Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a long time Ducati Owner/lover but over the last few years I have had so many issues and problems dealing with Ducati I can no longer overlook how crappy they are made and how terrible their support is.
My list of bikes I have owned/own in the last 2-3 years are:
2013 1199 Panigale S
2014 Monster 1200
2015 BMW S1000RR
2016 959 Panigale

Now i'll be the first to say I found the S1000RR kinda ugly and nowhere near as sexy as the Ducati but...
After years of Ducati issues and my recent 959 Problems I am just about done with Ducati and it's poor quality and constant fighting for warranty issues.
Not to mention when I asked my dealer what goes wrong with BMW's over a Ducati (they sell both) he replied "nothing really goes wrong with BMW but after seeing all Ducati's issues I'd never personally own one". yes the Dealer said that.

So in the 4 weeks I have owned my 959 I have been sold a bike with the Cold starting issue (Ducati Worldwide literally have no idea how to fix it) and haven't known since Feb so no hope there.
I have also had a gear shift indicator fail and my side stand switch fail, so 3 problems in 4 weeks and my bike has literally been sitting in the workshop for as long as I have ridden it.

This isn't the first bike either all my Ducati's have failed multiply times. So even though they are the only bike I really love I can't overlook the terrible quality and customer service any longer.
Ducati get away with murder because us loyal fans simply go "Oh Ducati's" every time they fail but in actual fact they make terrible quality bikes and I am amazed they even get away with half of what they do to customers. My dealership has currently 5 brand new bikes with issues.
Anyway I am pretty much over Ducati and not going to by another one again, I'd rather sit on a reliable but ugly S1000RR then my pretty 959 paperweight.
Has anyone else had enough and ready to abandon the brand like me?
Dont get me wrong I love the Bikes but I feel like a battered housewife being treated terribly but always willing to try again in case it's different this time :(

Rant Over

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey @robattard,

Sorry you've been plagued with problems. I'm guessing you no longer have the 1199/M1200/S1000RR?

You haven't really posted too much, but how's your communication with your dealer been?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I'd personally go with the Triumph 675R if you are going to change machines, scalpel like handling. I agree the S1000RR is not the prettiest face but still a good all around ride, I looked at one but was wooed by the 959's looks. I'm sorry to hear about all of your difficulties, so far my 959 has been OK, hope this continues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
S1000RR's have problems too. Just check their forums. Fortunately my 959 has been trouble free. If I were to sell mine more sooner than later it would be because of the engine/exhaust heat, which can be brutal. But that's a design flaw that will never go away on an L twin. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
S1000RR's have problems too. Just check their forums. Fortunately my 959 has been trouble free. If I were to sell mine more sooner than later it would be because of the engine/exhaust heat, which can be brutal. But that's a design flaw that will never go away on an L twin. :frown2:

Strange but I did a 100 mile ride on Sunday morning and never even gave the under seat heat issue a thought until you just mentioned it.

I made it through the summer here in Texas without any problem and now with fall and winter coming up, I'm kinda looking forward to having an automatic fanny warmer on those cool morning rides.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

Not yet.... but check back in a year or two as that can always change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Strange but I did a 100 mile ride on Sunday morning and never even gave the under seat heat issue a thought until you just mentioned it.

I made it through the summer here in Texas without any problem and now with fall and winter coming up, I'm kinda looking forward to having an automatic fanny warmer on those cool morning rides.

Rode 100 miles yesterday some coastal (74 degrees) and some inland (94 degrees). Either ambient temperature didn't matter. Back of my right thigh got burned. Was wearing riding jeans with Kevlar. Only way I can handle the heat without getting burned is to wear my leather pants. My wife says "that's a race bike, wear your leathers" :wink2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my first bike ever. got it in May and the only problem Ive had so far is a screw came loose on the plastic piece that surrounds the key. $6 bought me a new one. It takes two tries to start it after a few days sitting but I figure thats normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rode 100 miles yesterday some coastal (74 degrees) and some inland (94 degrees). Either ambient temperature didn't matter. Back of my right thigh got burned. Was wearing riding jeans with Kevlar. Only way I can handle the heat without getting burned is to wear my leather pants. My wife says "that's a race bike, wear your leathers" :wink2:

Yeah I find leathers stop the heat transfer, but then I find the seat to be so freaking slippery no doubt great for track work you could slide your *** around with ease. But I find it brutal on my back roads I'm constantly having to readjust my position due to sliding.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Agreed, I wear my leathers every time I ride and never notice the heat anymore.

Reactions: Renzo520

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I often wear heat out under jeans or leathers in the summer. The heat does not bother me at all whether I am wearing leathers or jeans. I do have the comfort seat, which is a little taller.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer has been pretty good, but I kind of feel like to much has been brushed off as not much we can do. I know their hands are tied to a certain extent but they should never have sold it like it was anyway so I am not very happy about that. If I had know about the extent of the cold starting issue I would never have taken it out of the dealers as a brand new bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i guess I should consider myself lucky I live in a tropical country so the cold starting issue is unheard of. i've owned a monster 796, rode it to 12,000kms before getting the 959. i now have 3,500kms on the 959 and the only problems i've had are a fairing screw got lost and a small nail punctured my rear tire. the heat is an issue but I have found solutions for it.

happy with the brand and my dealer. other motorcycle brands just doesn't get me going like a Ducati.

get what makes you happy! who cares if it's the ugliest looking bike around but if it makes you happy and you like riding it then that's what you should stick to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess I should consider myself lucky I live in a tropical country so the cold starting issue is unheard of. i've owned a monster 796, rode it to 12,000kms before getting the 959. i now have 3,500kms on the 959 and the only problems i've had are a fairing screw got lost and a small nail punctured my rear tire. the heat is an issue but I have found solutions for it.

happy with the brand and my dealer. other motorcycle brands just doesn't get me going like a Ducati.

get what makes you happy! who cares if it's the ugliest looking bike around but if it makes you happy and you like riding it then that's what you should stick to.
At this point i'd just be happy to not have to ride loan bikes all the time :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I am a long time Ducati Owner/lover but over the last few years I have had so many issues and problems dealing with Ducati I can no longer overlook how crappy they are made and how terrible their support is.
My list of bikes I have owned/own in the last 2-3 years are:
2013 1199 Panigale S
2014 Monster 1200
2015 BMW S1000RR
2016 959 Panigale

Now i'll be the first to say I found the S1000RR kinda ugly and nowhere near as sexy as the Ducati but...
After years of Ducati issues and my recent 959 Problems I am just about done with Ducati and it's poor quality and constant fighting for warranty issues.
Not to mention when I asked my dealer what goes wrong with BMW's over a Ducati (they sell both) he replied "nothing really goes wrong with BMW but after seeing all Ducati's issues I'd never personally own one". yes the Dealer said that.

So in the 4 weeks I have owned my 959 I have been sold a bike with the Cold starting issue (Ducati Worldwide literally have no idea how to fix it) and haven't known since Feb so no hope there.
I have also had a gear shift indicator fail and my side stand switch fail, so 3 problems in 4 weeks and my bike has literally been sitting in the workshop for as long as I have ridden it.

This isn't the first bike either all my Ducati's have failed multiply times. So even though they are the only bike I really love I can't overlook the terrible quality and customer service any longer.
Ducati get away with murder because us loyal fans simply go "Oh Ducati's" every time they fail but in actual fact they make terrible quality bikes and I am amazed they even get away with half of what they do to customers. My dealership has currently 5 brand new bikes with issues.
Anyway I am pretty much over Ducati and not going to by another one again, I'd rather sit on a reliable but ugly S1000RR then my pretty 959 paperweight.
Dont get me wrong I love the Bikes but I feel like a battered housewife being treated terribly but always willing to try again in case it's different this time :(

Rant Over
Sorry to hear about your Ducati problems. Ive had 6,000 perfect km's on mine and I love every minute.

BMW and the word "reliable" shouldn't go in the same sentence. I had to replace an abs module on my 1200GS recently, cost me $3000. A friends S1000RR had low battery charge and literally grew a mind of its own. Its lights flickered on and off randomly, the dash went haywire, tacho went banana's.

I hope you have better luck with bikes in the future!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts