Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new panigale 959. After some time I know I need my muscle memory back after not riding any sport bikes for a few years. I love the feel of this ducati Igor it’s a complete different feeling compared to Japanese bike for sure. I notice when I ride I let go of the throttle the whole bike idle(jerks/shakes) i was thinking it would let the bike roll smoothly with the throttle. For example if I ride let’s say 50 Noh and i let go both of my hands I was expect the bike to roll smoothly, instead it just shakes makes me nervous that i hand to put the hands back on the bike. I never had that issue when riding cbr1000rr or zx6r that i had in the past. Any idea how to give my right hand a break??

·
Registered
439 Posts
From the sounds of it, you are experiencing the tremendous engine braking characteristics of a high compression twin. It will never approach a smooth roll off or over run of a 4, but putting your EBC to 3 will be your best bet for mitigating it.

Reactions: Dingo and Pard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the sounds of it, you are experiencing the tremendous engine braking characteristics of a high compression twin. It will never approach a smooth roll off or over run of a 4, but putting your EBC to 3 will be your best bet for mitigating it.
I was afraid of that idea of making the adjustment of the mode... it normally been riding on sport mode.. i haven’t tried wet and race mode yet but like i said I just got it. I never like the idea of adjusting anything that’s already default on its own.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was afraid of that idea of making the adjustment of the mode... it normally been riding on sport mode.. i haven’t tried wet and race mode yet but like i said I just got it. I never like the idea of adjusting anything that’s already default on its own.
Along the lines of the advice above, this bike needs to be treated a certain way. Even at the least engine braking setting the roll off throttle of this bike has to be more of a release of pressure than a roll. Very smooth adjustments of pressure both increasing and decreasing throttle make this engine respond best. Precision will be rewarded both in terms of satisfaction of mastering the machine and in terms of performance. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@sor3765
This bike will force you to learn how to be smooth on and off the throttle. You'll also learn to love and use the engine braking with time.
Two lessons you'll never get with a Japanese four.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The jerkyness goes away with higher engine speed. It's a lot smoother beyond 6k, but of course, that's not too practical for the street.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
@sor3765 - you can also adjust the Parameters of each Mode independently. Example: you find that you always want EBC set to 2... you can change EBC in each Mode to 2 so that no matter which mode you're in EBC is how you want it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t read the entire manual... because you guys mention to adjust the EBC and bring it down is each level a significant difference? What’s the pros and cons of lowering the EBC?

·
Registered
439 Posts
One other thing about EBC is that by raising it, you are getting less engine braking as it refers to the amount of engine braking control or intervention that it introduces. So raising EBC from 1 -> 2-> 3 will have more engine braking to less engine braking because of the level of intervention.

By raising the engine braking control, you would have to rely on your brakes slightly more than if you had the setting lower since it won't be slowing you down as much. That would be the only drawback that I could think of. In other words, if you are used to using the engine to decelerate you going into a corner or coming up on another bike / car in traffic, letting off the throttle won't have such as a dramatic effect, so you could come very close to going off the road or hitting something.

The benefit is that using the EBC and slipper function of the clutch, you will have more control over the wheel hop dropping gears before going into a corner, so your rear wheel should have more contact stability than without.

I prefer the overrun of my RR, to be honest... in RACE mode on it, you can let off the throttle and coast as if you have taken it out of gear. Of course, if you weren't used to it reacting that way, you could imagine how dangerous that could become!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
The Ducati twins take some getting used to. Especially if you're used to an i4. As mentioned above, these bikes are a bit of a pain at a casual pace.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So saying bring EBC up to 3?? Or first 2 then test it to my comfort if need more hen 3?
The idea here is you play with the settings as you see fit. Coming from the Buell 1125 bikes with a slipper, I’m already used to engine braking. I’ve been running different settings myself, getting a feel for it. You’ll get the feeling that suits you.

Rev match at EBC 1-2 or with it off. EBC 3 you shouldn’t have to Rev match much at all, ease in the clutch.

-J:cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
So saying bring EBC up to 3?? Or first 2 then test it to my comfort if need more hen 3?
When I bought the Panigale, it was my first superbike and so I didn't have a reference point. The engine braking didn't appear very extreme to me so I slowly moved up from off to 1 to 2 to now, 3.

On the other hand... since then, I have gotten used to my S1000RR which has nearly no engine braking in RACE mode, so when I go back to the Ducati, it is highly noticeable being in 3, even.

I would try setting it to 2 and then 3 and compare. As long as you recognize the impact to your use of the brakes, then I don't think you will have an issue.

As for dumping the clutch after a downshift, I don't know how effective the slipper function is on the Ducati OEM slipper function clutches. I have a Yoyodyne and can downshift as far as I want and the rear wheels stays effectively stable.

The EBC and slipper clutch are similar in their effect and compliment each other, but one is not a replacement for the other since they don't perform exactly the same purpose. To me, slipper is safety whereas EBC is feel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts