1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know what to think about this. I have always loved the twin cylinder sound of the Ducati's and that will inevitably be gone now with their new bikes. Very happy I bought my bike now, though! They will still be awesome I'm sure :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I read ya. I'm not blaming Ducati for trying to get one last kick at the can.
I'm all for the upcoming V4 superbike engine but I hope Ducati keeps the "Panigale" branding.
Panigale, like Ninja, is now a recognizable sportbike label. Hoping Ducati marketing has the good sense to keep it.

Moreover, I like the streetability of a big twin also which is why I ride both a Panigale 959 and a Monster 1200 R. However, there's no mention that the Superquadro and the Testastretta engines are being phased out for other models other than the big superbike.

Reactions: YukonLT

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't know what to think about this. I have always loved the twin cylinder sound of the Ducati's and that will inevitably be gone now with their new bikes. Very happy I bought my bike now, though! They will still be awesome I'm sure :)
What's happening to the twins in the Multistrada, Monster, Supersport, and Hypermotard?

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's happening to the twins in the Multistrada, Monster, Supersport, and Hypermotard?
IIRC, they would keep them, as the Testastretta engine have already euro 4 compliant.

What's I really care about the end of Panigale V2 is about its after market parts. I hope they will have sale out for them so I can get the 959 full akra with reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I think this is long overdue and very welcome, the new V-4 Panigale (or whatever they decide to call it) should be a stunning machine. Don't know if I'll get one yet, I imagine it is going to be one very expensive machine, especially in S level trim. I'm curious to see if they spin off smaller versions of the V-4, maybe a Supersport version. Ditto on keeping the Panigale branding.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I'm looking forward to the V4, should be an awesome machine. My guess is Ducati will keep the pricing relatively close to the current 1299. What I hope they do not do is cheapen up the smaller bits on the bike. I will probably keep the 1199 for another year or so and see how the V4 plays out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm looking forward to the V4, should be an awesome machine. My guess is Ducati will keep the pricing relatively close to the current 1299. What I hope they do not do is cheapen up the smaller bits on the bike. I will probably keep the 1199 for another year or so and see how the V4 plays out.
Dougo, when do you expect the V4 to be available for delivery?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I'm with you Doug, they have to balance the content with the price to keep it competitive, I'm betting they figured all of that out ahead of time though. Ducati has done a very credible job of staying in black ink during pretty tough economic times, they seem to instinctively know what will sell and for how much.

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Registered
892 Posts
...they have to balance the content with the price to keep it competitive...
With the RSV4 being the top bike in recent Motorcycle.com and Bike World 2017 comparisons, I agree with you. Ducati has to be priced competitively to even sell bikes before they can stand toe-to-toe versus the 8 year old, polished Aprilia V4. Sure the MotoGP tech will trickle into this new V4, but undoubtedly, there will be some first release pains.

I'm looking forward to the Ducati V4 nonetheless. By the time I'm wanting a new bike, I was gonna get a RSV4, but at least now there's a new contender.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
With the RSV4 being the top bike in recent Motorcycle.com and Bike World 2017 comparisons, I agree with you. Ducati has to be priced competitively to even sell bikes before they can stand toe-to-toe versus the 8 year old, polished Aprilia V4. Sure the MotoGP tech will trickle into this new V4, but undoubtedly, there will be some first release pains.

I'm looking forward to the Ducati V4 nonetheless. By the time I'm wanting a new bike, I was gonna get a RSV4, but at least now there's a new contender.

Yep, if I get one more liter class bike the new Ducati V4 would be at the very top of my short list.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Dougo, when do you expect the V4 to be available for delivery?
I haven't seen any published release dates other than sometime in 2018. I would guess April - May??

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Yep, if I get one more liter class bike the new Ducati V4 would be at the very top of my short list.:grin2:
I agree. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a 1299 to replace my 1199, but I will wait now.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I'm guessing the V-4 will be 999cc and not near as grunty as the 1299, Ducati will need to come out of the chute swinging on this machine, at least 190 HP at the rear tire to be in the hunt.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I'm guessing the V-4 will be 999cc and not near as grunty as the 1299, Ducati will need to come out of the chute swinging on this machine, at least 190 HP at the rear tire to be in the hunt.
Yes, good point. It will be interesting. The current generation Superquadro engines are the closest to a i4 (rev wise) that Ducati has ever produced.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yes, good point. It will be interesting. The current generation Superquadro engines are the closest to a i4 (rev wise) that Ducati has ever produced.

Yep, the V-4 is going to be a screamer for sure, I'm guessing redline at least in the 13,500 rpm range.

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if the are going to keep a smaller Panigale with a v-twin like the 959? Or will all Panigales go v4?

I am also curious if the v4 will be any wider than the current bikes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Does anyone know if the are going to keep a smaller Panigale with a v-twin like the 959? Or will all Panigales go v4?

I am also curious if the v4 will be any wider than the current bikes.
It's all speculation now since what we know are purely from spy shots and article writers. Previously, there's been the 848, 1098, 1198, then 899/1199, then 959/1299. If it is profitable (which I can only assume it is), they'll do it again, somehow...

Here's a new article that was posted yesterday: Ducati V4 superbike secrets revealed | MCN

It might be wider, but probably not by much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts