Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard mixed things about downshifting multiple gears at once. Some say you should engage and disengage clutch each time you shift a gear, while others don't seem to think it matters if you shift multiple gears when the clutch is disengaged.

There have been some occasions where I have to stop quickly from 6th gear, and I don't have enough time to cycle through all the gears.

What's your rule on downshifting multiple gears? I didn't find anything on the Owner's manual about it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sometimes I have to downshift more than two or three also. IMHO, I don’t think it is an issue, because professional riders usually downshift a lot of gears. If you try it stopped it might not work, but not on the move.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Physically/mechanically, there is nothing wrong with downshifting (or even upshifting) multiple gears at a time. Disregarding the issues with obvious bogging of the engine or overrevving, the only downside is increased clutch wear if you don't match transmission speed to wheel speed (relative to normal shifts, where the deltas are "normal").

In terms of wear and tear, downshifting multiple gears has the same effect of pulling the clutch in, letting the engine speed drop, then letting the clutch out and catching the engine speed back up.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The only rule is don't hit something in front of you - there's only one way to shift the gears... if you're put in the position to go from 6th to 3rd very quickly then you're likely avoiding an accident ahead. The most efficient way would be to somewhat match the revs of the motor while disengaging the clutch but that could be impossible under certain circumstances. The worst that'll happen is the rear will slide out on you - some extra tire wear, no real harm done.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only rule is don't hit something in front of you - there's only one way to shift the gears... if you're put in the position to go from 6th to 3rd very quickly then you're likely avoiding an accident ahead. The most efficient way would be to somewhat match the revs of the motor while disengaging the clutch but that could be impossible under certain circumstances. The worst that'll happen is the rear will slide out on you - some extra tire wear, no real harm done.

But 959 has slippery clutch doesn’t it?

Another situation could be on track, on hard breaking, when you downshift everything you have to and just concentrate on breaking. Does anybody here does that?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
But 959 has slippery clutch doesn’t it?
Yep, its very hard to get the rear to skip just from downshifts, I have to add a little rear brake to get my 959 to back it out. Ultimately, the slipper clutch just trades wear and tear on the clutch for stability.

Another situation could be on track, on hard breaking, when you downshift everything you have to and just concentrate on breaking. Does anybody here does that?
There was a thread somewhere on here where there was discussion about that, probably one of the rev matching threads. The takeaway is to do whatever makes you more comfortable.

I personally revmatch 100% of the time (or rather, clutchless downshift). I don't want to have to trail brake and feather the clutch at the same time when it matters most.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Timely post, I have my first track day on monday and am very excited/nervous/anxious/worried/pumped about it. This very topic is one of the things I was wondering myself. I think I am on board with the not thinking about downshifting while trail braking while turning in thing. But I will definitely try and play around with one gear at a time and multiple just to see what seems to work best for me.

Side question, @Forewarned is your camera mounted just in front of the gas filler cap via normal go pro sticky mount? Thats the spot i was thinking (have smoked windscreen though so not sure about that) but I was concerned about the adhesive disfiguring the matte paint after removel.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@Forewarned - Great riding and excellent video! You can use an adjustable steering damper! ;) I think we all ride similarly but it's kinda hard to explain - it's good to see in a video...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Timely post, I have my first track day on monday and am very excited/nervous/anxious/worried/pumped about it. This very topic is one of the things I was wondering myself. I think I am on board with the not thinking about downshifting while trail braking while turning in thing. But I will definitely try and play around with one gear at a time and multiple just to see what seems to work best for me.

Side question, @Forewarned is your camera mounted just in front of the gas filler cap via normal go pro sticky mount? Thats the spot i was thinking (have smoked windscreen though so not sure about that) but I was concerned about the adhesive disfiguring the matte paint after removel.
On your first track day don't worry about trail braking, that is something you would be doing in "A" group. Just work on finding your braking marker and braking while straight up and down. Turn in on neutral throttle and start giving it more throttle at the apex. Yes it is just a standard Go Pro sticky just in the middle of the key and gas cap.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I've heard mixed things about downshifting multiple gears at once. Some say you should engage and disengage clutch each time you shift a gear, while others don't seem to think it matters if you shift multiple gears when the clutch is disengaged.

There have been some occasions where I have to stop quickly from 6th gear, and I don't have enough time to cycle through all the gears.

What's your rule on downshifting multiple gears? I didn't find anything on the Owner's manual about it.
Either way is fine, but circumstances may dictate which method works best.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I can now rest easy when doing multiple gear changes while holding in the clutch lever. The takeaway I got is that matching the engine speed with the wheel speed is the goal, and as long as I mitigate any jerking of the motorcycle when engaging the clutch, I'm achieving that goal. This minimizes wear on the clutch.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
It doesn't bother me because I'm expecting and ready for it. Some drag the rear brake to keep the front end down through there, others limit throttle.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed, that steering wobble seen a few times (when you come over the hill?) must have been unsettling. Ohlins adjustable steering damper would solve that problem?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-steering-damper-ducati-899-959-1199-1299

@Dingo, and anybody else using this damper, what setting are you running on your Ohlins damper?

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/sd-004--4479/

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts