Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received and installed most of my Carbon from DP today.... It was going well until the chain guard. I used the shorter bolts that came with it and when I put the last quarter turn on the bolt the head snapped off like nothing.... NOW I have to drill out the bolt...

FML.... Amy suggestions on how to get it out? I was expecting to have to just use a screw extractor , hopefully the red loc tite doesn't make it more difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I suggest you purchase a great screw extractor set like this one. Be sure to get just as good tungsten drill bits to drill a hole in the screw first. Then tap in the extractor with a hammer and turn to remove it.
If the screw is too small for an extractor, then just drill a hole thru it and walk the bit around enough to thin out the walls of it, then you'll be able to bend it in on itself and pull it out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I suggest you purchase a great screw extractor set like this one. Be sure to get just as good tungsten drill bits to drill a hole in the screw first. Then tap in the extractor with a hammer and turn to remove it.
If the screw is too small for an extractor, then just drill a hole thru it and walk the bit around enough to thin out the walls of it, then you'll be able to bend it in on itself and pull it out.
What Dingo said. Just drill a pilot hole, tap the extractor in and it should come out pretty easily. If it doesn't thin it out and either bend it or use tube brush to knock the rest of the screw out. Just be careful not to mess up the threading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was my first thought as well. I picked a set up on amazon. Should be here shortly. My fear is walking the drill bit over the swingarm..... Or, worse yet drill out the threads and have to re-tap it too. It would be just my luck. Nothing is easy..

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Did you get a quality carbide bit set? That's the key to not destroying the threads from the bit walking - start small and punch the screw before starting to drill so the bit doesn't walk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get a quality carbide bit set? That's the key to not destroying the threads from the bit walking - start small and punch the screw before starting to drill so the bit doesn't walk.

@Dingo - I got a decent IRWIN cobalt left hand bit set and the matching flute style screw/bolt extractor set on Amazon. I added the T-Handle w/ square chuck for the extractor set. All about $40 USD shipped.

The drill bit sliced right through the bolt like butter and the extractor gripped like a Ninja without a hammer tap or anything like that.. Came right out. No damage to threads, or swing arm or any other catastrophic failures to speak of. Total time wasted <4 minutes.

NOW, just waiting on the complimentary replacement bolts from the vendor to finish it up. Luckily this was an easy to work, reachable spot with essentially no obstructions. Lesson learned is to not let this happen in any of those tight spots! That would be much more difficult I presume.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Excellent! Now I suggest you upgrade the fasteners to PROTI and avoid a headache from here on out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts