the only recourse.

I had my canister removed and the Termignoni / upmap before I picked up my bike and I have not experienced either for as long as I have owned my Panigale.

Just saying.

Reactions: DJ Shrug

·
Registered
892 Posts
In all honesty, I even question whether some dealers tell their customers that they received or will be receiving an update when one does not exist in order to shift the burden and focus away from them and at Ducati instead.
"I can't recall for sure, but I think Ducati may have sent something which may have included this. I'm not saying that this will fix it, but we might have a fix for you that we can try out. That'll be 400$. By the way, it's 400$ even if it doesn't work."

Not saying all dealers are bad, but I'm sure some of the smaller ones that don't have much business probably have some less-than moral practices to do the bare minimum to get paid. There's probably also a lot of legitimate communications between official Ducati reps and dealers that ultimately remain unofficial.

It's sad that while all of this is happening, we the consumer are simply at the mercy of it all and are on the losing end almost half of the time.

Reactions: sinjin
1 - 10 of 10 Posts