Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Brake Pad Friction Material may Detach

If the rear brake pad friction material detaches, it may lengthen the distance needed to stop the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.

Affected Product: 2018 Ducati Panigale 959

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V480000

Manufacturer Ducati North America

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number of Units Affected 72

Summary

Ducati North America (Ducati) is recalling certain 2018 Ducati Panigale V4, Panigale 959, Panigale 1299 FE, and Hypermotard motorcycles. The friction material on the rear brake pads may detach from the backing plate.

Remedy

Ducati will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the rear brake pads. Brake pads from the affected batch will be replaced, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 15, 2018. Owners may contact Ducati customer service at 1-888-391-5446.

4 Associated Documents

Recall Acknowledgement

Recall 573 Report - AMENDMENT 1

Remedy Instructions and TSB - CR160 – Inspection and possible replacement of rear brake pads. Safety Recall Campaign SRV-RCL-18-004

Defect Notice 573 Report

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
To be honest, I don't think I've ever touched the rear brake on my 959.:|

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Panigale's engine/handling characteristics mostly remove the need for the rear brake.

Under EBC 3, there's still quite a bit of engine braking. Unless you're at the limit of trailbraking in a tight corner where you'd benefit from some rear brake to tighten your line, you don't need the rear brake. It still has its use however when you or the guy next to you makes an error at the track.

There's not a lot of engine torque so the 959, similar to other middleweights, is more considered a corner speed bike. Unless you ride it with a point and shoot riding style (with TCS off), you don't really run into problems with wheelies either.

Reactions: Cotonete
1 - 4 of 4 Posts