Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Ducati Performance Comfort Seat

47K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  Connor_ctk 
#1 ·
My Ducati Performance Comfort Seat arrived today. I installed it and sat on the bike and it definitely feels like it will be more comfortable for 200+ mile days. Also, people that have it say that you feel less heat because it's thicker. And that you don't slide around in the seat as much.

I think it looks better with the red stitching and the "Ducati Performance" on the seat. I attached a few pictures (one of the 959 with the comfort seat, one with the stock seat installed, and one of the comfort seat by itself). It was very simple to install.

This does add slightly to the overall height. So, if you're short then it could be an issue. I'll 5'11"/6'0" and it is not an issue whatsoever for me.

I've been sick the last couple days so I might not get a chance to ride it for a couple more days. But once I do I'll report back if I see a big difference in comfort.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: NCducati959
#6 ·
Same size. Except it is taller (more cushion). I attached a few pictures.

Attachments

#13 ·
I've put 2,700 miles on my 959. The first 2,500 with the stock seat. I can tell you the difference is huge if you do long rides. After 200 miles in a day on the stock seat, you butt definitely hurts. The comfort seat provides so much more cushion for the bumps and saddle time. And as I said earlier, it helps a little with the heat, definitely looks better and has some grip so you don't slide around on the seat.

#19 ·
No, not yet. With the extra height added Ill likely be on toes to stand it up. I rode it one time to take it in for its maintenance and the seat made me frown. :smile2:
I'll be curious to hear your impression of the comfort seat.

#28 ·
I think the only add-on options for noticeable heat reduction are wrapping or ceramic coating. Wrapping looks like **** and ceramic coating is expensive. Pick your poison. There's an inexpensive solution (compared to wrapping or coating) that works in hot weather if you have an old pair of insulated pants laying around. Take the lining out and cut it into shorts, about mid-knee high. Sew up the edges where you cut. Wear them under your mesh pants or overpants. No more problems! Remember, insulation works both ways! So cool! This has worked for me with the 1199. I haven't tried with my 959 because I don't find it to be uncomfortably hot. Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how cool your butt stays.

#29 ·
@NYCman Actually, the Rev'it Gear 2 leather pants are awesome as they are all leather around the butt while providing great cooling in front. That, combined with the padded shorts provides plenty of insulation down under. I totally agree with you that insulation works both ways and consequently, I don't want to sacrifice that great ventilation. I suppose it's a question of relativity coming from an 1199. I'm considering the comfort seat if it can alleviate a bit of heat and provide more padding in the process. Heat may be a concern but it's not a big issue.

#30 ·
Those are great pants! I have a pair and they rock. I wouldn't mess with mine either. I guess I should have commented on your earlier post where you said that these were the pants you were wearing. That said, I've worn these with the lining in on hot days and they weren't uncomfortable. Maybe you could give it them a test drive with liner in on a hot day, just to see if it works for you?

#31 ·
I had the dealer upgrade the seat the other day. I road home and it was 34c according to the bike. I found the seat to be slightly more comfortable but I'm sure if it was worth it yet. The heat was the same and overall I was amazed at the heat from the bike. I was riding 120KM and the heat was right with you. But I was still having fun and enjoying the bike!

#37 ·
I don't know, having only sat on one and never ridden one. That said, if my butt was killing me I'd look into having a custom seat made. Where I live, there are shops that specialize in custom motorcycle seats. I hear that they can solve all kinds of issues for those who need them.

#39 ·
My dealer's very accommodative parts manager also ordered a DP Racing seat. The stock seat is definitely out for me having tried the comfort seat. However, I will be choosing between the comfort seat and the racing seat. A quick comparative analysis will follow shortly.

#43 · (Edited)
@Sina
Good info about the construction evolution of the stock seat from 1199, 899 to 959. Did not know that the 959 seat is different from the 899. Your heal gap measurements is congruent to your height. Being 5'9" on a low gravity day, I can flat foot the comfort seat with shock spring under weigh compression. However, I'm 165 "au naturel" which would account for at least another half inch of reach under the heel. For me, the grip is the main reason for change as I did not find the stock seat that uncomfortable. Apparently, the DP race seat does not shift your weigh forward as much as the comfort seat thus alleviating some of the extra weight on the wrists. I'll comment further once I get to try all three back to back.

Reactions: Sina
#52 ·
Your heal gap measurements is congruent to your height. Being 5'9" on a low gravity day, I can flat foot the comfort seat with shock spring under weigh compression. However, I'm 165 "au naturel" which would account for at least another half inch of reach under the heel.
DarR, you say 5'9" and then you say 165 (cm I assume?)
Which is it? LOL. Because 5'9" equals just over 175cm so I'm not sure if that could have been what you where trying to put.
I am 5'9" and I would like to hear if you are able to comfortably flatfoot with the stock and comfort seat alike.

#44 ·
I have now had the opportunity to test all three seats: Stock, DP Comfort and DP Race. Both the DP Comfort seat and DP Race seat are approximately one 0.5 to 1 inch thicker than stock and provide considerably more grip than stock. There's not much difference in thickness between the DP Comfort and DP Race. The DP Comfort seat may be marginally higher and softer but the DP Race seat provides a bit more grip although both will hold you firmly in place while braking. For me, either one is a significant upgrade in comfort and function above stock. I have settled on the DP Race seat.

Attachments

#46 ·
Great comparison! It should be really informative for people. It's interesting to hear that the Race has similar thickness as the Comfort. I still love the red stitching on the Comfort seat. I think it looks very stylish. But I might be bias since that's the one that I own. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.