Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing my videos I noticed in one sweeping uphill mid-speed corner I was lighting up the traction control light, probably 5-6 strong blinks. I did feel the rear "hunt" for traction on that corner throughout the day so I'm pretty pleased that the intervention was not drastic.

I want to try leaning on the TC more often, I'm usually very gentle with the throttle but if I can be more aggressive and get on the throttle earlier knowing that the safety net I experienced is there I would be less timid....and totally f'ing psyched!

I was on DTC 3, anyone with experience know how much less intervention there is in DTC 2/1 in comparison to 3? Drastic steps?

Swapping my rear sprocket to a +2 for next season so I would expect to be hitting the DTC earlier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I use DTC Level 3 and have had similar experience, if I get over aggressive on the throttle application while still leaned it will light up the TC but the situation is totally controllable, just a light squirm or hunting for traction as you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I run my 959 on DTC 3, and the 1199 anywhere between 3 and 5, depending on the temp / conditions. I get the DTC light quite often on the 1199, but not so much with the 959 (street) I have not tried running in DTC 1 or 2 on either machine. At our local track (Mid Ohio Sports Car Course) there is a section on the back straight called the "kink" where the rear gets very light at speeds of 170 +, and I will always get a DTC warning there. For me, situations like this is where I really want the DTC working.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
.... there is a section on the back straight called the "kink" where the rear gets very light at speeds of 170 +, and I will always get a DTC warning there.

:surprise: I guess so......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Levels 1 and 2 are the DTC modes specifically for track use, 1 is for RACE tires and 2 is for the STOCK tires. Anything above level 2 on the track is forcing the system to work incorrectly as those modes are programmed for street-level traction conditions, not track surface. Basically it will kick in too often, and at inappropriate times. If you're seeing the DTC lights come on a lot, especially in the same spot on the track over and over, that's actually an indication that the system is not being used correctly. A lot of people have the false impression that it's "safer" to run DTC in a higher level, but that's not how it works. If you define "safety" as the ability to prevent a large step-out of the rear tire up to and including a highside, any level of DTC has that ability, including Level 1. The way DTC is designed to work on the track is to allow the maximum drive force while retaining the safety of preventing large step-outs. If you run it at a higher level than is necessary for the level of grip you have, all you're doing is forcing the system to kick in way too early and slow your drive down.

I work as a track instructor, and one particular guy on an 899 Panigale had that thing going on running his DTC at like level 4 or 5 thinking it was "safer". I had to force him to switch to level 1 (he was running Pirelli slicks), he was scared of doing it because he had that false impression of "safety". He instantly dropped 2 seconds a lap, that's how much his drive was being hurt by the DTC kicking in too early. It's a mental recalibration, you'll be shocked at how much more drive force you have, you might even find the front end getting light in spots it didn't previously.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@ 9Fiddy9

I was thinking about this last night, having owned and tracked S1000RR's and an HP4, their DTC felt different to the 959. It seemed like it was looking at what you were doing and says "ahhh no...not gonna let you have that much power" and turn your throttle into mush. They must have some algorithm that reads the lean angle and just shuts you down if it thought you were gonna spin the rear. I never got brave enough to drill down through the slick modes and play around with that bike, a very serious machine.

On the 959 I only saw the DTC coming in level 3 after the rear was moving a bit. It was allowed to step out a bit, just enough to make the rear wobble a hair, before reining it back in. I assume dropping to 2 or 1 would just allow a more dramatic spin/slip before intervening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts