Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got chance to ride the Supersport for a couple of days while my 959 was in for scheduled service. The Supersport loaner took some getting used to. Then I got used to the Supersport and my 959 felt very different after I picked it up from service. Some thoughts from my experience below.

Riding position: I felt like I was sitting on a Kawasaki 250. Handle bars are high, seat height was low and deep in the motorcycle. Super easy to flat foot, my knees were bent when my feet were on the ground (I'm 5'10"). My body was upright while riding.

Riding dynamics: The Supersport and 959 have similar displacements (937cc vs 959cc), however the power delivery is much more gradual on the Supersport. The clutch lever engages the clutch towards the end of the throw, which helps with gradual power delivery. The Supersport isn't something I would call slow since past 6K RPM I was trying to hold on. The upright riding position makes it a little harder to ride fast since the wind feels stronger. The turning radius is better on the Supersport so u-turns take less effort. The suspension is softer, which helps with comfort but also didn't inspire confidence with cornering.

Styling: The looks are nice, but has nothing on the 959. See the pictures and decide for yourself. (Apologies on the un-rotated pictures, I couldn't figure out how to rotate them for this post)

Verdict
Hopping back on the 959 right after the Supersport, I realized how aggressive the 959 really was. Riding position, how the clutch engages, and how solid it feels while cornering makes the 959 my preferred choice. I bought the right motorcycle for myself, no questions asked. Sometimes you have to ride other bikes to really appreciate the one you own. I do see the what is appealing about the Supersport, but I can't imagine myself buying one despite how comfortable and easy to ride it is. It didn't feel sporty enough for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@tymoto99
I concur with everything you wrote having ridden one on a few occasions.
It's a different bike for sure and would be super appealing as an aggressive (relative to a 950 MultiStrada) sport commuter.
Very comfortable especially vs the 959.
If I had a crystal ball, I could very well see a 1200 SS version coming should the big MultiStrada adopt the V4 desmosedici Stradale engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was back and forth between the two myself when looking to purchase. Pulled the trigger on the 959 without actually riding the Supersport. Guy at work now has a Supersport and I rode it for the first time a couple of days ago. I agree with everything you said including the 959 being the right bike for me.

I loved the Supersport comfort. I was surprised how quick it still felt despite being down significantly on power. I HATED the clutch compared to the 959 (actually stalled it my first take off). The brakes also don't feel anywhere as good in my opinion. Cool bike but 959 is definitely the way to go if you want something on the visceral side of things. To be perfectly honest another guy here has an FZ-09 and for the price difference i'm not sure I would get a Supersport over that bike even. Breaks my heart to say that because I absolutely love Ducati.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts